U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,927 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I are moving from New York to Los Angeles and we are interested in buying a house. Unfortunately, a 300k budget does not go as far as it would in New York (could buy a decent co-op in an outer boro or a small-ish house in New Jersey/Rockland County) so we've looked at manufactured/mobile homes. The price seems right and we can get a good amount of space (1200 sqft+) in a good neighborhood (was looking at Calabasas/North LA region).

However, in New York, mobile homes have a terrible reputation of being crappy trailers where dirt-poor people live or old people go and retire. I'm assuming for 300K in LA it wouldn't be dirt-poor people. The homes I've seen are quite nice and they look like actual houses with outside space and some of them have extremely nice views which are plusses.

Do mobile homes have the same reputation out in LA? Would it be a good buy? I'm not too worried about equity as we will be able to save for an actual house, have space and still reap the tax benefits, versus renting an apartment where we'd be throwing away money. I've done research on the financial appreciation/depreciation and since there's a demand I don't think it will depreciate much if at all.

Commute-wise, I work in Sherman Oaks and my wife works downtown (near Staples Center), I think the area would be fine commuting wise as I would drive and my wife would probably drive to some train (possibly Chatsworth?) and take that. Any suggestions/comments are helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by bmatt101; 06-30-2018 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 03:37 PM

4,681 posts, read 2,950,054 times
There is a big manufactured home park in Sylmar near the 210 and Roxford. It's always been a nice looking place. Unfortunately ALL the houses burned completely in a brush fire a few years ago.
Now it's ALL built up again with brand new houses.
This would be a bad commute for your work, the main point of this post is these houses look nice in a nice gated community

Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,092,120 times
The commute from Calabasas to DTLA will kill your wife. Even taking the Metrolink train from Chatsworth to DTLA is over 2 hours one way--that's only train time, not counting driving down curvy slow hillside roads, then traffic all the way to Chatsworth, parking, etc. and transportation one she gets downtown. So figure 5-6 hours a day commuting? Not doable.

Have you ever been in a mobile home when the temperature is in the triple digits? It's a metal box. And the older ones more than 20 years old have little insulation. Next week Chatsworth will be 105. Get ready for a $250-$300 electric bills. Not to mention, extreme fire risk in that area.

The western SF Valley is by far the hottest area of the Valley, and probably in the LA Metro. Suggest looking for a midpoint like Tujunga, Glendale, etc. At least some of those areas burned last year--which actually makes them safer now.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:40 PM

176 posts, read 129,717 times
you can buy a condo in Encino for under 300k. white oak area.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,927 times
Thanks for your responses! I did look at Sylmar but the homes seem close together and I'd prefer not to be zoned in LAUSD. I used to teach in the district and I would rather not send my children there. That's a reason why I was looking at Calabasas or just over the county line in Ventura County.

We love Glendale and if we could afford it, we would move there in a heartbeat. However, the cheapest thing on the market is nearly 400k for a 1 bedroom and we aren't dropping that kind of money on a 1 bedroom at this stage.

The commute from Canoga Park Orange Line to her office is 1hr 20 door to door, and add in 20 minutes drive to the busway, I don't think that's too terrible. She used to have a 1hr 20 commute in NYC and she was fine with it.

We are also looking at Santa Clarita, it's a 1hr 10 commute from Newhall (AV) to her office door to door and the area has great schools, more diversity and more life/action which is a plus. Any thoughts on Santa Clarita?

Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 AM

2,730 posts, read 3,418,715 times
Mobile/manufactured housing has always been viewed as a depreciating asset...not sure if it still holds true for manufactured, it would depend greatly on neighborhood and "owned" land, not leased....is that what you want ? If so, why not rent ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-01-2018, 10:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 12,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt101 View Post
We are also looking at Santa Clarita, it's a 1hr 10 commute from Newhall (AV) to her office door to door and the area has great schools, more diversity and more life/action which is a plus. Any thoughts on Santa Clarita?
A much better choice. More direct route to DTLA, don't have to deal with the smaller streets. And a much, much more family-friendly atmosphere than Calabasas!

You didn't mention a need for schools in your original post. If you luck out and do find something closer in, though, say Glendale or Burbank adjacent, you can opt for school choice and go out-of-district in many cases.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,050,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Mobile/manufactured housing has always been viewed as a depreciating asset...not sure if it still holds true for manufactured, it would depend greatly on neighborhood and "owned" land, not leased....is that what you want ? If so, why not rent ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Manufactured hosing on your own land, on a permanent foundation, can appreciate, depending on the location, just like any other type of housing.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:15 AM

3,599 posts, read 3,436,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt101 View Post
Hi everyone. My wife and I are moving from New York to Los Angeles and we are interested in buying a house.

Commute-wise, I work in Sherman Oaks and my wife works downtown (near Staples Center),
Pretty interesting how you are both MOVING from NY to L.A., yet you BOTH already have existing jobs.

If you BOTH already have jobs (your wording indicates that these are current jobs and not potential), where do you live now?

New User, if you wanted to ask a question about mobile home living, just ask. No need to make up back story that isnt true or is irrelevant.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,050,694 times
Default A contrasting view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you ever been in a mobile home when the temperature is in the triple digits? It's a metal box. And the older ones more than 20 years old have little insulation. Next week Chatsworth will be 105. Get ready for a $250-$300 electric bills. Not to mention, extreme fire risk in that area.
I'm guessing it's been a long time since you looked at manufactured housing. They are NOT metal boxes. Many current models are built out of wood studs with wood siding, full sized home appliances, 2x4 to 2x6 studded exterior walls, and insulation typical of the climate they are being built and sited in, just like other homes. Manufacturers also off Energy-star rated homes. Interior walls may be made of smaller sized wood, such as 2x4 or 2x2 studs. Most current homes are built with Sheetrock walls, and may have flat ceilings with many options for roof pitch and guttering. They also offer solar as an option.

There are whole communities built out of manufactured housing that you couldn't tell were different from stick built homes.

There are also great deals on used homes and homes that were ordered, but never lived in for one reason or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or