Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:11 PM

95 posts, read 82,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Right!!! It's amazing that we have this argument that everyone knows what the real reason for the argument is, but some can't man up about it. Sad to say the least or weak I should say.
I think it's safe to say people move to Los Angeles/The West Coast to get away from people who believe flying that flag is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I think it's safe to say people move to Los Angeles/The West Coast to get away from people who believe flying that flag is okay.
Some people are actually native to this land and didn’t move here .

Old 07-05-2018, 04:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,480,050 times
People should learn to mind their own damn business. There are much more important things to worry about than whatever flag some old man wants to fly at HIS house.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:13 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
People should learn to mind their own damn business. There are much more important things to worry about than whatever flag some old man wants to fly at HIS house.
It tells me what kind of person lives there, and that is something I worry about.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,480,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It tells me what kind of person lives there, and that is something I worry about.
I've talked about Confederate heritage issues with you before. You seem to have a bizarre obsession with this issue across many different subforums. If you invested as much energy into something productive as you do into condemning people who display the flag, you could actually make some positive change.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,490,339 times
Quote:
What are you so worried about?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:43 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,560,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Please stop lumping all journalism into "the media". Actual journalists shouldn't be placed in the same all-encompassing group as Breitbart and others.
I do see and agree with that distinction. Some of the sources, such as Breitbart, tell outright lies about various issues. The issue with the quality of journalism among the traditional broadcast and print media outlets is that while they may be telling some factual information, it is often only half of the truth and not the whole truth. It all depends on the quality and biases of the source and the individual reporter though. And someone not close to the situation who takes it as gospel truth may be missing a lot of nuance that make up the part of the truth not told.

Quote:
I live in the South as well. I get to see the issue of the Confederate flag up close. I have been living in Georgia since the mid 1990s. For a time the southern cross version of the Confederate flag was part of Georgia's state flag. When I learned about the Civil War and the Confederacy over the years, it was enough to be against the Confederacy. It was enough for me to have a disdain for the Confederate flag.

I live in what you would call the "Deep South". I am about 45 minutes west of Atlanta. I've seen Confederate flags flying where I currently live. I've lived in other places, but due to some odd events, I'm back, living in the county where I went to middle school and high school. What I saw alot of during high school were alot of kids wearing Dixie Outfitter t-shirts, Confederate flag and all. This really disturbed me. I kept thinking "You know the CSA seceded because they wanted slavery". And some of the kids were otherwise nice, polite people who weren't calling me the "N" word (I dealt with alot of racism in high school, alot of it perpetuated by those who had a love of the CSA). I did call a few persons out on it. I would often get the "heritage not hate" line.

I am aware of the presence of racism everywhere in America, and not just bad race relations between Blacks and Whites. However, as someone who lives in the southeast, racism is present here. I've dealt with openly racist individuals myself. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a time (as did the my family). We saw less open racism there than in the South.

I've never been to West Virginia or Maryland. When it comes to Appalachia, I've gone to the parts of Appalachia within Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. I've been through part of Kentucky as a kid, but I went "through" it.

When it comes to political correctness and being against it, I at least need to mention this. Flying the Confederate flag just to go against political correctness does not make sense. There is at least some consideration that needs to be made. I look at the Confederate flag in a similar light as the Nazi flag. It is one thing to speak your mind. It is another to just be crass and hateful. I'm trying to get people think about what they are doing. I look at this from a moral perspective.
It's unfortunate that some places may still seem more racist, and I'm not doubting your experiences. Please do keep in mind that just like the friendliness of place, in my opinion the level of racism varies from one place to another. And as this thread shows, even in areas that aren't stereotypically racist (the South gets a bad rap for this but it can be prevalent in the Northeast, Midwest, and West). As far as people who flaunt having confederate flags and say it's not racist, despite the deep connotations with racism, I would distance myself from them because they probably have other issues going on with them as well that are less than pleasant personality attributes.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:04 PM

The man who flew that flag claimed it was to honor all Americans who died in the Civil War. This is the thing. The Confederate flag does not represent all Americans. It represents the Confederacy. It does not represent the Union soldiers who died in the Civil War. That excuse that man gives is just really stupid. It represents the Confederate cause. And that particular cause was rooted in keeping slavery. It is a dishonorable cause.

And to anyone who says "other societies practiced slavery", I have this to say: This about what happened right here is America, and in particular, the South. The Civil War is about what happened in the USA.

And to those who claim that Lincoln didn't like Blacks and felt they shouldn't be in America: So what? This is about what the Confederate cause was about, not Lincoln's cause. The Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause, not Lincoln's cause.

And for those who say that northerners weren't much friendlier to Blacks: So what? This discussion is not about the north. It is about the Confederate States of America and the Confederate flag. It is about the Confederate cause and what it's about.

The way I see it, there is nothing morally sound about flying the Confederate flag. That man can come up with any kind of weak excuse he wants. The fact is, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. No one is going to jail him for flying that flag. It is his choice. However, anyone who wears Dixie Outfitter shirts, or who flies Confederate flags from their yards and trucks, be prepared for strong reactions. Be prepared for people to tell you what that flag represents. Be prepared to be viewed as a racist, considering what the Confederate flag actually represents. Do not try to use the phrase "heritage not hate". Alot of people don't buy that excuse. At the very least, understand and admit that the Confederate cause was about keeping slavery and that the Confederate flag represents the Confederacy and its cause.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
What are you so worried about?
I live in an area where there are some people flying Confederate flags. I went to school with kids who wore Dixie Outfitter t-shirts. Some of them had a very ignorant, and in some cases, combative, mentality. Some were openly bigoted and racist individuals, some whom took their hate out on me. I have plenty of reason to not want that kind of vibe around me.

Question: Why does it bother you that I'm bothered by individuals flying Confederate flags, considering what the Confederate cause is all about?

Old 07-06-2018, 03:18 AM

95 posts, read 82,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I bet you would've said the same thing to African-Americans fighting for civil rights in the '60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles