Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 PM

197 posts, read 204,106 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that conservative places are significantly cheaper than liberal areas. I'm very liberal myself and an atheist so would i be out of place in coastal Orange County? I am single and in my 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 06:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
There is more competition for housing/rentals in Santa monica/venice. People willing to pay more. Lots of Silicon Beach/techie jobs in the area is one recent major contribution to higher rent esp in nearby Playa Vista.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Santa Monica/West LA: High resistance to development + extreme popularity = $$$$

There are a ton of people in the entertainment industry living in West LA which works to boost the area's hipness/desirability, maybe even subconsciously, among the younger age groups.

OC, being more politically conservative, as well as quieter, cleaner, less edgy tends to be less of a draw for younger people.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
I've noticed that conservative places are significantly cheaper than liberal areas. I'm very liberal myself and an atheist so would i be out of place in coastal Orange County? I am single and in my 20s.
Because there is less demand. It's quite simple.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Yes, all the above. Why are dumpy Santa Monica and Venice, overrun by homeless, transients, tourists and traffic more expensive than beautiful, pristine areas like Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, Palos Verdes, or Manhattan Beach?
Because in Santa Monica and Venice, you're close to the action - and the jobs.
Lately, there's a lot more to do in Santa Monica. You can get the world class dining, shopping, entertainment and other accommodations previously only seen in areas like Hollywood and Beverly Hills.
Santa Monica and Venice are the coast areas due west of Westwood, Beverly Hills, Downtown LA, West Hollywood, Mid-Wilshire, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Los Feliz (among others).

Old 06-16-2018, 05:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
I call BS. This is not a thing.

Laguna Beach: https://www.zillow.com/laguna-beach-ca/home-values/

The median home value in Laguna Beach is $2,131,100. Laguna Beach home values have gone up 1.6% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will fall -0.2% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Laguna Beach is $1,222

Newport Beach: https://www.zillow.com/newport-beach-ca/home-values/

The median home value in Newport Beach is $2,148,200. Newport Beach home values have gone up 7.8% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 3.0% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Newport Beach is $994, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro average of $425. The median price of homes currently listed in Newport Beach is $2,440,000 while the median price of homes that sold is $1,812,900. The median rent price in Newport Beach is $4,995, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro median of $3,100.

Venice: https://www.zillow.com/venice-los-an...a/home-values/

The median home value in Venice is $1,884,000. Venice home values have gone up 9.6% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 5.8% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Venice is $1,170, which is higher than the Los Angeles average of $495. The median price of homes currently listed in Venice is $1,998,000 while the median price of homes that sold is $1,953,700. The median rent price in Venice is $6,472, which is higher than the Los Angeles

Santa Monica: https://www.zillow.com/santa-monica-...-values/median of $3,500.

The median home value in Santa Monica is $1,757,800. Santa Monica home values have gone up 10.8% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 7.0% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Santa Monica is $1,085, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro average of $425. The median price of homes currently listed in Santa Monica is $1,680,000. The median rent price in Santa Monica is $5,700, which is higher than the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim Metro median of $3,100.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
^Because Santa Monica and Venice have a lot more condos and small homes. also, there are neighborhoods in venice and SM that are still less desirable (like pico, or oakwood). As you posted, the square footage overall is pricier in Venice and SM.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:22 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Strong need....very strong need.... to live near Santa Monica/Century City.

Jobs is the reason. People who live in middle class areas with good schools AND affordable AND safe (Such as SCV/Valencia) literally suck at life as they make the hour and a half drive into the Westside every morning.

Theres literally no such concentrated job center in OC...rather everything is really spread out...and the Beaches are farther from those jobs due to commute to even the freeways.

For a better comparison, check out property values in Palos Verdes, which is quite possibly the nicest area to live in LA County, vs those on the Westside. The price difference is almost entirely due to commute.

If you don't have a commute issue and want to live near the beach, you may want to check out Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shores. Rents are less than coastal OC, the politics are left leaning, and you don't have the traffic issues to deal with that the Westside does.

I will disclose bias...I can't stand the Westside, primarily due to cost and traffic. Frankly I'd prefer a bit more quiet. Hell I lived in Downtown LA for 3 years and found it peaceful(and easy to walk in and also access the freeways). The traffic on the Westside is a ridiculous joke. I've been posting this for 10 years here. Used to be some old time homeowner would chime in about how great Santa Monica is. No longer happens. I suspect they cashed in their lotto ticket called a home, but even if not, I would think the traffic and crowds got to them.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Strong need....very strong need.... to live near Santa Monica/Century City.

Jobs is the reason. People who live in middle class areas with good schools AND affordable AND safe (Such as SCV/Valencia) literally suck at life as they make the hour and a half drive into the Westside every morning.

Theres literally no such concentrated job center in OC...rather everything is really spread out...and the Beaches are farther from those jobs due to commute to even the freeways.

For a better comparison, check out property values in Palos Verdes, which is quite possibly the nicest area to live in LA County, vs those on the Westside. The price difference is almost entirely due to commute.

If you don't have a commute issue and want to live near the beach, you may want to check out Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shores. Rents are less than coastal OC, the politics are left leaning, and you don't have the traffic issues to deal with that the Westside does.

I will disclose bias...I can't stand the Westside, primarily due to cost and traffic. Frankly I'd prefer a bit more quiet. Hell I lived in Downtown LA for 3 years and found it peaceful(and easy to walk in and also access the freeways). The traffic on the Westside is a ridiculous joke. I've been posting this for 10 years here. Used to be some old time homeowner would chime in about how great Santa Monica is. No longer happens. I suspect they cashed in their lotto ticket called a home, but even if not, I would think the traffic and crowds got to them.
Um, Irvine *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^Because Santa Monica and Venice have a lot more condos and small homes. also, there are neighborhoods in venice and SM that are still less desirable (like pico, or oakwood). As you posted, the square footage overall is pricier in Venice and SM.
Did you not see the numbers I posted? Laguna Beach was on top of the heap per square foot.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM

7 posts, read 7,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Um, Irvine *cough*

Irvine is not exactly close to the beach nor are the jobs “concentrated” in one location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles