U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:37 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,285,767 times

Advertisements

If you cannot make in California on 625k God help us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM

7,067 posts, read 7,033,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Pushed to the Inland Empire by the high cost of living, LAFC's Benny Feilhaber learned to enjoy his hours-long commute by train

<mod cut: please don't quote more than a couple sentences>

“They don’t see the positives,” he said. “I love this. Every day, I’m on this train, I look at the freeway. Always traffic. These guys are driving and I’m just here with my feet up, watching my Netflix shows.”

And he returns home to a six-bedroom house. He couldn’t do that in Los Angeles.

Pushed to the Inland Empire by the high cost of living, LAFC's Benny Feilhaber learned to enjoy his hours-long commute by train
And the point is...... celebrities and sports figures deserve better than us average citizens.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,378,491 times
Quote:

<mod cut: please don't quote more than a couple sentences>

“They don’t see the positives,” he said. “I love this. Every day, I’m on this train, I look at the freeway. Always traffic. These guys are driving and I’m just here with my feet up, watching my Netflix shows.”

And he returns home to a six-bedroom house. He couldn’t do that in Los Angeles.

I'm disappointed you're trying to make us draw your deceptive conclusion with this article.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM

742 posts, read 597,990 times
Obviously the train to the campus was the deciding factor for the I.E. location. He now lives up on the hill and in a community where soccer is widespread.

Here are random samples of the "McMansions".
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...a_CA/sqft-4000
This is about 40 miles from CSULA. Manhattan Beach is 28 miles from CSULA, but that would not have been the subject of a newspaper article. Claremont and San Dimas are a few miles closer but the houses in Alta Loma are newer and shinier.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,455,304 times
He’s living like a king ... the King of Cucamonga .

Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,281,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm disappointed you're trying to make us draw your deceptive conclusion with this article.
Uh, what?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:56 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,378,491 times
Quote:
Uh, what?
OK, let me walk that back a little. It was not your conclusion, but the LA Times conclusion...

But it is deceptive. He was not forced to live there. He chose to live there because he wanted a big house. And the headline implies he's suffering. He's not.

As to his "high" salary, who knows how long he will be making that salary. He could be hurt the next game and never play soccer again. His earning potential is limited by his physical abilities. It's a risk.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,281,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
OK, let me walk that back a little. It was not your conclusion, but the LA Times conclusion...

But it is deceptive. He was not forced to live there. He chose to live there because he wanted a big house. And the headline implies he's suffering. He's not.

As to his "high" salary, who knows how long he will be making that salary. He could be hurt the next game and never play soccer again. His earning potential is limited by his physical abilities. It's a risk.
Just for the record, I don't have anything against the I.E. I prefer OC over neighboring counties due to its central location and cooler weather, however, the I.E. has some great places too.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 PM

681 posts, read 545,135 times
The article implies this type of commute is unusual. Seems rather nice compared to the majority of commutes that require driving the freeways.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 PM

681 posts, read 545,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
“Feilhaber and his wife started exploring housing options in the area. At his previous stop, he lived in a 4,600-square-foot house he purchased in the Kansas City suburb of Overland Park. He and his wife have two daughters, ages 4 and 2, as well as a dog. He wanted to provide them with as much space as they had in their old home.“

See, he wants to own a big spacious home and the IE is the perfect place for that while still being close to LA and Orange County. Many people do in. A 4600 sf house would cost him minimum 2 million dollars in South Pasadena near Cal State LA.

This soccer player probably bought in Rancho Cucamonga. You could get a 4,000 sf house on a full acre for 800k.

“including $20 to park at the Metrolink station near his home.“ Rancho Cucamonga is the only Metrolink Station to charge for parking in the entire rail system.
Upland and Covina charge too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or