U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. My wife is in health care and can pretty much get a job anywhere close by. I have a small consulting firm and can mostly work from home/travel to various client sites, but I can go at off hours. I like the idea of Culver City. Is that considered the west side? What $ would I need to go to to get a decent family home with a yard? I’m thinking something like the dunfy house from modern family. Where do I find that? Or the place where Steve carrel lived in that movie with Ryan gosling and Emma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 PM
DKM

3,854 posts, read 1,371,442 times
Take one of your requirements off the list and you got plenty of choices. All those requirements, going to be tough with 1.5. Sad but true. Maybe North Redondo Beach.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,037,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxybishi View Post
Thanks for the responses. My wife is in health care and can pretty much get a job anywhere close by. I have a small consulting firm and can mostly work from home/travel to various client sites, but I can go at off hours. I like the idea of Culver City. Is that considered the west side? What $ would I need to go to to get a decent family home with a yard? I’m thinking something like the dunfy house from modern family. Where do I find that? Or the place where Steve carrel lived in that movie with Ryan gosling and Emma
Neither of those are in very walkable neighborhoods. The Dunphy house is in the Cheviot Hills neighborhood in LA and would go for around $3 million. The house from Crazy Stupid Love is in Altadena. The price point would probably be around $1.5 million, but that neighborhood is pretty auto oriented. There aren't even sidewalks. It's Pasadena school district, which overall isn't great, but there are some decent schools. I don't know much about the particular schools that that neighborhood feeds.

The closest thing that would fit your budget and have good schools and walkable neighborhood is probably an area that used to be served by the Redline that were built pre-World War II. Any areas with all your wants on the West Side or OC are probably out of your price range. There are several LA neighborhoods that could fit the bill, but you'll probably going to get a 3/2 between 1500-2000 sqft, and obviously you have to do your homework on the individual schools that areas are assigned to.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM

868 posts, read 869,879 times
I'd forget the city of LA proper because the public school system is below average overall and if you want to live in a nicer neighborhood such as Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, or Encino that may be zoned to better local public schools, you will find next to nothing for $1.5 million.

Given that your wife can likely get a job just about anywhere and that you are location flexible, it definitely opens up a lot of options.

La Canada and La Crescenta have great public schools and are fairly close to downtown/central LA. You can find a decent home for $1.5 million and those areas have great public schools. More house for your $ in La Crescenta compared to La Canada, which is a bit nicer. These adjacent areas are also convenient to the Burbank airport if you'll be traveling a fair amount.

I'd also recommend south OC as it's very family-friendly and spacious with good public schools. You can find a good-sized home (over 3,000 sq. ft.) with a fairly nice yard for under $1.5 million in cities such as Tustin and Laguna Niguel. Also convenient to John Wayne airport if you'll be traveling a fair amount.

For the aforementioned options, you won't be able to quickly walk to restaurants/shops, but other than that, these are great suburbs to raise a family.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 18,758 times
Default Consider South Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxybishi View Post
Hello. We are thinking about moving to Southern California from Lincoln park in Chicago. We would like to find a neighborhood with great public schools for our 6 and 9 year old boys, a nice house with a yard, and something that has a walking distance area with shops and restaurants. Our budget is 1.5m and we don’t have jobs yet, so we are flexible on the location. We would love an area with lots of kids around, fun and interesting neighbors, etc. What do you suggest? Thanks!
South Pasadena fits all your criteria. It's about 10 minutes to downtown LA, great public schools, very family oriented, very walkable downtown with quaint local shops and restaurants and a strong school system. Home inventory is always somewhat limited, with many offers for cash above ask, but a 3/2 with a nice yard is doable for $1.5M.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 PM

924 posts, read 601,871 times
Wiseburn School District has the best schools (humble opinion) - We are not close to a lot of restaurants (walking distance) however - If you head west on Rosecrans you will meet Manhattan Beach and there are some nice restaurants there along with new shopping area called THE POINTE. Caters to the rich in Manhattan Beach. Lots of LA Kings live in the area - sports people. Directly across from the The Pointe is Manhattan Beach Mall. Rich Isen does his Sports Show in Continental Plaza area (El Segundo)

HollyGlen is an area you might like. Seek out a realtor either Shane Falkenstein or Kathy Jenkins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or