Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 13,416 times

Advertisements

is there any way to move to LA without just being totally rich or lucky or something? i have a savings and i see tons of rooms in my budget on craigslist and stuff but it still seems impossible to me. it's impossible to rent a room without already staying in the city and i can't find anything to stay in other than motels. for just a 2 star motel it's like 100 bucks a night anywhere in the city and i found weekly motels and stuff but it's all like 300-400 a week and they're all roach motels and **** where people say there's bed bugs and **** like that.

so there's no way to move here at all without spending thousands of dollars as soon as you land? it seems impossible to just land here and get an average priced room as a normal person you need to have like 10,000 dollars saved up plus a nice job and college degree plus know someone there already that's just unrealistic and impossible. i can afford a room there for like 600-900 bucks a month but that's not enough i need to spend like 5000 dollars just to stay there for a few weeks while i look for a room then assuming im even lucky enough to find one i have to start paying thousands of dollars upfront for months of rent plus a deposit and then start making monthly payments that are like 1000 bucks a month.

how the **** is that even possible? no matter how much money i save up or whatever i do people just tell me i need more money. whenever i reach a goal people tell me to reach they just come back and tell me i need more money and it's impossible. how the **** does any average person move to LA? it's impossible to have tens of thousands of dollars in your 20s just readily avaliable to spend at free will in a few months to just start somewhere. i feel like there's some secret no ones telling me or something because i highly doubt that every single transplant from outside the city is either secretly rich or just happen to luckily know someone in the city to give them a free ride but that's what literally everyone there makes it sound like. is it really impossible just to get a job and rent a room here without being like chosen by god or some ****?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...re-unseen.html

Guess you didn't like my $25 per night hostel suggestion ...

Old 07-02-2018, 11:24 PM

472 posts, read 325,812 times
A better question might be what's your level of education /skills? How are you going to make headway in LA by rising above the poverty line and thriving?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Most people making less than $20 an hour either have spouse who works, live with family or with roommates. So there’s that aspect of it.

As far as temporary digs:

1.) don’t move here during the summer when it’s vacation time.
2.) stay somewhere in either SFV or SGV like motel 6 or extended stay.

I really don’t understand the obsession. If I didn’t have roots here already, I wouldn’t pick Los Angeles to move in. The traffic is absolute garbage, housing is insanely expensive, and it just plain sucks here if you don’t have money.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:43 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Just put an ad out on craigslist with what you have, and what you want, and you will be surprised how many exceptions there are to the status quo.

In a world class city nothing is as it seems, and LA is no exception.

If you want a way you gotta make a way!!

Old 07-03-2018, 01:13 AM

276 posts, read 222,075 times
Well, there's the Budget Inn motel right at the San Gabriel Blvd and 10 fwy - $60/nite, maybe even cheaper per week. Likewise, there's many "residence hotels" that offer weekly or monthly rates which can be reasonable for someone like you, coming into town, with no friends, relatives, or job lined up.

Check craigslist for rooms for rent, you'll find something reasonable quick. Inland is cheaper than the coastal areas, but the coast has the best climate, cleanest air, near the beaches, nightlife, etc.

LA has bad traffic, but you'll quickly learn what areas and routes and times of day to avoid. Use sigalert.com to see where the traffic is and avoid it.

It's a huge city with a diverse economy. Opportunities for jobs are virtually unlimited. So, its not a bad choice to come here at all. Just cut the drama, get down to business, and find the places and opportunities!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
So you've been asking the same question in different forums for six months and you still haven't figured out an answer yet??? You are truly a lost soul.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Well, there's the Budget Inn motel right at the San Gabriel Blvd and 10 fwy - $60/nite, maybe even cheaper per week. Likewise, there's many "residence hotels" that offer weekly or monthly rates which can be reasonable for someone like you, coming into town, with no friends, relatives, or job lined up.

Check craigslist for rooms for rent, you'll find something reasonable quick. Inland is cheaper than the coastal areas, but the coast has the best climate, cleanest air, near the beaches, nightlife, etc.

LA has bad traffic, but you'll quickly learn what areas and routes and times of day to avoid. Use sigalert.com to see where the traffic is and avoid it.

It's a huge city with a diverse economy. Opportunities for jobs are virtually unlimited. So, its not a bad choice to come here at all. Just cut the drama, get down to business, and find the places and opportunities!
Average 1 bd tent in LA and OC is pushing $1800. The cheapest houses in the ghetto are over $400k.

The advice you are giving without disclosing housing costs is atrocious.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul3411 View Post
for just a 2 star motel it's like 100 bucks a night anywhere in the city
Sounds cheap. We need to put a hefty tax on them to raise the effective rate up to a minimum of, say, $200/night. That will help keep out the riff-raff.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 AM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Most people making less than $20 an hour either have spouse who works, live with family or with roommates. So there’s that aspect of it.

As far as temporary digs:

1.) don’t move here during the summer when it’s vacation time.
2.) stay somewhere in either SFV or SGV like motel 6 or extended stay.

I really don’t understand the obsession. If I didn’t have roots here already, I wouldn’t pick Los Angeles to move in. The traffic is absolute garbage, housing is insanely expensive, and it just plain sucks here if you don’t have money.
But the food is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles