U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM

51,993 posts, read 47,797,756 times

Advertisements

Flying the Confederate flag is a moral problem. It represents a reprehensible, disgusting cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,301,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Flying the Confederate flag is a moral problem. It represents a reprehensible, disgusting cause.
I would assume that the vast majority of Californians agree. I fall in that category at this point.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I would assume that the vast majority of Californians agree. I fall in that category at this point.
Well, we're all on the same page. I'm not a Californian though. I did spent a part of my childhood in the West Coast region. However, I've grown up in Georgia. For me, the Confederate flag issue is much closer to home. In Georgia there was a big controversy over the state flag because it had the stars and bars in it. Ironically, they only replaced that version with a stripe version of the Confederate flag. I got sick of seeing Confederate flags a long time ago.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 PM

95 posts, read 60,818 times
So much hate out there and awful people...makes me wonder if I even want to keep at it anymore. What's the point?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,029,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True, but we also need to be careful not to take a fall down the slippery slope of enforcing Orwellian-like control over people's thoughts and behaviors. One of the downsides of living in a free society is that we must also tolerate thoughts/beliefs that we disagree with.

I don't agree with people who support the Confederate flag. I will do my best not to befriend these people, as well as to refuse supporting them financially whenever and wherever possible. Having said that, they are free to fly that flag, just as football players are free to take a knee during the anthem.

A free society is a free society. You have to take the bad with the good.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
True, but we also need to be careful not to take a fall down the slippery slope of enforcing Orwellian-like control over people's thoughts and behaviors. One of the downsides of living in a free society is that we must also tolerate thoughts/beliefs that we disagree with.

I don't agree with people who support the Confederate flag. I will do my best not to befriend these people, as well as to refuse supporting them financially whenever and wherever possible. Having said that, they are free to fly that flag, just as football players are free to take a knee during the anthem.

The U.S. locks people up at an astounding rate. Studies have shown the average American inadvertently commits three felonies a day. Drugs are illegal. Not wearing a seatbelt is illegal. Should the government's role be protecting people from themselves? Is that freedom?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 AM

15,143 posts, read 8,700,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
The U.S. locks people up at an astounding rate. Studies have shown the average American inadvertently commits three felonies a day. Drugs are illegal. Not wearing a seatbelt is illegal. Should the government's role be protecting people from themselves? Is that freedom?
Three felonies per day? You mean misdemeanors, perhaps? Seatbelts a felony?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Three felonies per day? You mean misdemeanors, perhaps? Seatbelts a felony?
STUDY: The average American inadvertently commits three felonies a day | The Crux
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...38900830760842
You Commit Three Felonies A Day - Business Insider

"The result of vague and overburdensome laws."

Not wearing a seatbelt is not a felony. It's an example of the government believing their role is to protect citizens from themselves.

"Freedom? Yeah, right."

-Zack de la Rocha

Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM

15,143 posts, read 8,700,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
STUDY: The average American inadvertently commits three felonies a day | The Crux
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...38900830760842
You Commit Three Felonies A Day - Business Insider

"The result of vague and overburdensome laws."

Not wearing a seatbelt is not a felony. It's an example of the government believing their role is to protect citizens from themselves.

"Freedom? Yeah, right."

-Zack de la Rocha
You know, I get the sentiment ... but I don’t find real basis for the claim the average American commits 3 felonies per day. Read through lists of the author's examples and, uh, no.

That said, I don’t argue with your sentiment.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

I'm not saying we should jail people for flying that Confederate flag. I'm simply stating that some people just need to understand right from wrong. They have a right to fly the Confederate flag. I also have a right to show them that they are wrong for flying that flag. I have a right to show them the evidence. If someone elects to fly a Confederate flag, the least they could do is admit that the desire to keep slavery was the major reason the South wanted secession, and that the Confederate flag represents that cause. The least they can do is stop lying to themselves and everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or