Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 AM

72,841 posts, read 62,239,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In the 1860s, my ancestors lived in Prussia. I don't feel the need to fly the Prussian flag in my backyard (or elsewhere) to honor my ancestors or the country where they lived 155 years ago.

The only flag I raise on my flag pole every day is the American flag.

Because TODAY, in 2018, I am a proud citizen of the United States of America.

Happy July 4th everyone!
I can respect that. Happy 4th of July!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 AM

9,808 posts, read 11,081,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With great freedom comes great responsibility. And this is the thing. I agree with what you are saying. This is the U.S. of A. No one is going to prison for flying the Confederate flag, the flag of traitors, the flag of those who sought to continue the institution of slavery and rip the country apart over it. Said persons have the right to fly that flag. You won't get locked up for it. However, this is not about whether a person has the freedom to fly the Confederate flag. This is about consideration for others. This is about right and wrong. This is about this question: SHOULD you fly the Confederate flag? It isn't about CAN you fly it?

Based on the historical evidence, the answer is no. There are not its, ands or buts. The answer is no. No one should fly the Confederate flag. It represents a reprehensible cause. It represents a cause where people were willing to fire on and attack their own country just so they could continue the institution of slavery. Is that really the cause anyone wants to represent? If the answer to that question is yes, then said persons are reprehensible and have a morally bankrupt way of thinking.
Some good points.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:35 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And you need to go read about the history of the Confederate cause. Or better yet, instead of getting mad at me for being "offended", why not just admit that you like the Confederate flag. I would have more respect for you(although not much at all) if you just admitted how YOU really felt instead of the accusations of "perpetually offended".

And from my perspective, I have every reason to be offended. Got a problem with it? Too bad. My ancestors were enslaved and the Confederates sought to break from the USA so they could keep people like my ancestors enslaved. The South lost, slavery was made illegal, and quite frankly, I'm glad the Confederates lost. I find it stupid that I would get accused of being offended, but those who fly the Confederate flag are basically nursing the wounds of the Confederacy getting whipped in the Civil War. War's over. Until said persons stop flying Confederate flags and get over it, no one has a right to complain about me getting offended.

You care way too much about how others live their lives, that's the problem. For the record -- and not that it matters to you -- I do not support the confederacy, nor do I find the flag very tasteful. Nevertheless, if someone wants to wave that flag around on their property, what business is it of mine, or yours for that matter?

More importantly, getting offended at people for choosing to live their lives a way you do not agree with, and harassing them for it, will not make these people change their ways. In fact, it almost always works the opposite way... antagonizing them only pushes them into corner and strengthens their beliefs. It is wholly unproductive. Speak your mind with your money and your votes.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 AM

95 posts, read 82,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

You care way too much about how others live their lives, that's the problem. For the record -- and not that it matters to you -- I do not support the confederacy, nor do I find the flag very tasteful. Nevertheless, if someone wants to wave that flag around on their property, what business is it of mine, or yours for that matter?

More importantly, getting offended at people for choosing to live their lives a way you do not agree with, and harassing them for it, will not make these people change their ways. In fact, it almost always works the opposite way... antagonizing them only pushes them into corner and strengthens their beliefs. It is wholly unproductive. Speak your mind with your money and your votes.
Flying that flag promotes hate. When freedom of speech becomes hate speech, it's a problem. I would proudly burn or rip that flag down. It's no different than flying a Nazi flag. Would you support someone's freedom to display a Nazi flag?

And you're right, these people aren't going to change their ways. But some people are easily influenced. And frankly, I just don't want to see symbols of hate proudly displayed right in front of my face.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,680,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post
The CSA was formed, and states started to secede, because of unjust taxation from the North.
And just what you taxes were those? This taxation argument is Lost Cause revisionist apologetics. And one that makes the odd argument that treason and rebelllion because economic policy isn’t going your way is more justified than treason and rebellion over the protection of slavery. But again, to just what taxes are you referring?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Flying that flag promotes hate. When freedom of speech becomes hate speech, it's a problem. I would proudly burn or rip that flag down. It's no different than flying a Nazi flag. Would you support someone's freedom to display a Nazi flag?

And you're right, these people aren't going to change their ways. But some people are easily influenced. And frankly, I just don't want to see symbols of hate proudly displayed right in front of my face.
It is not your property. Is this Yvette Felarca?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM

72,841 posts, read 62,239,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Some good points.
Thank you. The idea is to think about this issue critically, to ask themselves what they are really doing. And in some cases, this is about getting some people to just admit how they feel. This is about right and wrong, about truth, about understanding what should and shouldn't be done.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It is not your property. Is this Yvette Felarca?
I don't care. Better keep all your rebel flag paraphernalia at home, guy. Wouldn't want anything to happen to your prized collection.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I don't care. Better keep all your rebel flag paraphernalia at home, guy. Wouldn't want anything to happen to your prized collection.
You are spewing nonsense. I never said I own/want one, but for someone like you -- an extremist -- maybe I would buy one just so I can get you to go to jail.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
You are spewing nonsense. I never said I own/want one, but for someone like you -- an extremist -- maybe I would buy one just so I can get you to go to jail.
I'm sure that's the reason you'd buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles