Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times

Advertisements

I’m thinking of shipping a family member’s motorcycle from WI to CA so I can ride it for a year. Registered to him, in WI, with WI plate. The exhaust is not CA compliant.

See any issue with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
[quote=adr3naline;52454629]I’m thinking of shipping a family member’s motorcycle from WI to CA so I can ride it for a year. Registered to him, in WI, with WI plate. The exhaust is not CA compliant.

See any issue with this?[/QUOTE

Several. When you get pulled over for the exhaust issue and you produce your CA license, you're looking at a few tickets.

Even worse if you get into an accident, and you or someone else are injured, his WI insurance company will tell you too bad, why are you driving his bike out of state?

It's called insurance fraud.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
On paper, it's problematic, but in practice, you'll be fine. We've STILL got the old license plates on one of our cars a year later, because not enough time has lapsed for us to not have to pay CA sales taxes on the value of it if we paper it over. Nobody's ever given me any grief about it.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"Driving around California, you may notice a lot of out-of-state license plates on the roads. And now, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is asking residents to report if they frequently notice the same vehicle displaying an out-of-state plate. Why? Because it’s most likely another resident who has unlawfully registered their vehicle or is still registered in another state or country.

This practice costs California millions each year in revenue. While CHP and other law enforcement agencies try to reinforce the 20-day window registration requirement, enforcement is just one of their many public service duties."

https://www.dmv.org/articles/chp-cra...istrations.php

Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Several. When you get pulled over for the exhaust issue and you produce your CA license, you're looking at a few tickets.

Even worse if you get into an accident, and you or someone else are injured, his WI insurance company will tell you too bad, why are you driving his bike out of state?

It's called insurance fraud.
Considering the coverage of the driver, in this case me, would apply to any incidents....why would this be considered anything close to insurance fraud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
On paper, it's problematic, but in practice, you'll be fine. We've STILL got the old license plates on one of our cars a year later, because not enough time has lapsed for us to not have to pay CA sales taxes on the value of it if we paper it over. Nobody's ever given me any grief about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Driving around California, you may notice a lot of out-of-state license plates on the roads. And now, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is asking residents to report if they frequently notice the same vehicle displaying an out-of-state plate. Why? Because it’s most likely another resident who has unlawfully registered their vehicle or is still registered in another state or country.

This practice costs California millions each year in revenue. While CHP and other law enforcement agencies try to reinforce the 20-day window registration requirement, enforcement is just one of their many public service duties."

https://www.dmv.org/articles/chp-cra...istrations.php
Both of these posts assume the motorcycle is mine. It would be titled to someone else, in another state and I have permission to ride. Therefore the assumption I am avoiding CA registration as a CA resident does not apply. The bike is not mine to register.

Last edited by adr3naline; 07-11-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 08:17 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Both of these posts assume the motorcycle is mine. It would be titled to someone else, in another state and I have permission to ride. Therefore the assumption I am avoiding CA registration as a CA resident does not apply. The bike is not mine to register.

You're nit-picking. So, when you get pulled over, what Other things will the cop decide to just write up and see what sticks? When those are mandatory appear in court, how much of a headache will you have taking a day off from work and spending your day sitting around a court room? All because why? You're going to spend more on shipping the motorcycle than a beater commuter would cost in the first place. Insurance is based on you and where you live, so that'll be like for like, registration isn't Hugely different among the many different states...

What do you think you're going to gain by putting yourself in a risk situation? This is a serious question, though you need not reply to me. Just seems silly to invite risk without possible reward. And just because one person says they haven't had issue doesn't mean you won't. A couple weeks of a cop seeing you commute and out of state plates and they have probable cause to pull you over and find out why (been there, done that, no issues because I was a student and that's a universal exception).

Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You're nit-picking. So, when you get pulled over, what Other things will the cop decide to just write up and see what sticks? When those are mandatory appear in court, how much of a headache will you have taking a day off from work and spending your day sitting around a court room? All because why? You're going to spend more on shipping the motorcycle than a beater commuter would cost in the first place. Insurance is based on you and where you live, so that'll be like for like, registration isn't Hugely different among the many different states...

What do you think you're going to gain by putting yourself in a risk situation? This is a serious question, though you need not reply to me. Just seems silly to invite risk without possible reward. And just because one person says they haven't had issue doesn't mean you won't. A couple weeks of a cop seeing you commute and out of state plates and they have probable cause to pull you over and find out why (been there, done that, no issues because I was a student and that's a universal exception).
Nitpicking is the intent of this thread.

The “gain” is short term fun without having to puchase a motorcycle and deal with registration process.

Let’s think about this more pragmatically guys.

Last edited by adr3naline; 07-11-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
You are asking for trouble if you do that but you'd probably get away with it. But it could get ugly fast if you get pulled over.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You are asking for trouble if you do that but you'd probably get away with it. But it could get ugly fast if you get pulled over.
That’s fair.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Considering the coverage of the driver, in this case me, would apply to any incidents....why would this be considered anything close to insurance fraud?

How do explain to your insurance company a WI registration and plates when you live in CA? They're going to want you to switch it over.

I don't see how you can insure in CA a car or motorcycle registered to someone else in another state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Said the same thing earlier. I know many don't do it but you're supposed to get CA plates. If you get stopped and you have a CA license to boot they're going to question that, and it will mean tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: