U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM

6,973 posts, read 2,809,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
That’s what’s up for debate - whether or not PD would give you grief considering the paperwork is technically in order.

CA auto insurance policies cover the vehicles you temporarily borrow and rent. This motorcycle would not need to be listed on my policy.

“Pulling a fast one”? Not sure why this is someone’s thought. Why would anyone be so ridiculous as to purchase a motorcycle and go through such great lengths just to ride a few miles when one is readily available?
Your relative will need to maintain the liability insurance for it. Since it's legally his vehicle. He should also put you on his policy, as a driver, since you will be the primary driver of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 PM

17,338 posts, read 21,544,671 times
Quote:
That’s what’s up for debate - whether or not PD would give you grief considering the paperwork is technically in order.

CA auto insurance policies cover the vehicles you temporarily borrow and rent. This motorcycle would not need to be listed on my policy.

“Pulling a fast one”? Not sure why this is someone’s thought. Why would anyone be so ridiculous as to purchase a motorcycle and go through such great lengths just to ride a few miles when one is readily available?
Yes, temporarily. You said a for a year, that is not temporarily. Ask an insurance agent.

They most likely will give you grief. You could maybe say your cousin drove the bike out from WI and is staying with you and you took it out for a ride, IDK.

Do you have a CA motorcycle license?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:38 PM

17,457 posts, read 16,321,639 times
Quote:
Why would anyone be so ridiculous as to purchase a motorcycle and go through such great lengths just to ride a few miles when one is readily available?
So why not just rent one?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,512,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, temporarily. You said a for a year, that is not temporarily. Ask an insurance agent.

They most likely will give you grief. You could maybe say your cousin drove the bike out from WI and is staying with you and you took it out for a ride, IDK.

Do you have a CA motorcycle license?
I hear ya. I’m just optimistic it will work! Yes I have a CA motorcycle license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So why not just rent one?
Two reasons: (1) renting for dozens of days is pricey. (2) the motorcycle in question is actually mine and I’m definitely “pulling a fast one” by selling to my relative. I didn’t want to disclose this until now so we could focus on the facts, which after additional research, show this will not be an issue.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 AM

12,659 posts, read 11,381,076 times
Like I said earlier you will probably get away with it. But if pulled over and ticketed or you get in a wreck, expect a mess with local law enforcement and a HUGE mess with insurance as they like to know when the vehicles they insure are being used out of state and under a different person than the owner. It could get really ugly. Not worth saving a few bucks.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 AM

7,067 posts, read 7,031,905 times
Who's to say you didn't borrow the bike from your friend who is visiting from Washington? Of course if you're pulled over more than once, the story becomes less believable. Ohh... I'm not condoning illegal activity, just saying.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM

6,973 posts, read 2,809,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Who's to say you didn't borrow the bike from your friend who is visiting from Washington? Of course if you're pulled over more than once, the story becomes less believable. Ohh... I'm not condoning illegal activity, just saying.
You don't need to get pulled over more than once for them to know. California is filled with automatic license plate readers. You can't drive anywhere without your license plate being logged into police computers. Your plate number is being tracked all of the time. You can't keep it a secret. You have to do it legally. The vehicle needs to be registered and insured by who ever owns it.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:29 PM

6,484 posts, read 4,669,843 times
If you plan on doing this and disagree with everyone anyway, why bother posting it?
You might get away with it, but the price to pay if something happens could be steep. Then again if you or your relative don't have much in assets and you get sued, maybe it's worth the risk?
I can easily se an insurance company doing its best to not cover you if something happened.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM
DKM

3,852 posts, read 1,362,993 times
I kept my out of state registration for over a year and then sold my car before it needed to be registered. I was told that I'd have a problem if I was pulled over, but I never was so its in the past now. Now I'm paying for the plates. As for insurance, they will let insure you in CA and don't care where the car is registered. you need a local license though.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,235,007 times
IF you failed a smog test in CA, then get stopped driving that vehicle with a 'its not mine' story the records will show it was, and you could have major smog penalties. The VIN will link to your old records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or