Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 11,937 times

Advertisements

Family and I are looking to buy a home in the South Bay. I've heard the better parts of Torrance to buy a home are South Torrance (90505) and West Torrance (90503), but not finding much of an inventory in our price range in those areas. I'm finding some nice homes for sale, but in North Torrance (90504). A couple of people have told me that it is not a great neighborhood. Note, we have a small child (3 yo) but want to buy a house with a good school district. I found a home in N. Torrance where the schools are rated 8. I figured that area isn't so bad? Thoughts/information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:37 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
South and West Torrance are (generally) more expensive and considered the richer parts of the city. They're further away from the refinery as well as Gardena/Hawthorne/Lawndale, closer to the beaches and/or PV. The demographics are whiter and more Asian in that direction, while North Torrance has turned into an area with a more notable Hispanic population with time (as most areas in Southern California).

Overall, I think North Torrance is still mostly a solid if not exactly upscale area. Plenty of middle-class people and still a lot safer than pretty much anything else to the North and East for a long while.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk1025 View Post
. A couple of people have told me that it is not a great neighborhood.
Those individuals are elitist nutcakes. North Torrance is plenty fine.

The schools are also good compared to most public school districts. However North High is the lowest performing high school in Torrance. Its still a plenty fine school.

What Veritas Vincit stated is exactly correct.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
South and West Torrance are (generally) more expensive and considered the richer parts of the city. They're further away from the refinery as well as Gardena/Hawthorne/Lawndale, closer to the beaches and/or PV. The demographics are whiter and more Asian in that direction, while North Torrance has turned into an area with a more notable Hispanic population with time (as most areas in Southern California).

Overall, I think North Torrance is still mostly a solid if not exactly upscale area. Plenty of middle-class people and still a lot safer than pretty much anything else to the North and East for a long while.
@Veritas Vincit Thank you. What about Old Torrance? Pretty safe as well?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Those individuals are elitist nutcakes. North Torrance is plenty fine.

The schools are also good compared to most public school districts. However North High is the lowest performing high school in Torrance. Its still a plenty fine school.

What Veritas Vincit stated is exactly correct.
Most likely. Good to know though, thank you!

Old 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM

405 posts, read 394,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

Are there any areas of SoCal that are becoming less Hispanic as time goes on?

Old 05-30-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk1025 View Post
@Veritas Vincit Thank you. What about Old Torrance? Pretty safe as well?

I wouldn't have any qualms about any part of Torrance other than perhaps the sections that are practically already in Harbor Gateway i.e. the very Eastern part of the city and perhaps the small bit in North Torrance that's directly south of Redondo Beach Boulevard and bordering Gardena. Note that those areas aren't the worst either, but they tend to have some similarities with their neighboring cities.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Are there any areas of SoCal that are becoming less Hispanic as time goes on?

I wouldn't know, but I can imagine gentrification may locally lead to an influx of non-Hispanic whites and Asians and perhaps a reduction in Hispanics at a small scale.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 PM

262 posts, read 202,258 times
I was standing at the bus stop in front of the Rite Aid in Torrance at Sepulveda and Hawthorne on July 11th 2016 (Free Slurpee Day at 7/11) and was almost killed by a mentally deranged man that stopped his bicycle ride down the street to yell and curse at me for about five minutes, then picked up his bike, swung it at me and started to punch me. As I fought back he pushed me into traffic and I came very close to being hit by an oncoming car.

So theres that story.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
I was standing at the bus stop in front of the Rite Aid in Torrance at Sepulveda and Hawthorne on July 11th 2016 (Free Slurpee Day at 7/11) and was almost killed by a mentally deranged man that stopped his bicycle ride down the street to yell and curse at me for about five minutes, then picked up his bike, swung it at me and started to punch me. As I fought back he pushed me into traffic and I came very close to being hit by an oncoming car.

So theres that story.

It's coastal California. There's no shortage of mentally deranged bums anywhere. I've seen bums fight in the middle of the day in glitzy Santa Monica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles