Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much will hot weather impact real estate prices in 3-5 years?
Significant: Cooler city homes worth 25% more. 8 19.05%
Moderate: Cooler city homes worth 10% more. 2 4.76%
Noticeable: Cooler city homes worth 5% more. 1 2.38%
Tiny: 1-2% at best. 2 4.76%
No difference. 29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

No but more prolonged droughts will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,668 times
The weather is always hot in the summer. Been like that for years. No surprise.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:30 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
I can't see weather becoming a significant factor in the near-term. Only exception might be the uptick in fires that may make folks steer clear of hilly communities that are right up against undeveloped land (e.g. foothills, parts of Santa Clarita).

As noted, something like a massive earthquake or large economic downturn would have a greater impact.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2002 View Post
In the next 3-5 years, do you see the hot weather start becoming an important factor in real estate prices?

As in cooler beach-adjacent cities will be worth even more, and the hotter inland cities will experience slower growth?

And if you have to put a price on that, what would it be? For example, comparing a house in Torrance vs Walnut, for example, say they are equal in every way except for weather, would the Torrance house be worth more?

Note: Of course beach city houses are ALREADY more valuable. My poll is asking about additional value gains due to increase in temperature.
absolutely no, why would you even think this? Your comparison between Walnut and Torrance is a strange one. The traffic and time getting from downtown alone to Walnut versus Torrance is a big factor.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM

113 posts, read 257,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
absolutely no, why would you even think this? Your comparison between Walnut and Torrance is a strange one. The traffic and time getting from downtown alone to Walnut versus Torrance is a big factor.
Sorry if comparison seems strange. But I work from home so I guess I often forget about the perspective of traffic.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes Walnut is faster to downtown since it has Metrolink. Torrance to Downtown has no train service.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:25 PM

113 posts, read 257,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Yes Walnut is faster to downtown since it has Metrolink. Torrance to Downtown has no train service.
I've been meaning to ask a public transportation question and you seem very knowledgeable.

What will happen when Long Beach shuts off their Blue Line for 2019 (for renovation)? Is 110 going to be insane?

Also, should one try to invest in a home around the blue line stations in Long Beach? It is a gentrifying area (lots of new luxury condos building) and once the blue line is upgraded it should be one of the nicer beach cities you can live in that has good public transport to dtla.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:25 PM

240 posts, read 240,203 times
The change in value for weather is already accounted for... I don't see that gap changing. I hear from Westsiders all the time who are looking to buy a first home in the Valley that it's hotter here, but the can afford here more. And as long as that holds true, it'll not stop the buyer pool.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
I think housing will crash soon.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
The change in value for weather is already accounted for... I don't see that gap changing. I hear from Westsiders all the time who are looking to buy a first home in the Valley that it's hotter here, but the can afford here more. And as long as that holds true, it'll not stop the buyer pool.
Westside for a SFH seems to be $1.2 million at least for a typical 3/2 that isn’t updated and would be considered a fixer .
Santa Monica looks to be $2 million plus.
I grew up on the Westside and Culver City /Mar Vista used to be reasonable areas but not very expensive especially with the whole Silicon Beach scene .

Areas like Woodland Hills are a lot more reasonable versus the Westside and I’m thinking probably have as low a crime rate , but hotter and further from as many decent paying jobs .

You can get homes with decent land /lots in the valley too and now pay 3 million or more .

I see Warner Center/Woodland Hills appealingly more to younger professionals with all the new apartments that will be built . Hopefully it helps redevelop Canoga Park which is on the border .
I know a couple they bought a house recently in Woodland Hills paid about 900k but it is a nice house with a lot of space , pool etc . Same house in West L.A would probably be $1.5 million or more .

Apparently the company that owns Mall of America is looking to by a 47 acre site which is massive of course .
https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/04/1...in-the-valley/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles