U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,309 times

Advertisements

My whole plan was to get an apartment before moving (currently live near Boston) because i have a 1k pound booth i need to bring with me across country and i'd like to have an apartment to place it in immediately, however i'm getting mixed signals researching, some saying it's extremely hard other saying it's very quick. People (that i've seen) say that the main reason why is because property owners want to see proof of pay stubs IN LA before they agree to letting you rent. Wanted to ask and see what some of your experiences might of been, and how true this may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 PM

95 posts, read 60,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrasmallmagnum View Post
My whole plan was to get an apartment before moving (currently live near Boston) because i have a 1k pound booth i need to bring with me across country and i'd like to have an apartment to place it in immediately, however i'm getting mixed signals researching, some saying it's extremely hard other saying it's very quick. People (that i've seen) say that the main reason why is because property owners want to see proof of pay stubs IN LA before they agree to letting you rent. Wanted to ask and see what some of your experiences might of been, and how true this may be?
I'd say it's pretty similar to when I moved to Denver from NorCal. Most of the larger rental companies (ones with websites showing multiple properties) should be easy because they have an online process for everything: credit check, sending pay stubs, past rental history, etc.

It's the private owners and smaller buildings that could be a problem.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:11 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,391,842 times
There’s no reason you couldn’t e-mail them your pay stubs. As long as you pay the security deposit, and sign the lease, I don’t think the landlord or management company would care. I would be weary of signing a lease before seeing the place in person. You can always put your booth in short term storage while you look for a place.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:14 PM

6,823 posts, read 12,243,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
There’s no reason you couldn’t e-mail them your pay stubs. As long as you pay the security deposit, and sign the lease, I don’t think the landlord or management company would care. I would be weary of signing a lease before seeing the place in person. You can always put your booth in short term storage while you look for a place.
I'd get a short term lease (3 months or less or month to month, maybe 6 months if it looks like a good deal and the place has good reviews.)

If you can't find any short term rentals, then it's better to stay in some cheap hotels or AirBnBs with long term stay options while you look for a longer term place.

If you have one of those timeshares that lets you exchange points for places in other cities, you could also stay in one near your new city while you look for an apartment to lease.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,391,842 times
In the LA market many landlords are going to want you to sign a 12 month lease. You can probably find a 3-6 month lease at a substantial premium to market rates. I would just move out and do short term (airbnb or hotel) for a month until you find a place.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,081,859 times
It's more advisable to get a storage locker and store your stuff. You really shouldn't rent a place without actually seeing the neighborhood, building and actual apartment.
We moved here from NYC last year. Went straight to a storage place the first day we got here and signed up. Had a temp place to stay. Even though we had done tons of research online for apartments and had visited LA for a number of years before, we ended up in a place we didn't even know existed.
Having the storage made life so much easier and eased the pressure.
Look into VRBO or AirBnB for a temp place in the area you are interested in. If you can afford it the extra money really pays off in the long run.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:25 PM

247 posts, read 122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
It's more advisable to get a storage locker and store your stuff. You really shouldn't rent a place without actually seeing the neighborhood, building and actual apartment.
We moved here from NYC last year. Went straight to a storage place the first day we got here and signed up. Had a temp place to stay. Even though we had done tons of research online for apartments and had visited LA for a number of years before, we ended up in a place we didn't even know existed.
Having the storage made life so much easier and eased the pressure.
Look into VRBO or AirBnB for a temp place in the area you are interested in. If you can afford it the extra money really pays off in the long run.
Oh this is so true! NEVER, never rent a place without seeing it first, the neighborhood. You could very easy get the neighbors from hell, or really bad parking, crime infestation, or find yourself in the totally "wrong" place that doesn't fit your lifestyle at all.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:33 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Like others said, get a storage locker even if it’s just for a month or two. Your REALLY need to see the unit, building, and neighborhood first hand.

If there’s any money issue with this at all, you should rethink a move to Los Angeles

Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,713,221 times
I thought I had a good idea of what I wanted when I moved to LA six years ago, but I got a storage unit for one month (very reasonable rates at most places away from the city proper). I ended up not liking the neighborhood where the place I wanted was.

In LA you are going to be in a bubble. There is too much traffic and hassle to think of the city as a whole. You first find your bubble and then the place you want. You'll get burned by traffic a few times trying to do things too far afield. It's just not worth it in LA. I've lived-in several bubbles and loved them. Long Beach and Glendale have been my favorite bubbles so far.

The apartments I really wanted before I moved here were in Sylmar and are pretty nice and reasonable.... I thought I'd work somewhere in the city and just commute. No no no. That's not my bubble. Storage unit! it's worth it.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:26 PM

21 posts, read 9,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrasmallmagnum View Post
It's definitely possible. I just did this myself. I moved across country from FL to CA. I was going to fly out for a few days, but I decided not to. I did my entire apartment search and leased my apartment online. Now I will add I'm not new to moving to a different state to an apartment I've never set foot in so I knew what I was looking for and how I wanted to approach things. In my case I knew what general areas I was open to living in and which ones I wasn't. I also knew I only was going to deal with well established and known big apartment complex realtors such as AMLI, Equity Residential, and such. I did do some initial apartment searching on Apartments.com, but I ultimately went directly to the companies website to get an idea of the leasing process and etc. I ultimately settled on the apartment complex I now reside in after finding it on Apartments.com then going directly to the complexes website where I went through the leasing process. I will also add I quickly excluded any properties that didn't have a good way to lease online ... which most of the better apartment complexes will have anyways. For the online process I went through I did everything such as paying application fees, deposits, providing paystubs, and etc I would have had to do offline through their online leasing portals and I could have faxed documents too. So it can be done without being in the area already. For those wondering my apartment is fine and it is actually slightly better than I thought it would be based on the pictures of it I saw before-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or