Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Why is it that so many east coast transplants end up getting in car accidents in LA, while locals have fewer such incidents. I have three friends from NY and Philly who moved out here a few years ago and within a short time all three were involved car accidents. Nothing serious thank God. However, I do agree with a previous post that pointed out LA drivers tend to be more aggressive, as if they're always running late for an appointment. That said, east coast drivers, drive annoyingly slow, even on LA freeways.
Why? Because they tailgate. It's a big thing in the northeast.

I will take LA drivers any day over those from Boston, NY or NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
2014 was my first time visiting Los Angeles, been in love with it ever since. Fast forward to March 2018 I'm now a resident. First off what they say is true traffic is a nightmare and living cost is very expense (housing). I live in East Hollywood near Santa Monica and Western its an upcoming area not too bad for my first place in LA. There is a ton or things to do here if you feel like sitting in traffic..lol Coming from the east coast most people here cant drive at all. My company car was hit and my personal car was hit none of the accidents were my fault just people not paying attention.

Food is great depending on what you are in the mood for everything is TACOS and BURRITOS, I like seafood
I'm 30 I would like to buy a house one day but geesh I would have to be a millionaire..seriously
Weather is great like 90% of the time, but that marine layer comes over the city often but eventually clears
Some people are nice but most come off kinda rude IMO, but I don't let it get to me
I love hiking at Griffith Park and Runyon after work and the weekends really nice views

I'm still learning my way around and learning Los Angeles but overall it has been an interesting experience thus far.
keep posting as time goes by. It is always interesting to see how others view an area when they are experience living there for the first time. You seem to be very objective in your overall views at this time.

As for the drivers I understand you are just giving your view which is what CD is all about. I do thing the traffic in So Calif is awful but I also think the drivers are a little better than we experienced living in the DC area where everyone was from somewhere else and all had their own idea about how to drive.

Foodwise, again it depends on what you like and where you are from. I always thought L.A. had a pretty good variety of ethnic foods but certainly no better than the coast.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Worse than some, but better than most. Lots of bad drivers here, but most are ok. And the ones that are ok are consistent. You know what to expect. Drivers have definitely gotten worse since smart phones. Probably goes for everywhere.
Again, only on City Data......

Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Nah man...I ended up driving for a living in L.A.(Uber) - Atlanta drivers are worse BY FAR.

I've lived all over and have never seen this type of total disregard for human safety in my life!! Saw a driver not long ago try to enter the far left turn-only lane...from the far right lane. She blocked 2 lanes of oncoming traffic until the light changed.

While traffic is completely absurd in L.A., the drivers themselves aren't that bad at all in my experience.

...oh except for the bikers. I hate that weaving between cars bullcrap! Always made me nervous thinking I would accidentally sideswipe one of them

Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Again, only on City Data......
https://www.complex.com/sports/2013/...-york-drivers/

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Welcome to LA. I've been here 8 years. I remember my shock with the traffic for the first 6 months. My idiosyncratic point of view is LA is too grey for the price. I thought it would be sunny and warm all the time... it's definitely not that case.
LA gets like 3,300 sunshine hours per year. That's more than almost anywhere in the country. But if you're spending your sunny days in traffic.......

Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can WALK to many restaurants(all kinds) and different venues right in your area...Anyway, start walking, you have many choices within blocks of you.
Walk? WALK? That's just crazy talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles