U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,445,196 times

Advertisements

Looks like the city might be waking up and realizing that skid row is holding downtown la back from being recognized as a world class downtown ? I wouldn’t get my hopes up though .

—-
Activists on Friday lashed out against a city proposal to develop skid row, saying L.A.’s “gentrification” plan threatens one of the last bastions of housing for the very poor and disregards the fate of 2,100 people living on the downtown district’s grimy sidewalks.
The skid row proposal, which could be voted on in early 2019, is part of a new central city community plan called DTLA 2040, which is aimed at supporting downtown’s growth as a major residential neighborhood and center for creative and mixed-use office space.

L.A. plan to 'gentrify' skid row will oust poor residents, advocates say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 12:01 AM

9,809 posts, read 8,274,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Looks like the city might be waking up and realizing that skid row is holding downtown la back from being recognized as a world class downtown ? I wouldn’t get my hopes up though .

—-
Activists on Friday lashed out against a city proposal to develop skid row, saying L.A.’s “gentrification” plan threatens one of the last bastions of housing for the very poor and disregards the fate of 2,100 people living on the downtown district’s grimy sidewalks.
The skid row proposal, which could be voted on in early 2019, is part of a new central city community plan called DTLA 2040, which is aimed at supporting downtown’s growth as a major residential neighborhood and center for creative and mixed-use office space.

Lol I’m sorry, had to laugh how LA thinks it will make a place desirable with just pretty architecture AND recently housed zombies/addicts. You actually have to draw in people who work, make money. Productive people need to move in. Who wants to live around addicts and mental cases?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Lol I’m sorry, had to laugh how LA thinks it will make a place desirable with just pretty architecture AND recently housed zombies/addicts. You actually have to draw in people who work, make money. Productive people need to move in. Who wants to live around addicts and mental cases?
Yeah and why would developers use their profits to develop 7,000 very low income units ?
They are running a business not a charity . Each of these units costs about 400k to build from what I’ve read.

—-

The group, called Skid Row Now and 2040, released a report calling for private developers to plow profits they will make off the rezoning into developing 7,000 very-low-income skid row units, enough to house every homeless person living in skid row’s “humanitarian crisis zone” and more.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,496,500 times
HAHA wow that's crazy. I used to live in Downtown LA, near Staples in the South Park neighborhood, and it was really nice, a lot of fun, but a few times I would drive by Skid Row and definitely a huge difference. The rather interesting thing about Los Angeles is how most of the cities within it or areas within it have extremely nice areas and extremely ghetto ones in such close proximity. That doesn't happen in most cities. Usually entire suburbs are upscale and nice, and other ones are ghetto. In the L.A. area you can be living in Long Beach a few blocks from the beach in an expensive place, but 10 blocks inland is a war zone with bars over the windows and dilapidated shacks everywhere. Downtown LA was much the same, my area was super nice but literally 3-4 blocks away became unbelievably ghetto looking with bums and garbage everywhere. Of course places like Beverly Hills are entirely nice (I see why the celebrities live there, it's not that much fun living right next to ghetto areas) but even really nice places like Santa Monica have undesirable areas or people milling about. Others on the rise like Venice have super nice houses and neighborhoods and still really lousy ones. It's kind of a strange dynamic.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 1,310 times
What are we supposed to do with them? I used to live in an SRO apartment off 5th st and San Julian. Looked like if Compton had a baby with New Delhi.

You can't complain about tent cities and high rents and support illegal immigration and open borders at the same time. And Democrat policies want to bring in even more people. When the tub is overflowing you first shut the flow of water off.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 PM

17,338 posts, read 21,537,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

—-

Which Skid Row are they talking about? The ones in Hollywood, Silverlake, Eagle Rock, etc.

"Skid Row" is no longer just a couple of blocks downtown. It's all over.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 PM

6,522 posts, read 9,503,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
HAHA wow that's crazy. I used to live in Downtown LA, near Staples in the South Park neighborhood, and it was really nice, a lot of fun, but a few times I would drive by Skid Row and definitely a huge difference. The rather interesting thing about Los Angeles is how most of the cities within it or areas within it have extremely nice areas and extremely ghetto ones in such close proximity. That doesn't happen in most cities. Usually entire suburbs are upscale and nice, and other ones are ghetto. In the L.A. area you can be living in Long Beach a few blocks from the beach in an expensive place, but 10 blocks inland is a war zone with bars over the windows and dilapidated shacks everywhere. Downtown LA was much the same, my area was super nice but literally 3-4 blocks away became unbelievably ghetto looking with bums and garbage everywhere. Of course places like Beverly Hills are entirely nice (I see why the celebrities live there, it's not that much fun living right next to ghetto areas) but even really nice places like Santa Monica have undesirable areas or people milling about. Others on the rise like Venice have super nice houses and neighborhoods and still really lousy ones. It's kind of a strange dynamic.

I think you'll find more cities than you realize are block to block. Sometimes just crossing a street starts the downward trend of a neighborhood. LA is not the only city like this.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Which Skid Row are they talking about? The ones in Hollywood, Silverlake, Eagle Rock, etc.

"Skid Row" is no longer just a couple of blocks downtown. It's all over.
Yes , I’ve heard some call them Garcettivilles .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles