U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,171,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
With these asian groups many that have came to the US in the last 30 years have came from wealthy families in their homes countries.

I know many wealthy asians that have worked hard for what they have, but every single one of them had money back in their home country.

They went from the 1% in their homes countries to the 1% here. I don't know any wealthy asians who truly started from the bottom...

This is an excellent point. When you see a 1st/2nd generation Asian with upper middle class wealth and income, there's a pretty good chance they were upper middle class in their nation of origin. Worst case scenario is going from well-to-do in China, to lower middle class when they arrive in the U.S. and then by the time their kids are doctors/engineers, being back to upper middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 PM

11,455 posts, read 7,254,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I haven't read the report and frankly I don't give these type of reports much thought. Is there a correlation between how wealthy the countries of origin are, how long their people have been in the US and how well they do here? Japan and China are strong countries economically, so the people who come here from those countries are likely to be well-off. Also Japanese and Chinese Americans have been here a long time, compared to more recent refugees from poor, war torn countries.

I bet things like cash, gold, and assets from the motherland are not accounted for in these reports.
South Korea is a more developed country than China by far.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 PM

3,877 posts, read 2,812,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerk View Post
There are many asians who send their kids and other family members here with a large sum of wealth back in their own country and also in the US. However, the majority of Asian Americans (or their parents/grandparents) were either middle or lower class in their countries, and managed to build their fortune overseas, for example, the US and Canada
Yeah, I should've specified, what I meant was very very few wealthy asians here today came from nothing.

People seem to make the short sighted argument that when Asians come here they just automatically know how to emase wealth, and that's never really the case.

Mostly a continuation of the class system that was present in their home countries.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM

220 posts, read 119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
With these asian groups many that have came to the US in the last 30 years have came from wealthy families in their homes countries.

I know many wealthy asians that have worked hard for what they have, but every single one of them had money back in their home country.

They went from the 1% in their homes countries to the 1% here. I don't know any wealthy asians who truly started from the bottom...
I think your theory only holds true for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Indian, but most of the other Asians that come over are not that well off.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 PM

502 posts, read 211,701 times
The Japanese have historically been the wealthiest. Next the Chinese. The Korean total surprised me, as did the Filipino total.
The Vietnamese total is spot on, as they tend to struggle.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:16 PM

335 posts, read 236,487 times
I'm surprised it is so low for Koreans

Old 07-16-2018, 10:34 AM

179 posts, read 124,058 times
It is very interesting to read that Koreans, on average have so low in net worth, but I do have a hypothesis why. It makes me wonder if part of the rationale is due to large expenditures with luxury goods and lifestyle, offsetting their higher income.

Most of the Korean immigrants I know did not have much money when they came to the states, but they value education and hard work, to make a good living. The same can't be said with the next generation.

I noticed a lot of first generation Koreans working their TAILS off to create a good life for their family, while their kids enjoyed the fruits of their parents labor. Example: Their child does not need a new BMW 340i, as a gift when they get admitted to USC, especially when the parents are covering tuition/boarding, working 7 days a week at their mom & pop store, and still driving 10 year old Hyundais.

Last edited by pharmboyinSD; 07-16-2018 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 02:22 PM

18,182 posts, read 11,677,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboyinSD View Post
It is very interesting to read that Koreans, on average have so low in net worth, but I do have a hypothesis why. It makes me wonder if part of the rationale is due to large expenditures with luxury goods and lifestyle, offsetting their higher income.

Most of the Korean immigrants I know did not have much money when they came to the states, but they value education and hard work, to make a good living. The same can't be said with the next generation.

I noticed a lot of first generation Koreans working their TAILS off to create a good life for their family, while their kids enjoyed the fruits of their parents labor. Example: Their child does not need a new BMW 340i, as a gift when they get admitted to USC, especially when the parents are covering tuition/boarding, working 7 days a week at their mom & pop store, and still driving 10 year old Hyundais.
That is similar to what is happening with American kids as well. Spoiled.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

408 posts, read 542,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
The Japanese have historically been the wealthiest. Next the Chinese. The Korean total surprised me, as did the Filipino total.
The Vietnamese total is spot on, as they tend to struggle.
Why does the Filipino total surprise you? For Koreans, it makes me wonder if they really stay here or go home when they are wealthy. Also outside of certain metropolitan areas there aren't that many Koreans.

Filipinos that come here are mostly educated, working in either healthcare as a nurse or doctor or IT. I don't find it surprising that their net worth is that high. I think Americans have had this stereotype of Filipinos being home help but that's not the majority of our expats. Nursing is the country's biggest export since WWII
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or