U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,298,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
When it comes to our system of income taxation, logic isn't a big part. It is a combination of both (a) location of the source of income (TN in your example), and (b) where you have established residency for income tax purposes.

I believe the rule is in order for you to establish residency of Tennessee for income tax purposes you must live in Tennessee for at least 6 months plus 1 day. Then, you can spend at most 6 months minus 1 day in California. In that scenario, your income is sourced in TN. Life is good.

However, if you spend more than 6 months in CA, you've established yourself as a resident of California for income tax purposes, and you will need to file a CA form 540 and pay your income tax obligation.

Now, let's reverse things. Let's say your source of income is in California, and you spend at least 6 months plus 1 day in TN. In that case, you've established residency in TN. However, you have CA sourced income. You would then need to file a CA form 540-NR (non-resident) and you would have an income tax obligation in CA.

There are some specialized rules. For example, if you are flying from, say, TN to Singapore, and you change planes in San Francisco on the same day, that doesn't count for residency purposes. However, if your flight from San Francisco to Singapore departs after 12:01 am, then that is a day counted for residency purposes.

Some people think they can cheat. That is, they establish residency in a low- or no-income tax state, but then on the sly they spend at least 6 months plus 1 day in CA. The CA Franchise Tax Board is very good at sniffing this out. Once they decide you're a resident for income tax purposes, the burden is on you to prove otherwise.
How much tax liability are we talking about?

Some cases are worth pursuing if its worth the resources to run after you. Maybe you can get away with it if the sum involved isnt that significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM
DKM

3,854 posts, read 1,373,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I rent cars, so tagging is not my responsibility (neither is maintenance).
I never stay here for 6 months at a time.
I honestly don't see any law that I'm breaking
If you are a TN resident then you have nothing to worry about. You can only be a resident in one state at a time. Spending time in CA does not make you a resident, even if you spend a LOT of time here. Look up what being a resident means

Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM

24,746 posts, read 25,433,721 times
Quote:
California calling Tennessee a deadbeat state is pretty comical. You obviously are not aware but Tennessee has a 4 billion dollar state surplus, meanwhile California is drowning in it due to corruption but you're trying to tell me I'm unfit?!
The irony is ironic
Here are a couple deadbeat routes you're going:

- You made a topic where you're living in LA, but are trying to not pay the taxes.

- You talk about the great state of Tennessee which for decades been a net federal tax recipient while California has been a net federal tax donor for decades and has by far the largest tax "deficit" with the federal government. My perspective is that's fine, since I think it makes sense to try to work towards improving parts of the US that aren't doing well and buffer and develop them so they are and Tennessee is right now a pretty good example of that working, but that's not your mentality since you're trying to be a deadbeat.

California generated a $6.1 billion dollar state surplus last year. California's taxes pay for far more than just welfare. People might grumble about the taxes and what those taxes are spent on, but they pay them, and if it bothers them enough, try to be politically active about it. You on the other hand, are a deadbeat or actively trying to be one. Congrats, now get off the goddamn lawn.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-10-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 PM
DKM

3,854 posts, read 1,373,435 times
I don't see it being a deadbeat at all. The OP is here part time, rents (part of which goes to taxes) buys stuff (goes to tax) doesn't utilize the services for residents and does not earn income here. If you don't reside in or earn money from the state, you aren't obligated to pay income taxes here.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I don't see it being a deadbeat at all. The OP is here part time, rents (part of which goes to taxes) buys stuff (goes to tax) doesn't utilize the services for residents and does not earn income here. If you don't reside in or earn money from the state, you aren't obligated to pay income taxes here.
Read his topic title and his first post. He’s talking about living here (residing here), but skirting the income tax that comes from residency. That is a tax cheat. That is a deadbeat.

Now if you want to argue that income tax is not how state funding should be done, that it should be other things, sure, fine. Argue that. Push people around you to rally for that and try to vote that in. However, the current system is that some of the state revenue comes from income tax and that income tax comes with living here. My family’s mostly Republican and would welcome that though some of them haven’t liked the direction the pary has headed. They definitely are not for the taxes as they are now, but they pay them because they aren’t tax cheats even those who make much of their income elsewhere. In other words, they aren’t deadbeats.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-10-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 01:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,358,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Here are a couple deadbeat routes you're going:

- You made a topic where you're living in LA, but are trying to not pay the taxes.

- You talk about the great state of Tennessee which for decades been a net federal tax recipient while California has been a net federal tax donor for decades and has by far the largest tax "deficit" with the federal government. My perspective is that's fine, since I think it makes sense to try to work towards improving parts of the US that aren't doing well and buffer and develop them so they are and Tennessee is right now a pretty good example of that working, but that's not your mentality since you're trying to be a deadbeat.

California generated a $6.1 billion dollar state surplus last year. California's taxes pay for far more than just welfare. People might grumble about the taxes and what those taxes are spent on, but they pay them, and if it bothers them enough, try to be politically active about it. You on the other hand, are a deadbeat or actively trying to be one. Congrats, now get off the goddamn lawn.
That 6.1 billion surplus must mean you are getting a decrease in taxes? That's what they did in Tennessee. Made a lot of people happy 😌

Old 07-10-2018, 01:42 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,358,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Thanks man. I honestly don't see the law that I am 'supposedly' breaking either. I'm not going to voluntarily give my money if it isn't necessary. I might want to get my own neck tat one day

Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,298,088 times
Quote:
Thanks man. I honestly don't see the law that I am 'supposedly' breaking either. I'm not going to voluntarily give my money if it isn't necessary. I might want to get my own neck tat one day
for rainy day funds. they are expecting a recession under Trump

Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,319,758 times
Quote:
California calling Tennessee a deadbeat state is pretty comical. You obviously are not aware but Tennessee has a 4 billion dollar state surplus, meanwhile California is drowning in it due to corruption but you're trying to tell me I'm unfit?!
The irony is ironic
California's economy generates enough revenue to make it the 5th largest economy on the planet.

Tennessee comes nowhere near close to that!

For every $1.00 California sends to Washington DC, we get $0.25 back. Meanwhile, small economy states like Tennessee suck in about $0.50 due to federal allocations, while contributing somewhere around $0.25 .

If California were to get back more of our contributing revenue that Washington DC gives to places like Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi, a lot of the problems California has would be solved overnight.

What I don't get is that you apparently find California desirable enough to want to spend a large chunk of your life here, yet, you don't care to contribute to what is making it desirable (taxes)?

This is typical of smarmy people who apply Red State "logic" while reaping Blue State benefits.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
He misread your post. He thought you weren’t talking about living here. You’re a deadbeat, dog.

Or maybe you miswrote. Did you by “living in Los Angeles” mean you’re just here for visits but actually spend the majority of your days in Tennessee?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-10-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or