Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be attending USC for one year, starting this June. For a while I was considering living in Culver City and driving into campus, but now I'm thinking living right in the neighborhood north of USC, so I can easily bicycle to campus, is probably the smartest idea. Unfortunately, it seems like housing in that area comes in only two forms: insanely expensive ($3150 for a 2-bedroom) newer apartment complexes (Tuscany, City Park USC, and the Orsini come to mind) and extremely old dingy mini-apartments and old houses divided into 4 unit shacks that are still total rip-offs, just not as astronomically expensive ($1000-$1400 for a one bedroom or studio, $1600-$1800 for a 2-bed, 1-bath). Pretty much all of the apartments available, with the exception of the most expensive ones, do not come with air conditioning. Some of them don't even have a laundry room, some of them don't even come with a parking space on the property. What I find shocking, almost disgusting actually, is these apartment services are assuming "2 person per room" occupancy; packing 2 people in a one-bedroom, 4 people in a 2 bedroom, 6 people in a 3 bedroom.

I don't mind bicycling a little farther away; I just want to make sure I'm not living in a dangerous area. I've come across a few apartments for rent that are a little more reasonable; one on 22nd st a block east of Hoover, one on Budlong (in the half mile grid west of Vermont). Right now I'm a little mixed up-- when I call up these landlords, I can't tell whether they're trying to discourage me from some of their properties I have in mind or if they're trying to "upsell me." I might be able to drive out to LA two weeks from now to take a look at the area, but I'm still not sure if I can do that or not. Anybody that knows West Adams/ North University Park in detail, please tell me what the boundaries are for the area that's not high-crime or gangland. How far north, south, east or west from the immediate campus area is it safe to branch out? And is it safe to frequent businesses in the area? For example, I see there is a Ralphs on Vermont & Adams? Is that store okay to go to? at night? Is Figueroa st, connecting from the east entrance of USC to downtown a safe area to drive through? walk through? at day? at night? All help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
That area is pretty bad throughout all times of the day, it's marred with alot of gangs, graffiti and drugs.

No real boundaries or anything, for the most part, the area has a suspicious feel all day long. If you exercise common sense and don't run into trouble, you should be OK.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I would suggest finding a roommate that goes to USC and rent one of the nice ones. Also, USC isn't in the greatest area. I mean, it's not Compton, but there's still a lot of crime in that area. Living with a roommate will provide more safety.

But, can I ask you why you wouldn't drive in LA? I mean, this is the last place you would want to be without a car. The best advice I can give you is to stay west of USC and north of the 10 to have the best area. Go on Google Earth and look up the USC location. All areas along the 110 are ghetto, especially to the east. Make sure to check off the option for transportation and it will show you the different public transportation rail lines. You could possibly live in downtown and take the blue line south to the Grand stop and then take a bus down to USC or ride your bike.

If you can't afford downtown, live somewhere along the Red Line and take that east to Union Station, switch to the Blue Line, and do the same as above.

I don't know how long it would take, but the Blue Line has stops in downtown Long Beach and you could live there or Belmont Shore (pretty much the most affordable LA beach city) and take the Blue Line north to the Grand Station. I'm not sure how long that would be, but you could definitely afford a place in Belmont Shore which is a very nice area.

In Belmont Shore, stay south of Broadway for the best areas or south of 3rd street for a deal in an okay area.

Belmont Shore Remodeled Private (broken link)
31 Hermosa Ave. -- Belmont Heights (broken link)
26 Belmont Ave. -- Belmont Heights (broken link)
24 6th Place - Belmont Shore (broken link)
4129 E. 3rd. St#1-1 Bed/1 Bath-Terrific Location,by Belmont shore! (broken link)
1ba, Great Apartment Next to the BEACH on Ocean Blvd @ Ocean View Apts (broken link)
Long Beach-Belmont Shore OCEAN VIEW OCEAN VIEW (broken link)
Beautiful Single with Kitchen for Rent 1245 Appleton #6 (broken link)
Belmont Shore beach living- 2 blocks from beach (broken link)
Rare Courtyard Studios (broken link)

On Naples Island, extremely upscale.
small naples island 1bd. all utils paid!! block to beach (broken link)

Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I would suggest finding a roommate that goes to USC and rent one of the nice ones. Also, USC isn't in the greatest area. I mean, it's not Compton, but there's still a lot of crime in that area. Living with a roommate will provide more safety.
Having a roommate is a definite consideration; in fact, that's what I want to do. But I don't want to have to sleep with another person (unless if it's a sexy lady...) in the same bedroom, that just sucks. If you're going to do that, you might as well just live in the dorms and call it official. What's next-- they'll be renting half of a twin-sized bed for $999 a month-- 2 or three roommates in the same bed?

Quote:
But, can I ask you why you wouldn't drive in LA? I mean, this is the last place you would want to be without a car. The best advice I can give you is to stay west of USC and north of the 10 to have the best area. Go on Google Earth and look up the USC location. All areas along the 110 are ghetto, especially to the east. Make sure to check off the option for transportation and it will show you the different public transportation rail lines. You could possibly live in downtown and take the blue line south to the Grand stop and then take a bus down to USC or ride your bike.
Thanks for info about the bus lines, jessemh431. I am planning on taking my car out there (it's a pretty old, unglamourous car compared to what most of the kids at USC drive, but it's a working car nonetheless), I would just prefer to live in a situation where I don't have to drive to class, purchase a parking permit, be stuck in traffic multiple times a day, etc. I'll have my car for getting out of the sticks on nights and weekends. I'm not really even looking at Long Beach, but just out of curiosity, is the Blue Line "safe"? Looking at a map, it appears like that line goes straight through Compton and some of the worst ghettoes of LA. Also, Union Station-- where in downtown is it in relation to the central business district?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
The closest safe area you will find is Leimert Park( the King side ). Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of apartments in that area. There are apartments next to Target at La Cienega and Rodeo (stay on Rodeo, I wouldn't recommend going down La Cienega). Beyond that, you are in Culver City. By street, CC is about 15-20 min away.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Having a roommate is a definite consideration; in fact, that's what I want to do. But I don't want to have to sleep with another person (unless if it's a sexy lady...) in the same bedroom, that just sucks. If you're going to do that, you might as well just live in the dorms and call it official. What's next-- they'll be renting half of a twin-sized bed for $999 a month-- 2 or three roommates in the same bed?

Thanks for info about the bus lines, jessemh431. I am planning on taking my car out there (it's a pretty old, unglamourous car compared to what most of the kids at USC drive, but it's a working car nonetheless), I would just prefer to live in a situation where I don't have to drive to class, purchase a parking permit, be stuck in traffic multiple times a day, etc. I'll have my car for getting out of the sticks on nights and weekends. I'm not really even looking at Long Beach, but just out of curiosity, is the Blue Line "safe"? Looking at a map, it appears like that line goes straight through Compton and some of the worst ghettoes of LA. Also, Union Station-- where in downtown is it in relation to the central business district?
If you stay on the Blue line then you'll be fine. (gagging) Though there's no reason to live all the way in Long Beach. There isn't a lot of traffic if you travel by street. I can't speak for the parking situation at USC, but I do know that at every campus I've attended there was always street parking. Granted, USC is not in the best neighborhood but if you stayed to the Jefferson side of the campus it's a LOT safe than the King side.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 PM

You would be fine on the Blue Line. Just keep to yourself and just like if you were on a subway in NYC, don't flaunt your expensive stuff such as an expensive watch, expensive phone, iPod, laptop, etc. Also, if you live near any rail station and use that to get to work, they have free parking where you can leave your car. If your car isn't like a top of the line M-B/Audi/BMW, you should have nothing to worry about with your car being stolen.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Just for kicks, what are your opinions about Koreatown? It is literally all Koreans? Do any white people live there? Better or worse than West Adams? How long of a drive would it be during rush hour(s) from say, Western & Wilshire to USC?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just for kicks, what are your opinions about Koreatown? Koreatown is an in-between place it's not bad but it's not the best neighborhood, either. It is literally all Koreans? It's a very diverse community. But it is predominately Korean and Hispanics. There some Blacks and Whites there as well. Do any white people live there? Yes Better or worse than West Adams? Better How long of a drive would it be during rush hour(s) from say, Western & Wilshire to USC?
It would take about 20 min to 30 to get to USC.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM

K-Town's a pretty good option. Lots of new apartments and it's becoming much more lively and urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles