Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM

11,098 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

My family is planning a trip to the LA area, and are curious about our tentative plans. We have two children (9 and 16) and are interested in a mix of fun and scenic activities. Here's what we have so far for the three full days we'll have:

Day 2 - Universal Studios (we'll be staying nearby)
Day 3 - drive west on 101, south on 27, Toganga State Park?, Tuna Canyon Park?, drive along the coast, see the Malibu area
Day 4 - go to Santa Monica, the pier, Palisade Parks(?), probably the beach, other?

Obviously, the focus isn't on the urban areas. Are there things we should know, other than traffic? Areas along 101 (Ventura Fwy?) to avoid? Parking hassles? Any notable restaurants to go to in those areas? Completely different places to go?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2018 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:02 PM

No comments or suggestions? I always help others when they ask vacation questions for my area.

Did I say something offensive or annoying?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
No, you didn't.

The 101 runs north and south.

You can do Malibu and Santa Monica on the same day.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:48 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Good evening,

I was just in metro L.A. myself for vacation. I've been more than a half dozen times. Sounds like a good itinerary. If you find you have more time on your hands, a drive south on the Pacific Coast Highway in Orange County is great too (Huntington Beach, New Port Beach and Laguna Beach). Also, in O.C. of course Disney Land, Knotts Berry Farm are there. I would also consider taking the train if you decide San Diego is worth your time. Use Metrolink. Amtrak runs a double decker train with wifi and power outlets. It beats the 100 mile drive to SD. the San Diego Zoo can't be beat and Old Town San Diego is great for browsing.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Try tripadvisor forums. It is much more active when comes from responses about travel related in LA.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Good evening,

I was just in metro L.A. myself for vacation. I've been more than a half dozen times. Sounds like a good itinerary. If you find you have more time on your hands, a drive south on the Pacific Coast Highway in Orange County is great too (Huntington Beach, New Port Beach and Laguna Beach). Also, in O.C. of course Disney Land, Knotts Berry Farm are there. I would also consider taking the train if you decide San Diego is worth your time. Use Metrolink. Amtrak runs a double decker train with wifi and power outlets. It beats the 100 mile drive to SD. the San Diego Zoo can't be beat and Old Town San Diego is great for browsing.

This is very good advice. If the OP stays in a central location like Laguna Beach, he can make the drive up to LA, over to Disneyland, and down to San Diego without the need for a train.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 AM

^ As mentioned before, our hotel is close to Universal Studios, so not a central location. We're mostly focused on sites - especially scenic - that are north and west of L.A., and along the coast, away from the denser urban areas.

Thanks for the comments, and the tripadviser forum suggestion.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-02-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Santa Monica pier all the way up Hwy 1 PCH to Point Magu with stops along the way is a very nice day (or the other way around). That's pretty much my plan for Thursday and it never gets old. I wouldn't drive down Topanga from where you are. Its a fun drive from the beach though, as the view is spectacular at the top. For you it would be more fun to take Sunset or SM Blvd over and see some neighborhoods by car without wasting time walking around. If you're from out of state, it can be quite interesting. Near Universal you also have the option to check out some view points, like 7036 Mullholland. Other things you can do with the kids is some museum near La Brea. Getty (either of them). Griffith Observatory. All of these things are crowded in the summer though, and so plan accordingly. I suggest having the passenger navigate with live traffic on their phone.

You could make it to Santa Barbara for another day if you are up for it. 2 hours driving, maybe less if you go at the right time.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I agree about Santa Monica & Malibu/PCH on the same day.

I think Malibu/PCH is a great idea as you'll get some great scenic views & probably not to bad of traffic once you get away from Santa Monica.

Pay attention to the off roads because sometimes you can pull off the PCH and go up some mountains/hills & get some great views of the beach.

I also recommend Griffith Observatory but you might have difficulty with parking. It could be very crowded but might not be bad before 10.

Santa Monica pier will probably be very crowded but it's def something you should do if you're there.

Since you're near Universal Studios you could drive up the mountains & see some of the awesome houses. This will also allow you to get a great view down at the town. I think DKM mentioned what I'm thinking of in terms of a place to park and have a view down at the direction of Universal Studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles