U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM

10,930 posts, read 10,622,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
People from SoCal definitely do not understand humidity. Go down to Jupiter, FL or even NYC in the summer....then talk to me.

It's been pleasantly warm (to be fair, I'm near the beach) but definitely not insufferable. I've had to run errands more inland and again, it's hot, but not humid and unbearable.
Yeah and we don't understand Winters either because we've never lived in Minnesota, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:09 PM

10,930 posts, read 10,622,727 times
Chicago? Florida? You people have had it easy. When I was first officer on a frigate in the Queen Anne Wars in the West Indies, we had horrendous heat and humidity, not to mention Frenchmen, Spaniards, and pirates shooting cannonballs and crap at us every day. So don't tell me about the humidity, matey. Argh...

Old 06-26-2018, 02:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,114,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Seems like most who complain about heat in So Cal haven’t traveled much. I live in the western part of the IE and yes we get hot during the day often into the 90s, but most evenings cool off nicely. Nothing when compared to places like NYC and Chicago. I visited NYC in August one year and vowed never to return during summer. Fall is beautiful tho!!

Oh, I understand humidity just fine. I'm a native New Yorker. I lived in NYC in the 1980s, and rode the subway to work every day. In the summer, many subway cars had no air conditioning. I'd arrive to work as though I'd been in a sauna.

And yes, Santa Monica summers are way more humid than they were five or ten years ago. They do seem to be reaching NYC proportions. Not there yet. But getting there.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 PM

302 posts, read 417,299 times
The reality about that nearly perfect LA weather however is that it costs a lot of money. I'm rambling on in this post to try to convert the value of the year-round LA weather into a price tag, after a brief comment about the overall Chicago weather for a comparison point.

For Chicago in summer, some people say it's absolutely brutally hot here, and other people say it's nearly perfect in summer. Just like California is cooler by the ocean, Chicago is cooler by the lake. The Chicago lakefront only averages around 10 90 degree days/yr, whereas inland it's more like 20. There's been days here when it's been 74 by the lake and 94 at O'Hare. Other days it's 74 everywhere and other days 94 everywhere, which means the beaches/"beaches" are packed.

All in all throughout the course of the year, it averages about 4 months of great weather (aka mid 70s-mid 80s), 4 months of not necessarily great but livable/tolerable weather (aka 40s/50s) and 3 or 4 months of awful weather (aka winter -- however if you like snow for Christmas/holidays then a month of awful weather gets a holiday disclaimer). Chicago also has frequent cheap flights to NY (which are super quick), Miami, Colorado, LA, Vegas/etc, so frequent winter escapes are possible and realistic (and for me/my sanity necessary). Currently additionally eyeballing spending $260 to go to Montreal in Aug for Montreal pride.

If I were to move to LA, and have a similar lifestyle there as I do here (I live a 5 min walk from Boystown/Wrigley Field and am consequently close to the lake so I get there a lot in the summer), then to be safe I'm guestimating that I would have to budget that my rent would most likely go up at least $1000/month and I would have to buy a car, adding approx $1000/month (payment + insurance + maintenance + gas + parking + taxes/fees + 1 s##t happens traffic ticket/yr). This would be an extra $24000 after tax income in costs, and this doesn't include extra commuting time (an extra hour per workday -- set that price at $30/hr, for a ballpark price of $500/month when accounting for vacation days).

Alternatively, I could continue to do what I do now, which is take a week of vacation in winter, and let's say I splurge on the vacation and spend $2000 (don't crash on friends' couches, rent a sports car, buy rounds of shots at the Abbey, etc), and still come out way financially overall as compared to living there.

I currently work full time and make in the low $50s, live in a studio with $875 rent, no car, $105 month for CTA pass, and am in grad school half time, with about a year left. So, I'm going to be hoping to significantly boost my income when I finish. As much as I love LA, I realistically don't think I would want to move there unless I had a guaranteed income of over 6 figures. Now let's go to pipe dream land and if I made over $150K then no probz I could totally afford LA's great weather all the time, cute little place in WeHO with relatively equal access to the beaches as well as Silverlake/DTLA, and still be able to afford to go to NY, Miami, the Midwest to visit family, etc.

Long of the short of the story, I'm guestimating about a $30000 annual price tag for LA's year-round great weather (plus culture/etc). Do these economics and numbers seem reasonable/realistic? Or am I way off on my math?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,598,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah but he sure knows his stuff. San Bernardino is only 8 degrees warmer than Santa Monica during the summer!

FYI Santa Monica average high in August is 70 and San Bernardino is 96. So he was close!
70 in August is awesome. That's close to San Francisco weather, minus the wind and fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles