U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 AM

95 posts, read 60,777 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking for some opinions on living downtown. My workplace will be in Hollywood near Sunset and Vine. I'd be renting at first but have already started pricing downtown lofts. I like the energy of the area and being able to walk to places in Little Tokyo and Grand Central Market. I'm not into the nightlife so the majority of my exploring would be during the day. Is safety still a concern?

Silver Lake, EP, Hollywood, and West Hollywood would make for a much easier commute, but it seems like my $ would go further downtown. I love the loft style apartments with the twenty foot ceilings, industrial features, and open floor plans. They don't seem to exist in the aforementioned neighborhoods.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 08:22 AM

309 posts, read 194,075 times
Downtown LA is cool. You should keep in mind, that your morning commute to Sunset and Vine will be terrible. LA is the only city that I know about that traffic leaves downtown in the morning; similarly you'll run into issues going east, back into downtown, during rush hour in the afternoon.

Regarding safety, if you mind to your business you should be fine. There are lots of homeless/crazy people downtown, but if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone, too.

Silver Lake, EP and West Hollywood are all probably similar pricing as downtown. Hollywood is probably the least desirable and I would guess (no research to back me up) that it would be the most affordable place to live out of all the places you are looking it.

Lastly, we were looking at buying one of those exact lofts you are describing. Be sure you research the HOA fees before you get your heart set on them. We found in addition to principal, interest, taxes and interest, it's not uncommon for those downtown lofts to have $500 - $800 extra/month in HOA fees.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM

681 posts, read 546,412 times
I would take the Metro to Sunset and Vine from downtown. No reason to drive and the Metro is much faster.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Downtown LA is cool. You should keep in mind, that your morning commute to Sunset and Vine will be terrible. LA is the only city that I know about that traffic leaves downtown in the morning; similarly you'll run into issues going east, back into downtown, during rush hour in the afternoon.

Regarding safety, if you mind to your business you should be fine. There are lots of homeless/crazy people downtown, but if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone, too.

Silver Lake, EP and West Hollywood are all probably similar pricing as downtown. Hollywood is probably the least desirable and I would guess (no research to back me up) that it would be the most affordable place to live out of all the places you are looking it.

Lastly, we were looking at buying one of those exact lofts you are describing. Be sure you research the HOA fees before you get your heart set on them. We found in addition to principal, interest, taxes and interest, it's not uncommon for those downtown lofts to have $500 - $800 extra/month in HOA fees.
Very true. Zillow lists the HOA fees which is helpful. I suppose the attraction to DT is being able to possibly purchase a cool loft where that isn't going to be an option in Silver Lake or EP.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:13 PM

309 posts, read 194,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Very true. Zillow lists the HOA fees which is helpful. I suppose the attraction to DT is being able to possibly purchase a cool loft where that isn't going to be an option in Silver Lake or EP.
This is true. EP and Silver Lake have awesome bungalows though. Not sure what your price point is, but we looked at those too.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,018,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I'm just looking for some opinions on living downtown. My workplace will be in Hollywood near Sunset and Vine. I'd be renting at first but have already started pricing downtown lofts. I like the energy of the area and being able to walk to places in Little Tokyo and Grand Central Market. I'm not into the nightlife so the majority of my exploring would be during the day. Is safety still a concern?

Silver Lake, EP, Hollywood, and West Hollywood would make for a much easier commute, but it seems like my $ would go further downtown. I love the loft style apartments with the twenty foot ceilings, industrial features, and open floor plans. They don't seem to exist in the aforementioned neighborhoods.

Thanks for your time!
Safety is not much of a concern.

You should live near the Red Line Station at 1st/Hill or Pershing Square or Fig/7th.

You will not have any commute issues. The Red Line runs every 3-7 minutes during rush hour and is about a 20 minute ride to Hollywood/Vine. Its a long 2 block walk to Sunset/Vine.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

You should live near the Red Line Station at 1st/Hill or Pershing Square or Fig/7th.

You will not have any commute issues. The Red Line runs every 3-7 minutes during rush hour and is about a 20 minute ride to Hollywood/Vine. Its a long 2 block walk to Sunset/Vine.
Good call. Something like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...56_rect/15_zm/

Old 06-26-2018, 12:04 AM

16 posts, read 10,777 times
Los Angeles is the best US's second-largest city, and its extensive neighborhoods have something for everyone.
These are the best neighborhoods to live in in LA, according to someone who lived nearby for 12 years.
Manhattan Beach, Glendale, Downtown LA, Silver Lake, and Monrovia top the list for different reasons.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM

353 posts, read 552,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

^^This. And if the walk from Hollywood Blvd to Sunset is too long, load a transfer onto the TAP card and take the 210 bus.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM

135 posts, read 59,143 times
Hollywood & Vine has a metro train stop. No need to drive from DTLA to Hollywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or