U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:34 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I don’t understand the parking lots comments. There’s no longer mass stretches of parking lots except near Staples Center...and there’s really no reason to walk in that area unless you are going to Staples or the convention center.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. LOTS of the parking lots are gone due to buildings going up on those sites.
At least three posts made reference to large areas of parking lots being an impediment to walking in DTLA. This was a very common claim 10 years ago.

I assert it is no longer the case. Again I welcome citing specific locations justifying the idea that there are large swaths of parking lots in DTLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 03:22 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,472,134 times
Quote:
At least three posts made reference to large areas of parking lots being an impediment to walking in DTLA. This was a very common claim 10 years ago.

I assert it is no longer the case. Again I welcome citing specific locations justifying the idea that there are large swaths of parking lots in DTLA.
I’m sure a lot fewer , plus there is still a demand for parking in the area . It comes at a pretty high cost of course.
Not everyone wants to take the public transit to downtown .

Old 06-08-2018, 04:16 PM
DKM

3,854 posts, read 1,368,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I’m sure a lot fewer , plus there is still a demand for parking in the area . It comes at a pretty high cost of course.
Not everyone wants to take the public transit to downtown .
That's because they let bums ride transit for free. It rules out mass transit for most people because we don't want to be around a bunch of nasty scary looking people.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That's because they let bums ride transit for free. It rules out mass transit for most people because we don't want to be around a bunch of nasty scary looking people.
Yeah I remember reading they did some survey or study and people were saying that .

Old 06-08-2018, 06:16 PM

This just announced

15-story Hyatt planned along Broadway in Downtown

https://la.curbed.com/2018/6/8/17443...erald-examiner

Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,289 posts, read 1,619,104 times
Quote:

Yes there have been vast improvements in turning flat surface parking lots into development. Especially that huge lot where Whole Foods is located and across the street. Across the Staples Center and Pico Station, Across the Ace Hotel.

Parking lots (that only act as parking lots) do take away from a good walking experience. Even some fancy multi-level ones do as well. It doesnt stop people from walking it, but does it add to any vibrancy to the area. Here are examples.

Main Street between 2nd/3rd near St Vibianas. Parking lot dressed up with green tarp. Depite the palm trees and plantings and architectural features, it doesnt invite people to want to walk , look, stay on that street. Even across the street with a couple small lots and few buildings/bars is more interesting that this large block parking lot.
https://goo.gl/maps/AEpqpYSEzby

Broadway between 2nd/3rd. Along long stretch of parking lots with surface and multi-level. Nothing really interesting when walking through here on either side.
https://goo.gl/maps/3pr82KkKfZ52

Grand Ave at 8th Street. Interesting because you have several things going on. Whole Foods building with a corner eating place, entrance to supermarket with large windows, and at the other end at 7th is Bottega louie. Thats a nice place to walk with nice street plantings, bike racks. Across the street is a surface lot next to a multistory parking lot. with another parking lot on 8th/Olive. Pretty much most of this huge city block is parking. Nothing inviting, nothing to look at. You can walk it but does other than parking it doesnt add any vibrancy or interest to the walking experience. But across Whole Foods is the new CVS store which takes up the ground level of a 4 story parking lot. You can walk it and look in the windows of people shopping, People walking by to go in the store.
https://goo.gl/maps/BWLDGDHrqyQ2

Like the CVS example, other parking lots, despite taking up large spaces can be multipurposed and add to the walkability and vibrancy to areas.
Here is another large parking lot with a store on ground floor. near 9th/Hope St. This has a Petco. Even the one across the street with colored tarps have ground floor business.
https://goo.gl/maps/c24v5FVJinp

At Hope/11th Street, I think this is the best example of how a parking lot with ground retail really adds to the neighborhood. You have about 10 small business with with trees, plantings, some outdoor tables/chairs. You know this is a parking lot but you dont notice it much when walking past all these shops.
https://goo.gl/maps/Aos4icXmhHv

Despite many small to very large lots gone in the past 10-20 years, There are stlll quite a lot of surface lots left. And lots of boring multi parking lots. When I walk around Old Pasadena, there are so many blocks of great shops, restaurants, and there are parking lots, but you dont really notice them because they are nearly hidden with shops, restaurants. Downtown doesnt do a great job at this. It feels like you alternative between a shop, mutli-story lot, a surface lot and repeat.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:46 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Yes there have been vast improvements in turning flat surface parking lots into development. Especially that huge lot where Whole Foods is located and across the street. Across the Staples Center and Pico Station, Across the Ace Hotel.

Parking lots (that only act as parking lots) do take away from a good walking experience. Even some fancy multi-level ones do as well. It doesnt stop people from walking it, but does it add to any vibrancy to the area. Here are examples.

Main Street between 2nd/3rd near St Vibianas. Parking lot dressed up with green tarp. Depite the palm trees and plantings and architectural features, it doesnt invite people to want to walk , look, stay on that street. Even across the street with a couple small lots and few buildings/bars is more interesting that this large block parking lot.
https://goo.gl/maps/AEpqpYSEzby
The east side of that stretch is LAPD's Motor Transport Division and parking lot. Theres nothing but govt buildings north of there except Redbird.

On the west side theres a few small bars, along with the Higgens building which houses the Edison, Badmaash, and The Mighty. Theres also the Smell in the alleyway where the Edison is. This entire area is mix Govt buildings, which is more responsible for lack of nighttime foot traffic than the parking. So really the only parking lots here are the one at 3rd/Main, and the other side of that being the Ronald Reagan Building. And then the one on the west side of Main behind the Higgins Building.

So really its the govt buildings and not the parking lots that are the issue. I'll agree its a decent two block walk from 4th/Main to 2nd/Main where there are restaurants on both ends of that.

Quote:
Broadway between 2nd/3rd. Along long stretch of parking lots with surface and multi-level. Nothing really interesting when walking through here on either side.
https://goo.gl/maps/3pr82KkKfZ52
Again its govt/LA Times buildings that are really the impediment here. There's just not much interesting on Broadway north of 3rd.

Quote:
Grand Ave at 8th Street. Interesting because you have several things going on. Whole Foods building with a corner eating place, entrance to supermarket with large windows, and at the other end at 7th is Bottega louie. Thats a nice place to walk with nice street plantings, bike racks. Across the street is a surface lot next to a multistory parking lot. with another parking lot on 8th/Olive. Pretty much most of this huge city block is parking. Nothing inviting, nothing to look at. You can walk it but does other than parking it doesnt add any vibrancy or interest to the walking experience. But across Whole Foods is the new CVS store which takes up the ground level of a 4 story parking lot. You can walk it and look in the windows of people shopping, People walking by to go in the store.
https://goo.gl/maps/BWLDGDHrqyQ2
The parking here has been cut by more than 50% over the past 10 years. I don't even really consider this anymore because I am certain all of the parking will be built over soon. But yes, this really is one of the areas where there are still large lots.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:46 PM

24,615 posts, read 25,378,661 times
The city's certainly seems to be trying to get this done within a decade. I think the Olympics is in some way working like a deadline for the city to clean up parts of itself because guests are coming over.

I'm guessing a more than negligible part of the city moving on housing the homeless has to do with developers eyeing the prime location skid row could be since it's like this whole in a donut of rapid development in downtown.

I guess even without eliminating skid row substantially, a donut of consistent development around it is still technically consistent--you just don't go straight down the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or