Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
I agree with your statistics and you have a valid statement, however I think you missed my point. Remember OP is asking for a retiree’s perspective. And SM is worth living in a condo than a house in Pasadena. These are the last few years of your life. Might aswell make them good.

Pasadena doesn’t offer much that other suburbs don’t whereas the Pacific Ocean is a treasure to wake up to daily.

Waking up to the Ocean, I'm guessing you mean oceanfront..those look to start around $2million now plus the HOA fees. Of course I have no idea the OP budget.

But like everything it's about how much has to spend or willing to spend.

If living in Santa Monica and being right on the ocean is a priority and one has the money I say go for it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 PM

3,013 posts, read 2,140,018 times
We are generally aware of the prevailing pricing levels. Ocean front is not a requirement, reasonable walking distance to the boardwalk/beach is.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,346,722 times
So much can change in 8-10 years. Come back in 7 and bump thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:42 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,885,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I don't think SM is well suited for retirees, personally. For starters, the demographics skew heavily towards the younger age groups (20s, 30s), which may not seem like a big deal initially, but might wear on you after a while (i.e. fewer people to relate to and/or socialize with).

There are many older retirees in Santa Monica, and much to do. Perhaps younger Santa Monicans don't hang out in the same areas, so they don't notice them.

Go to the Montana branch of the library. Every time I'm there at night, and there's a lecture or movie in the community room, almost everyone is over age 50, many over age 60.

Santa Monica College has an Emeritus program. Free "tuition" for seniors. Exercises classes in Palisades Park, creative arts, computers, everything: Welcome to Emeritus College

Library also has free classes: https://smpl.org/ComputerClasses.aspx

Friday's Santa Monica Daily Press had an article about a 96-year-old Santa Monican: Laughing Matters

Old 06-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
low/modest crime rate, pretty good services, mild weather , no hurricanes or high humidity , better public transportation, better medical hospitals mean a lot more to us.

* Santa Monica has rising crime, especially property crime. Increasing homeless, and gangstas coming in on the new train for a day of crime before returning home. It's still safe compared to most parts of L.A. And the police are very responsive. But still ...

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...o_Decades.html

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...ver_Crime.html

http://smdp.com/property-crime-rises...-monica/159400

* Humidity was pretty high these past several years. Didn't used to be when I moved here in 1987, but high humidity in the summer seems to be the thing now. Probably due to SM being near the coast. It's the marine layer.

* Medical care, doctors offices, and hospitals are nearby and first rate. Both St. John's and UCLA.

* No hurricanes, but we're overdue for The Big One (which is what we call the coming earthquake). Should range from a 7.8 to 8.1. We're unprepared throughout L.A. County. Expect lots of broken gas lines and broken water lines. If it happens during the dry season, expect massive fires to spread quickly, with no water to put it out. I was here for the '94 quake. It was a 6.7. It was not fun.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/the-big...ts-say-4386273

http://www.laweekly.com/news/la-to-t...-homes-7616888

http://www.laweekly.com/news/the-fir...ig-one-2173056

Old 06-11-2018, 04:49 PM

240 posts, read 237,995 times
If you're wanting to retire in LA and be closer to the beach, how about just south? I helped a friend's mom buy a condo right by the Redondo Beach Pier a few years ago and she's loving it. She's got a great community of friends there, walkability and bus routes right outside her door, etc etc.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 PM

3,013 posts, read 2,140,018 times
Cinema Cat,

Thank you very much for you two very helpful posts. Both sobering as well as encouraging... Many thank!

LoeMeSomeSFVHouses,

Good point! Will likely look around before buying, but like the SM/Venice area for some time and that remains of the highest interest.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Cinema Cat,

Thank you very much for you two very helpful posts. Both sobering as well as encouraging... Many thank!
Ironically, I'm in my mid 50s and thinking of leaving Santa Monica, to retire elsewhere. Seattle's at the top of my list, but I'm also looking at Portland and Salt Lake City. SLC seems quiet, peaceful, safe. Low crime, low earthquake risk, low drought risk. Much lower cost of living. But perhaps a bit boring, and too family centered for a single guy.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Ironically, I'm in my mid 50s and thinking of leaving Santa Monica, to retire elsewhere. Seattle's at the top of my list, but I'm also looking at Portland and Salt Lake City. SLC seems quiet, peaceful, safe. Low crime, low earthquake risk, low drought risk. Much lower cost of living. But perhaps a bit boring, and too family centered for a single guy.
The Homeless situation in Seattle and Portland sound pretty bad too but probably not as bad as in L.A
I took a short trip to Seattle year before last and saw a guy strung out with a needle in his arm . Never saw that living my whole life in L.A . I guess heroin is a lot more popular there .

I’ve heard good things about Salt Lake City . Supposedly it’s a pretty hip place these days

Salt Lake City is almost as hipster as it gets, ranking third in the world | KUTV

Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 AM

351 posts, read 339,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
May consider the fact that weather in Seattle is tougher when you're older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles