U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,477,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, that's quite possible since prices have gone up pretty much everywhere in Los Angeles and saying whether or not a neighborhood has improved is difficult since improvement can encompass a lot of factors and people weigh those differently. Also, people get old and used to things a certain way, so there's always going to be some contingent of people who take change even when it's not necessarily good or bad, to be not to their liking.

Those homeless encampments are pretty intense. Does Inglewood seem heavy hit with them?
Been a while since I’ve been in Inglewood . I do think just based on them being their own city they might have an advantage versus being a part of LA

The independent cities in the la area don’t really seem to have the homeless encampments like L.A does .

You see homeless people but they generally seem more well behaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:31 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,712,722 times
Quote:
How many years are you going to spend paying off someone else’s mortgage instead of your own? Is that the game plan?

I get your mentality which makes sense in some instances. The only issue is if you plan on sticking around LA for a while, because your wage may not track with your housing costs. That happened in the Bay Area and NYC. With that, those who had intended to stick around got pushed out very far into the boonies or out of the area entirely, while those who made the unthinkable error of buying into less than ideal neighborhoods saw their housing prices remain stable while their neighborhoods drastically changed for the better. Of course, it’s not guaranteed that LA goes down the same route.
Honest answer, since you seemed to ask an honest question............the game plan for me personally is to live comfortably. By way of price, and peace of mind in my surroundings. I grew up in a couple of terrible areas in NYC and unfortunately had to live like that for some of the real poor years in LA. I've seen enough to not do it again. Renting allows me more financial flexibility, flexibility to live in better areas, and flexibility to move if I grow tired of a location or need to move for a job or relationship.

The idea of home ownership to some means the world, to me, I like having my money tied up in other places, and having more discretionary income and liquid assets.

I'm not completely against the idea of purchasing property, but I am amazed what people will go through to pull it off, and where people of decent means will choose to live. Like driving from Palmdale into the valley is just insane to me, but we all have our different comfort levels. To each his own how you spend your money, as long as its not coming from the government.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM

18,182 posts, read 11,692,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Honest answer, since you seemed to ask an honest question............the game plan for me personally is to live comfortably. By way of price, and peace of mind in my surroundings. I grew up in a couple of terrible areas in NYC and unfortunately had to live like that for some of the real poor years in LA. I've seen enough to not do it again. Renting allows me more financial flexibility, flexibility to live in better areas, and flexibility to move if I grow tired of a location or need to move for a job or relationship.

The idea of home ownership to some means the world, to me, I like having my money tied up in other places, and having more discretionary income and liquid assets.

I'm not completely against the idea of purchasing property, but I am amazed what people will go through to pull it off, and where people of decent means will choose to live. Like driving from Palmdale into the valley is just insane to me, but we all have our different comfort levels. To each his own how you spend your money, as long as its not coming from the government.
Don't know how old you are but many when young feel this way and as they get older they change. They want a home for family and relaxation as they are not party animals, as it were, anymore.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,055,851 times
Quote:
Yea, that's quite possible since prices have gone up pretty much everywhere in Los Angeles and saying whether or not a neighborhood has improved is difficult since improvement can encompass a lot of factors and people weigh those differently. Also, people get old and used to things a certain way, so there's always going to be some contingent of people who take change even when it's not necessarily good or bad, to be not to their liking.

Those homeless encampments are pretty intense. Does Inglewood seem heavy hit with them?
Nope. Maybe a few here and there walking around or pushing a car but it's nothing like Los Angeles, Compton, or Santa Monica. You don't see tents setup or transit stops taken over as bedrooms. There is one spot I've seen on the Century Bl to Northbound 405 ramp. There was a little camp of a few tents in the greenspace created by the on-ramp, but don't know if they're still there. I think at least some of the homeless that would be in Inglewood were living in that almost abandoned neighborhood that LAWA owns and is redeveloping now. Not sure where there are spreading to now that they've all been kicked out of the neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:04 PM

309 posts, read 193,858 times
A map of South LA / Inglewood development:
https://la.curbed.com/maps/south-los...evelopment-map

Old 06-26-2018, 01:53 PM

24,673 posts, read 25,388,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
A map of South LA / Inglewood development:
https://la.curbed.com/maps/south-los...evelopment-map
It's interesting, though I'm not sure if I'd count all of those as being in South LA.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:18 AM

924 posts, read 601,656 times
just saying that Wiseburn seems to be a hot place lately - I know we could get top price for our home because people want into this area due to the best schools. I came across a note from a realtor in Los Angeles asking me if we would consider selling our home. They have buyers wanting to get into the area. We are freeway close to the 405 and they just built a state of the art high school called Wiseburn High...(Charter)

We have a 4 bedroom home with 2 baths - den and large living room. 1857 sq feet. Newly remodeled kitchen Realtors are always hitting us up .

Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 AM

247 posts, read 122,711 times
Inglewood has a lot going for it except one thing - it's directly in the approach path of all 4 runways at LAX !

Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,477,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
just saying that Wiseburn seems to be a hot place lately - I know we could get top price for our home because people want into this area due to the best schools. I came across a note from a realtor in Los Angeles asking me if we would consider selling our home. They have buyers wanting to get into the area. We are freeway close to the 405 and they just built a state of the art high school called Wiseburn High...(Charter)

We have a 4 bedroom home with 2 baths - den and large living room. 1857 sq feet. Newly remodeled kitchen Realtors are always hitting us up .
Yeah inventory is so low right now and demand so high , pretty much everywhere in the L.A area seems hot . Even areas that don’t have great schools .

Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 AM

2,060 posts, read 1,055,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Inglewood has a lot going for it except one thing - it's directly in the approach path of all 4 runways at LAX !
The better parts of Inglewood aren't in the direct flight path at all. The planes are pretty silent unless you are near Century (new residents aren't moving to this side) and at least make for something interesting to look up at every once in a while. It's cool plane spotting and guessing carriers while chilling on top of a rooftop deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or