Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 11:04 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a thread from six months ago or more which showed somebody driving around downtown LA seeing nothing but tent after tent on the city sidewalks. Can somebody please send me the link for this homemade video? I thought that I subscribed to the thread, but I guess not. Would like to show this to somebody considering a move to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
That would be doing a disservice to the person considering the move. LA is not like that as a whole so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish other than bash LA to this person.

That said, the forum is here for the taking. Use your mouse to click to the next page and the next, until you find what you want.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I'm looking for a thread from six months ago or more which showed somebody driving around downtown LA seeing nothing but tent after tent on the city sidewalks. Can somebody please send me the link for this homemade video? I thought that I subscribed to the thread, but I guess not. Would like to show this to somebody considering a move to LA.
I'm the OP of that thread, but I can't remember its title.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:26 PM

I believe this is what I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsfwo6R-Y

Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That would be doing a disservice to the person considering the move. LA is not like that as a whole so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish other than bash LA to this person.

That said, the forum is here for the taking. Use your mouse to click to the next page and the next, until you find what you want.
I read on here that 50% of LA residents are trying to get out. Didn't mean to insult residents of LA or LA itself. Just under the impression that the residents are ignored by City Council, and the decline of LA could
have been prevented if City Council paid attention years ago. Not trying to be cynical or a smart-ass.
It's my daughter who is actively looking for employment in LA and San Francisco. We are having problems up here in Seattle also. I believe we are #3 in the nation in regards to homelessness. I read the "Diseased Streets" thread about SF. Thirty million dollars spent to clean up poop alone? Scary.
I was homeless for ten years total, two stretches. I didn't conduct myself like this. Nobody I knew conducted him/herself like this. I/we would have been shunned by everyone in the shelters, everyone in Tent City , and everyone we knew if we let ourselves get filthy and nasty and paid no mind to our surroundings: thrown in the shower too, literally. I know whereof I speak.
These people out here now are deranged. Not homeless, mentally ill.
I do not want my daughter going somewhere which has worse social problems than Seattle.
That is why I want that video.

Last edited by AleeGee; 06-12-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I read on here that 50% of LA residents are trying to get out. Didn't mean to insult residents of LA or LA itself. Just under the impression that the residents are ignored by City Council, and the decline of LA could
have been prevented if City Council paid attention years ago. Not trying to be cynical or a smart-ass.
You have to realize that some of the most frequent posters on this forum have political leanings that are very out of place with most Americans living in big cities, and certainly with those in LA. There is also a component of not liking change and the increasing density of the city. The posters like to come on here and complain/vent, as there aren't enough people that feel the same way to change anything politically.

There are some serious issues in LA, mainly homelessness and housing costs. Traffic is an issue as well, but can be mitigated by living close to work. But overall, if you can afford to live here, it's pretty enjoyable. Crime is lower than many big cities. The weather is great most of the year. There is so much to do, both from a outdoors stanpoint as well as cultural activities. I have young kids, and we're never at a loss for fun stuff to do. I find the city reasonably responsive and well run. They're not very proactive, but if you report issues they respond in a reasonable time frame. The big exception, and the biggest issue in LA, is homeless people.

The city has been hamstrung by two external issues in dealing with the homeless. One is federal court decisions, which have said that vagrancy laws can't be enforced until there are an adequate numbers of shelter beds to take in all homeless. The other is state prison overcrowding, which means that really low level offenders (disturbing the peace, public intoxication, public urination, etc) that used to spend short amounts of time in county jail, are now immediately released due to the county jail already being full of people that should be in state prison. With no potential for them to spend time behind bars, the police don't even bother to arrest the homeless for low-level offenses. They'll be out before the officer finishes the extra paperwork.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I believe this is what I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8fsfwo6R-Y
KTLA should hire you as an investigative reporter. Great real life footage

Old 06-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
KTLA should hire you as an investigative reporter. Great real life footage

I didn't make that video.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I didn't make that video.
Still a good video. Was surprised when she mentioned zillow. Where does all that money go??

Old 06-14-2018, 10:50 PM

I've become addicted to this guy's videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: