U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM

12,668 posts, read 11,425,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
Good information! I hadn't thought about no city income tax, that will definitely help offset the higher state taxes! I'm guessing gas will even out some as well. I am currently living on east side of Cleveland and working on the West side, so I'm thinking the 50+ miles per day I do now should go down significantly.
You will probably travel less than 50+ miles per day but I bet you will be in the car a lot longer and much more stressful commutes. Live where you work to combat that and have that be the end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 PM

625 posts, read 429,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well if you haven't been here to visit, it's pretty foolish to move.

I have lived in Southern CA now most of my life, but I have run across many people from back east who come to CA to visit and frankly don't like it, and that is certainly their right.

In fact I have lost track of people who move out here, and either can't make it or realize they made a mistake, than they "whine" about CA.

Several posts on CD about this as well, most of the time it is people who didn't visit first and get a feel for Southern CA, and by visit I mean not doing "touristy" stuff, I mean looking at areas to live if there is a possibility of a job, sitting on a freeway in traffic at rush hour, etc.

You seem to be clueless on traffic issues. The 210 freeway which is main freeway that runs through the Pasadena area is mostly bumper to bumper throughout the day. A lot of trucks. I live right on the LA/ Pasadena border and I avoid whenever possible. It's quicker to take side streets, and that's just to get around Pasadena, never mind leaving the area.

So it was funny to see you asking if you could drive down to Manhattan Beach from Pasadena during the week in a hour or so, yes, after 10pm.

Doesn't really sound like you have really thought this out, which is something like someone in their 20s would do, older people would put more thought into it.

Surely you can play volleyball in Ohio for a few months.
I usually don't agree with Sean Dublin to much but he is right on this one.

I know for sure fact that is a adult volleyball scene at Victory park on the weekends and afternoons. I would see them when went to take my kids to play and it looked like a lot of fun.

Honestly you guys are kinda stuck right now because the job is in Pasadena but your pleasure is at the beach will be at least a 90 minute drive in the afternoon from Pasadena at the very least.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM

883 posts, read 974,026 times
Not quite the same but I did an Azusa to Huntington Beach commute for quite a long time. I dealt with it because hey...beach! I worked overnights so my drive in was okay at 45 minutes and moving but the drive home could be double depending on when I left in the AM. I don't think Pasadena - Manhattan or Hermosa beach is a great idea during the week...unless you've got weekdays off. Actually before I moved to Huntington Beach I lived in the north part of Orange County and rarely went to the beach...the traffic just wasn't worth it. I would instead live in Pasadena and find stuff to do there, it's a nice area and there seemed to be lots of activities.

I see how this would benefit your bf but what benefits do you get? Based on your posts it sounds like "I guess I'll go with him because it's a great move for him, but I'd rather stay here." If that's the case, life in socal, while not bad at all, might put some stress on the relationship. I feel like you both need to really want to move to where you're moving and there should be benefits for both of you.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You're looking at 1 hour 15 minutes into Manhattan/Hermosa +15 minutes based on how deep in Pasadena you are.

After work? I think it's longer than that.

Fifteen years ago, I drove from Santa Monica to South Pasadena. (Never again!) I left at 6 p.m. It took me 1 hour 40 minutes to get there.

There were no accidents on the road that I could see. A normal commute. And that was 15 years ago. Traffic has worsened since then. And Pasadena to Manhattan/Hermosa is longer than Santa Monica to South Pasadena.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 AM

23 posts, read 47,851 times
Default Drive times can be even worse...

[quote=thelopez2;52235278]You're looking at 1 hour 15 minutes into Manhattan/Hermosa +15 minutes based on how deep in Pasadena you are.

This time from thelopez2 is a best-case time too. It can be much worse than that. Google Maps will give you typical commute times between points. Go to directions between Pasadena->Hermosa, then change from "depart now" to say 5-6 pm on a weekday. This route is up to 2 hours 20 minutes, which is more aligned with my experience of LA traffic.

So, a weeknight rush hour beach drive from Pasadena is definitely not something you will want to do regularly...

Old 06-25-2018, 12:31 PM
CLF CLF started this thread

22 posts, read 45,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well if you haven't been here to visit, it's pretty foolish to move.

I have lived in Southern CA now most of my life, but I have run across many people from back east who come to CA to visit and frankly don't like it, and that is certainly their right.

In fact I have lost track of people who move out here, and either can't make it or realize they made a mistake, than they "whine" about CA.

Several posts on CD about this as well, most of the time it is people who didn't visit first and get a feel for Southern CA, and by visit I mean not doing "touristy" stuff, I mean looking at areas to live if there is a possibility of a job, sitting on a freeway in traffic at rush hour, etc.

You seem to be clueless on traffic issues. The 210 freeway which is main freeway that runs through the Pasadena area is mostly bumper to bumper throughout the day. A lot of trucks. I live right on the LA/ Pasadena border and I avoid whenever possible. It's quicker to take side streets, and that's just to get around Pasadena, never mind leaving the area.

So it was funny to see you asking if you could drive down to Manhattan Beach from Pasadena during the week in a hour or so, yes, after 10pm.

Doesn't really sound like you have really thought this out, which is something like someone in their 20s would do, older people would put more thought into it.

Surely you can play volleyball in Ohio for a few months.
Of course we will be visiting before moving. Company will be allowing BF to work remotely for the first few months, so we wouldn't be looking to move until late fall. At this point they will be having him come out for a week or so in August and I will be going along to scope out the area.

And, no, I am not clueless about traffic issues. I was well aware before asking that Manhattan Beach to Pasadena would almost certainly not be possible after work during the week. BF is a bit more optimistic about it. I asked the question to confirm my suspicion and get an idea of exactly how long it would take with traffic figured in.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM

4,452 posts, read 5,587,948 times
Quote:
Of course we will be visiting before moving. Company will be allowing BF to work remotely for the first few months, so we wouldn't be looking to move until late fall. At this point they will be having him come out for a week or so in August and I will be going along to scope out the area.

And, no, I am not clueless about traffic issues. I was well aware before asking that Manhattan Beach to Pasadena would almost certainly not be possible after work during the week. BF is a bit more optimistic about it. I asked the question to confirm my suspicion and get an idea of exactly how long it would take with traffic figured in.
What are the work Hours of your BF? I knew someone that worked in Downtown LA and played beach volleyball midweek part of the year. They used the carpool lane on the 110 freeway to save time.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM

17,383 posts, read 21,600,200 times
Quote:

If you knew you wouldn't have asked. You have never even visited, so how would you know? It's OK not to know, that's why there are forums like CD.

I was on the 210 today in Pasadena, at 12pm. It was as it always is for the most part gridlocked. I was only on it through Pasadena and took about 15 minutes to go a few exits, just trying to get you to understand what you're in for.

If it is bumper to bumper on a Tuesday at 12pm in both directions, how is it going to be at rush hour? This wasn't a fluke, it always like this for the most part with lots of trucks, which is why I normally stay off it when I can.

If you're coming in August I would do some trial runs on the freeways so you get an idea. You can also find places to play volleyball in the Pasadena area, the trick to living here happy is to not make things more difficult with long commutes and planning out long distance trips to avoid traffic when possible.

Just so you know Aug/Sept can be brutally hot especially in Pasadena, other months pretty comfortable. So don't base the heat of August on year round weather.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM
DKM

3,853 posts, read 1,375,980 times
Quote:

Well as long as he can live without playing beach volleyball after work(!), sounds like this will be a good move for him. Most local parks have a volleyball net and I assume ways to arrange a team. As for you, I'd advise you to adjust your expectations of how much home you can expect for the money. If you have to have a yard for a dog, a townhouse rental is unlikely to include a yard so keep that in mind. If you don't mind living on the northside of the 210 (assuming you don't plan to use the local schools) you will find a lot of nice old homes with yards. You'll find plenty of 2 and 3 bedroom little homes out there around and under $3k. But these are pretty old homes.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
CLF CLF started this thread

22 posts, read 45,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Well as long as he can live without playing beach volleyball after work(!), sounds like this will be a good move for him. Most local parks have a volleyball net and I assume ways to arrange a team. As for you, I'd advise you to adjust your expectations of how much home you can expect for the money. If you have to have a yard for a dog, a townhouse rental is unlikely to include a yard so keep that in mind. If you don't mind living on the northside of the 210 (assuming you don't plan to use the local schools) you will find a lot of nice old homes with yards. You'll find plenty of 2 and 3 bedroom little homes out there around and under $3k. But these are pretty old homes.
I think he will survive! Our current place was built in 1920 and I actually prefer older homes (much more character). Would like at least some moderate updates (and definitely central air), but would be fine with one bathroom.

Schools don't matter for us, but I have heard people say that you don't want to live west of Lake. Any insight on why that is? Also, thoughts on how to find rentals? Do most landlords post online (craigslist, zillow, realtor.com) or will there be places with a sign in the yard only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or