U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,876 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We currently live in Victorville, CA (the desert on the way to Vegas). I am a ride share driver (uber and lyft), so moving closer to LA will give me more work than what I am getting out here. Also, my daughter is a dancer in LA so we are looking forward to a shorter commute for that, which is 2 hours one way right now. I would like to be close enough to LA, but not in the city. Close to shops, and things to do ( I have 3 daughters, all under 19 y/o) We are looking to move into an apartment, at least initially for a year or 2. We have looked in Pasadena, and also over in Woodland Hills, which we really loved. My daughter mainly dances in the evening and usually in or around Studio City area, so we would be driving into the city from 4-6pm and leaving to go back home from 8-10pm. How bad is the commute from Woodland Hills during the hours? Any other places a little outside of LA that are nice areas? We are looking at apartment rent under $3000, hopefully!

TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,308,688 times
Try Sylmar, Santa Clarita, Castaic or the west side of Palmdale.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 PM

181 posts, read 134,517 times
You have a nice budget. You could rent in Santa Clarita which is a great area and be very close to Studio City. Traveling down there at 4 wouldn’t be a big issue.

You already live in Victorville, so you know what the high desert is like. West Palmdale or west Lancaster would be an easy transition. It’s a little further out than the Santa Clarita valley, but you can still get to Studio City in an hour or maybe less.

With that budget and wanting to be closer to things to do for three teenage girls, I would pick SC.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM

868 posts, read 867,953 times
Woodland Hills and Pasadena are both good spots. Only downsides are that Pasadena public schools are poor and Woodland Hills may not be good given that its part of LAUSD which is below average, although a couple of the local schools may be pretty good. Nevertheless, both are safe areas (exception with Pasadena is northwest Pasadena) with plenty of things to do, but still suburban and with new apartment complexes. Downside with Woodland Hills is it can get really hot, but if you're from Victorville, then you're probably used to it.

The commute from Woodland Hills to Studio City should be around 30-35 minutes between 4-6pm. And it's approximately the same from Pasadena.

If you want to send your kids to good, public schools, then Santa Clarita is a good option as mentioned. Although as a ride share driver, it is likely better to be in Woodland Hills or Pasadena given larger population.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,308,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
You have a nice budget. You could rent in Santa Clarita which is a great area and be very close to Studio City. Traveling down there at 4 wouldn’t be a big issue.

You already live in Victorville, so you know what the high desert is like. West Palmdale or west Lancaster would be an easy transition. It’s a little further out than the Santa Clarita valley, but you can still get to Studio City in an hour or maybe less.

With that budget and wanting to be closer to things to do for three teenage girls, I would pick SC.

West Palmdale/West Lancaster (west Antelope Valley) are a lot cooler, temperature wise than Victorville. Schools are better in the west Antelope Valley than in Victorville.

When I leave Studio City to go to West Palmdale to visit my brother's family, it's usually exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes -- my door to his door.

The issue with Santa Clarita is that all of the apartments for rent are clustered along the Jake's Way corridor, or in Newhall, and neither of those areas are very nice. There are a few apartment complexes in Stevenson Ranch worth checking out.

For what you'd be paying for an apartment in the mediocre parts of Santa Clarita, you could probably rent a nice home on the west side of Palmdale. Just a thought.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 PM
DKM

3,855 posts, read 1,362,993 times
Take a look at Granada Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles