Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
2014 was my first time visiting Los Angeles, been in love with it ever since. Fast forward to March 2018 I'm now a resident. First off what they say is true traffic is a nightmare and living cost is very expense (housing). I live in East Hollywood near Santa Monica and Western its an upcoming area not too bad for my first place in LA. There is a ton or things to do here if you feel like sitting in traffic..lol Coming from the east coast most people here cant drive at all. My company car was hit and my personal car was hit none of the accidents were my fault just people not paying attention.

Food is great depending on what you are in the mood for everything is TACOS and BURRITOS, I like seafood
I'm 30 I would like to buy a house one day but geesh I would have to be a millionaire..seriously
Weather is great like 90% of the time, but that marine layer comes over the city often but eventually clears
Some people are nice but most come off kinda rude IMO, but I don't let it get to me
I love hiking at Griffith Park and Runyon after work and the weekends really nice views

I'm still learning my way around and learning Los Angeles but overall it has been an interesting experience thus far.
You didn't mention where your work is, but I don't understand how "traffic is a nightmare' living near SaMo and Western. You're easy walking distance to two red line subway stops (I live in San Diego and know this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You can WALK to many restaurants(all kinds) and different venues right in your area. You need to get out and explore some.

There is no reason you have to drive, you can walk up to Sunset and Vermont and there are tons of places as you're at the start of Los Feliz.

I have always found the drivers here for the most part to be pretty good, much better than the east coast. You have had two accidents in 3 months? Hmmm...

Anyway, start walking, you have many choices within blocks of you.

Welcome to LA.
yeah I know I can walk or bike in my area I'm around everything. My job requires me to drive I work in the auto industry i'm driving around most of the day. And to answer your question yes 2 accidents in 3 months NEITHER one of them my are my fault I was rear end and the other accident someone side swiped me avoiding another car. I lived on the east coast all my life drove in NYC 100s of time and many been to other major cities NO ACCIDENTS. I love the west coast but y'all cant drive. If the accidents were my fault then i can understand the "hmmm" but I was hit.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 PM

92 posts, read 164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You didn't mention where your work is, but I don't understand how "traffic is a nightmare' living near SaMo and Western. You're easy walking distance to two red line subway stops (I live in San Diego and know this).
I work in the auto industry driving around to shops most of the day. so between 8-5 i'm on the road thats why traffic is a nightmare when i'm (weekends) I walk or go out late at night

Old 07-01-2018, 10:51 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
I agree we have the best Mexican and Asian food here for sure. My sister and her husband relocated to Memphis years ago when he was with the airlines and they complained because could not find good Mexican food places to eat. :-)

We plan on leaving this area when my husband retires in 5-6 yrs. We are tired of the traffic - and yes, the rude drivers. My husband's new truck was hit from behind as he was sitting in traffic on Freeway. Car was driving too fast - not paying attention to what was going in front of him and slammed into my husband. The guys car looked like an accordion. Prior to this accident - he was driving on Aviation where it curves at 4:30 am going to work down in Redondo Beach and some guy was on his phone - did not make that curve and drove SMACK into the side of my husbands truck (passenger side). It was totaled. Yep enough is enough.

We both were born and raised here in the South Bay and it has really changed. We live in Los Angeles County Unincorporated and it's the Wild West and all about self gratification. Block after block are setting off Professional Fireworks which are illegal but these folks do not care.

I grew up in Torrance and I remember as a kid we would bbq and then our parents would get us into the station wagon and drive down to Redondo Beach to watch the spectacular fire works display. Today, parents do not want to leave their homes as they are drinking in excess and at same time setting off these professional fireworks. Block after block - one by one and it is dangerous and scary. It's like WWII around our community. Done with it. Will be happy to move away.

We do have the BEST schools here where we are now. Perfect for young families. This is not the place to live for retirees.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:58 AM

95 posts, read 83,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I agree we have the best Mexican and Asian food here for sure. My sister and her husband relocated to Memphis years ago when he was with the airlines and they complained because could not find good Mexican food places to eat. :-)

We plan on leaving this area when my husband retires in 5-6 yrs. We are tired of the traffic - and yes, the rude drivers. My husband's new truck was hit from behind as he was sitting in traffic on Freeway. Car was driving too fast - not paying attention to what was going in front of him and slammed into my husband. The guys car looked like an accordion. Prior to this accident - he was driving on Aviation where it curves at 4:30 am going to work down in Redondo Beach and some guy was on his phone - did not make that curve and drove SMACK into the side of my husbands truck (passenger side). It was totaled. Yep enough is enough.

We both were born and raised here in the South Bay and it has really changed. We live in Los Angeles County Unincorporated and it's the Wild West and all about self gratification. Block after block are setting off Professional Fireworks which are illegal but these folks do not care.

I grew up in Torrance and I remember as a kid we would bbq and then our parents would get us into the station wagon and drive down to Redondo Beach to watch the spectacular fire works display. Today, parents do not want to leave their homes as they are drinking in excess and at same time setting off these professional fireworks. Block after block - one by one and it is dangerous and scary. It's like WWII around our community. Done with it. Will be happy to move away.

We do have the BEST schools here where we are now. Perfect for young families. This is not the place to live for retirees.
I've lived in lots of places and every one had drunk people lighting off fireworks. Good luck escaping it.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:56 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,865 times
Being from the Northwest, LA drivers scare the hell out of me. I was living in North OC with my folks last winter, and I drove into LA a couple of times for work, and every time I did I thought I was going to die. The way people drive scares me, it's basically suicidal. People drive way too fast and don't pay enough attention, and have a "me first" mentality. And now that a lot of people are getting priced out of California, many people take that attitude with them when they move to other states, including mine. Oregon drivers are generally patient and courteous, but I can always tell who grew up in California, even if they have an Oregon plate, and if they're from here and drive like that I guarantee you they are under 25 (or at least have the emotional maturity of someone that age). Of course LA doesn't get actual weather very often, so they get used to the roads being dry, which is why traffic gets even worse when it rains.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post

If you think the drivers are rude here, you better stay off the east coast and please don't consider FL for retirement either....LOL..you want to talk about bad drivers....LOL.

As far as fireworks go, I spent a 4th of July in the south, it was literally a battlefield, never saw anything that extreme in CA.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Being from the Northwest, LA drivers scare the hell out of me. I was living in North OC with my folks last winter, and I drove into LA a couple of times for work, and every time I did I thought I was going to die. The way people drive scares me, it's basically suicidal. People drive way too fast and don't pay enough attention, and have a "me first" mentality. And now that a lot of people are getting priced out of California, many people take that attitude with them when they move to other states, including mine. Oregon drivers are generally patient and courteous, but I can always tell who grew up in California, even if they have an Oregon plate, and if they're from here and drive like that I guarantee you they are under 25 (or at least have the emotional maturity of someone that age). Of course LA doesn't get actual weather very often, so they get used to the roads being dry, which is why traffic gets even worse when it rains.
I lived in Portland for a couple of years, and I will say the drivers there were extremely considerate.

But I will still take LA drivers any day over other parts of the country. I think considering the amount of traffic we have people are for the most part fairly considerate.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM

192 posts, read 257,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
I also wanted to add, that it really takes awhile to adjust to a new area...Ryan Seacrest spent most of his life in Los Angeles, but now lives in New York City and after a year he is still adjusting.

The first year might be the toughest, but you will be fine as long as you have an open mind on things and try not to compare where you live now, to where you lived before...yes it is hard to do I know, but it can be done.

Good luck and please let us all know how your doing later on.
Ryan Seacrest? Oh come on you are takling about someone worth upwards of 200 MILLION dollars, the .001%. Those people are not even in the conversation. Adjustments for RS... ridiculous! Poor baby!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
I love the west coast but y'all cant drive.
Generalize much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles