Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:23 PM

113 posts, read 257,344 times

Advertisements

I have a budget of around $400k to $580k to buy a house in an area that's:
  • Close enough to the ocean that is 10-20 degrees cooler than inland empire. For example, San Pedro, Harbor City, Long Beach, Carson, Wilmington, etc.
  • Is already being "gentrified" and will continue this trend. For example, nice shops being build, Trader Joe's moving in, new condo or housing being build for higher class of people.
  • Has declining crime rate.
  • Or has some kind of new big change coming, like a new park or big new employer coming in.

Minimum 2 bedroom 1 bath with backyard.

I'm especially interested in finding somewhere in San Pedro, Harbor City, Long Beach, Carson, Wilmington, Garden Grove, Westminister, etc. My dream is Huntington Beach or Torrance but I'm realistic to know that's out of my range.

Ideally the neighborhood should already be safe enough that I can take a walk around the block safely. Nice schools is a plus but not absolute requirement (I dont have kids atm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
How about San Pedro, Harbor City, Long Beach, Carson, Wilmington, Garden Grove, Westminister, etc.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How about San Pedro, Harbor City, Long Beach, Carson, Wilmington, Garden Grove, Westminister, etc.
Sorry I should clarify. I'm looking for tips for specific areas in those cities.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
realtor.com

Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 6,180 times
More than looking at data for areas of gentrification, your best bet would really be to go into those cities, pick out a few places of interest and really go check it out yourself. Spend a day at places such as a library, coffee shop or park to really get a feel for the city.

I am a Realtor in Los Angeles and I get similar questions quite frequently since LA home prices have gotten so high. I always advise my clients that no matter what data I throw at them, if they don't like the initial feel of the city, I wont be able to change their minds with data.

Out of all the cities you mentioned, I do like San Pedro the best. Doing a quick search of the area, I did see some listings of homes in your budget, but they are super tiny. If space isn't a factor to you, go visit San Pedro and see how you feel.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
Based on your budget and the areas you've listed, my top choice would be the northeast part of Long Beach close to Lakewood. While a little more inland with a more suburban feel, it's still only 5-6 miles from the ocean and is safe compared to other parts of Long Beach and most of the other areas you've listed. While it's not an up and coming area with a hip factor, it's close to a nice shopping center (Long Beach Towne Center) with a lot of parks, and close access to the 405 and 605. Plus, there's a Trader Joe's by the 405.

San Pedro would be a #2 pick and is right by the water, but it still has a considerable amount of crime in certain pockets and is still fairly run down and a bit of the beaten path in terms of proximity to major job centers and other areas of interest.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianYun View Post
Out of all the cities you mentioned, I do like San Pedro the best. Doing a quick search of the area, I did see some listings of homes in your budget, but they are super tiny. If space isn't a factor to you, go visit San Pedro and see how you feel.
Indeed San Pedro looks like an exciting city with the new LA Waterfront and AltaSea campus. I have high hopes for that area.

But detractors say that
  • These plans get talked about every few years but never actually go anywhere
  • The rent control at San Pedro will prevent any serious investment there because you can't dislodge the people who already live there.
  • The schools there are so bad that will always be a drag and prevent higher income families from moving in.

What do you think of these pros and cons?

I definitely cannot afford West San Pedro (the parts bordering Rancho and Rolling Hills).

I can afford south east San Pedro (parts closer to the port). But those areas look pretty rundown and have reputation for high crime. (If that's changing I'd love to know).

I saw some ok houses closer to northwest San Pedro -- between Capital (N) and First (S), and Western (W) and Gaffey (E). Those neighborhoods look slightly nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianYun View Post
I did see some listings of homes in your budget, but they are super tiny.
That's not a problem. As long as they are houses with a backyard and/or garage I can convert into additional living space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
my top choice would be the northeast part of Long Beach close to Lakewood
Thank you! I haven't considered or know much about this are. This is very good idea. Do you only mean Long Beach, or also Lakewood itself and parts of Cerritos?

If you had to give a general boundary what would it be? Is it something like East of Cherry and North of Carson?

I don't know much about the area, except that Bixey Knolls is very nice (but too expensive for me), and north of Del Amo near west side is not that good.

Quote:
with a lot of parks.
I love parks. If I can walk to a nice and safe park I would be thrilled. What are some of the nicest parks in that area?

Quote:
While it's not an up and coming area with a hip factor
Are you saying that it's up and coming, but not hip? Or are you saying it's not up and coming and it's not hip?

I'm totally ok with the "not hip" places. I'm pretty boring myself. What indications do you have that the area is up and coming?

Thank you so much!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
Lakewood and Cerritos are also fine, if not better, especially Cerritos, which is a generally safer area with good public schools, but also probably out of your price range.

El Dorado Park (right near 405 and 605 junction) has a tennis center, golf course, and baseball fields and is a nice place to have a picnic.

With regards to San Pedro, it's not up and coming. As noted, they talk about development and major improvements but it hasn't happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles