U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2018, 11:43 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,902 posts, read 10,598,812 times
Reputation: 10956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
It's been very humid in Santa Monica these past few weeks.
How far are you from Ocean Ave.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 AM
 
1,362 posts, read 1,110,818 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
How far are you from Ocean Ave.?

I am on Ocean Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM
 
681 posts, read 545,135 times
Reputation: 783
People in So Cal don’t understand humidity. Just returned from 2 weeks in Indiana. Now that’s humid!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 03:46 PM
 
2,700 posts, read 5,020,004 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
People in So Cal don’t understand humidity. Just returned from 2 weeks in Indiana. Now that’s humid!!!
Indiana is not even close to "humid!!!" Maybe just a little humid. For example at the time of this posting, Santa Monica has a dew point of only 57 and Indianapolis has a dew point of 63. Examples of too humid are places like Hong Kong or Cartagena,Colombia.

Hong Kong dew point 77

Cartagena dew point 79

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/indianapolis

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/hong-kong/hong-kong

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/colombia/cartagena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2018, 04:16 PM
 
2,430 posts, read 858,922 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Indiana is not even close to "humid!!!" Maybe just a little humid. For example at the time of this posting, Santa Monica has a dew point of only 57 and Indianapolis has a dew point of 63. Examples of too humid are places like Hong Kong or Cartagena,Colombia.

Hong Kong dew point 77

Cartagena dew point 79

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/indianapolis

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/hong-kong/hong-kong

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/colombia/cartagena
Average summer dew points (I'm generalizing by region, most humid to least humid):

Most humid
Tier I: All of Florida and the entire Gulf Coast--76-78
Tier II: Upper South and lower Midwest, up to St. Louis and Washington, D.C.: 72
Tier III: Midwest and Northeast: 64-68
Tier IV: Low Deserts: 60-64
Tier V: Coastal SoCal: 55-60
Tier V: Central Valley, High Deserts, and Mountain West (i.e. Denver, Boise): >50

Again, these are averages. Here in Rancho Santa Margarita there has been freak monsoonal conditions that bring the temps to 96 degrees with a 72 degree dewpoint (comparable to an average day in Dallas!) Very rare, but has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM
 
681 posts, read 545,135 times
Reputation: 783
All I know is that Indiana humidity is terrible on my work visits. Felt so great to get back to So Cal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,363 posts, read 874,218 times
Reputation: 1136
People from SoCal definitely do not understand humidity. Go down to Jupiter, FL or even NYC in the summer....then talk to me.

It's been pleasantly warm (to be fair, I'm near the beach) but definitely not insufferable. I've had to run errands more inland and again, it's hot, but not humid and unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM
 
681 posts, read 545,135 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
People from SoCal definitely do not understand humidity. Go down to Jupiter, FL or even NYC in the summer....then talk to me.

It's been pleasantly warm (to be fair, I'm near the beach) but definitely not insufferable. I've had to run errands more inland and again, it's hot, but not humid and unbearable.
Seems like most who complain about heat in So Cal haven’t traveled much. I live in the western part of the IE and yes we get hot during the day often into the 90s, but most evenings cool off nicely. Nothing when compared to places like NYC and Chicago. I visited NYC in August one year and vowed never to return during summer. Fall is beautiful tho!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 01:19 PM
 
7,871 posts, read 4,904,371 times
Reputation: 20738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I visited NYC in August one year and vowed never to return during summer. Fall is beautiful tho!!
Wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone brag about having a "four seasons" climate and not wanting to live anywhere else. Then they say, "Well, I admit that winter is pretty long and brutal. Summer is hot and humid and buggy, and spring is nothing to write home about. But fall is beautiful!"

Sorry, no deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 PM
 
1,781 posts, read 4,108,272 times
Reputation: 1520
That's one of the reasons why many people move to the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Weather in So Cal is not that bad when compared to east coast and Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top