U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,063,216 times

Advertisements

I have some questions for those of you who have lived within proximity of the beach or who frequently visit the beaches around Santa Monica and Venice. How often do you visit the beach? Is it easy to park near the beach? Is the expense of living near the beach worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM

312 posts, read 207,005 times
Friends I know who live near Venice/Santa Monica beaches don't visit the beach very often at all. It's only really when friends are in town. Reason being those beaches are very touristy and crowded, and not real beach experiences.

I live a couple blocks away from Manhattan/Hermosa beach and go pretty much every week, as in walk along the strand/occasionally beach volleyball. Getting out of your apartment in the morning and being able to see the beach is totally worth the price

Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 12,112,244 times
OP, from where you list where you're from, note that Lake Michigan and the Atlantic Ocean both warm up in the summer. The Pacific Ocean along the California coast really doesn't.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,093,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
I live a couple blocks away from Manhattan/Hermosa beach and go pretty much every week, as in walk along the strand/occasionally beach volleyball. Getting out of your apartment in the morning and being able to see the beach is totally worth the price
Same here. We almost never go into the water, but we'll take a walk on the Strand pretty often.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM

8,404 posts, read 4,608,521 times
I live a few blocks from the beach in SM. I frequent the beach ( surfing) 3 or 4 days a week.
Definitely worth the cost. Climate, amenities, walkability. If the beach is crowded I can chill by my backyard pool. Close proximity to LA, LAX and the rest of the west side. Close to SM airport ( private pilot).....

Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,395,086 times
I live in Santa Monica. Not much beach culture here. Too many tourists in Santa Monica or Venice to really enjoy yourself at the beach there. If you want to hang out at the beach all the time I’d suggest the South Bay. Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach have the nicest beaches in the area IMO.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,063,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
OP, from where you list where you're from, note that Lake Michigan and the Atlantic Ocean both warm up in the summer. The Pacific Ocean along the California coast really doesn't.
I live across the street from Lake Michigan. I am directly across from a lakefront park and one block away from a lovely community beach. It can get a little crowded during summer weekends (by suburban standards), but I imagine it is nothing like Santa Monica or Venice. I don't swim in the water very often, and I don't surf, but I enjoy taking a stroll along the lakefront, and I like the feeling of openness that Lake Michigan provides.

I would like to know whether or not proximity to the beaches are worth the added cost and sacrificed space over living somewhere like Sawtelle, Fairfax, Hancock Park, or points eastward. I think it is important to consider that it is highly unlikely that I would be able to have a place with water views anyway. In Venice, the places I'd be looking at would probably be a between 0.5-1.0 mile walk from the beach. (closer to AK than the beach)

Old 06-30-2018, 11:40 AM

9,015 posts, read 11,801,673 times
I lived near Venice Beach for a couple of years. You WALK to the beach, there's no parking. I enjoyed it.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,018,227 times
Venice and Santa Monica are two of the worst beaches in So Cal. Homeless, gross water, drug addicts, parking difficulty.

South Bay Beaches, and OC Beaches are much nicer. PV and Laguna are much more beautiful.

If you need an urban neighborhood, I like Belmont Shores way more than Venice and SM.

The reason to live by Venice and SM is you work there. Otherwise there’s way nicer and less expensive Beach communities in LA and So Cal.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,093,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I live across the street from Lake Michigan. I am directly across from a lakefront park and one block away from a lovely community beach. It can get a little crowded during summer weekends (by suburban standards), but I imagine it is nothing like Santa Monica or Venice. I don't swim in the water very often, and I don't surf, but I enjoy taking a stroll along the lakefront, and I like the feeling of openness that Lake Michigan provides.

I would like to know whether or not proximity to the beaches are worth the added cost and sacrificed space over living somewhere like Sawtelle, Fairfax, Hancock Park, or points eastward. I think it is important to consider that it is highly unlikely that I would be able to have a place with water views anyway. In Venice, the places I'd be looking at would probably be a between 0.5-1.0 mile walk from the beach. (closer to AK than the beach)
Don't forget the weather. It can be 10+ degrees cooler by the beach than further inland. We don't even need air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or