Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times

Advertisements

That's poor, even for sacramento standards. If you don't mind living in a bad neighborhood without any savings, then I guess you'll be alright. But you seem rather young, so live somewhere with a lower COL, and when you build up more wealth, then think about moving to LA in the future. You're not going to establish any savings whatsoever out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
That won't cut it. As a recovering Californian, I can tell you to look at other States. As I say, California is like a wedding. As soon as you say your planning a wedding, everything costs 40% more.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
That is true... but I don't think I've ever seen one comment where someone said it was cheaper to live in metro CA than here. 50k here is alright as long as you pick up roommates... otherwise... good luck with that.

Pretty confident my reply was accurate.

You're over confident....LOL.

Like many you base COL of housing costs, which are INSANE in most parts of CA, and especially the LA area. Day to day living is about the same as many other places. groceries are cheaper than many other places.

OP sounds young, most likely single, they're not looking to buy a house.

If they're not coming out with huge credit card debt, $1,000 a month student loan payment, etc., it is very doable.

And living with a roommate who is another young professional type isn't a bad idea, it's a way to get to meet people.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 AM

326 posts, read 199,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're over confident....LOL.

Like many you base COL of housing costs, which are INSANE in most parts of CA, and especially the LA area. Day to day living is about the same as many other places. groceries are cheaper than many other places.

OP sounds young, most likely single, they're not looking to buy a house.

If they're not coming out with huge credit card debt, $1,000 a month student loan payment, etc., it is very doable.

And living with a roommate who is another young professional type isn't a bad idea, it's a way to get to meet people.
Sounds a lot like Seattle metro. Insane housing... day to day living is doable.

I only said what I said because most people here consider the COL outrageous due to the housing costs... but they all say CA is worse.. hence my original reply.

I'm all for roommates. I have 2... that help with the expenses on my 3BR condo which for rent and utilities/cable/internet is about $2400 per month and I'm in a good but not premium side of town.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
It's as expensive as it is for someone making $250k per year.

Just about everyone pays the same price for goods and services.
Just so much wrong here.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
you can probably live ok. Either you get a ton of room mates, or maybe not live in the most desirable neighborhood. LA is pretty spread out, and there are a lot of crappy areas in the metro area with really cheap rent. You'd probably pay a ton of money in gas every day, since if you're making 50k, you're a semi-professional, and you probably aren't living in an area with a huge corporate presence if you're paying low rent. So your commute is probably going to be clocking in at 2+ hours daily. You better like to drive. Conversely you can probably live Inland and probably pay somewhat reasonably rent if you're willing to put up with roommates. Unlike San Francisco or NY, you can probably have a decent living space with a few roomates. In NYC and San Francisco you'd need room mates just to live in a small apartment. In LA you could reasonably live with room mates and expect to have your own private room, and even with it's own bathroom.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabihaS View Post
Just for curiosity, is there a comfortable living in LA for someone who might earn 50k in their field?
Well, for S&G I looked. For $300-500K you can get a nice looking house and the neighborhood looks nice and clean...But then you have to deal with people who demand you agree they can be 57 varieties of gender (Or none) and that there's a large stray dog population (I mean really LA?) Plus the taxes are probably severe....But the weather can be great...Well, that's all I care to post....

Oh, OK one more thing...for $550K it looks nice....

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-98964?view=qv

Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
It's as expensive as it is for someone making $250k per year.

Just about everyone pays the same price for goods and services.
If you're struggling to live ANYWHERE for 250k, then that's more of a reflection of your lack of money management, and less to do with cost of living. 250k a year is nearly netting almost 10k a month. That's paying the the highest taxes in the most over taxed cities. There are certainly places with 7k or 8k for rent. But you can pretty much find a decent place to stay anywhere in the country for 3k. I'd even say you can stay in a decent area in any 90% of America for 2k a month rent. Unless you're trying to live in a prime luxury apartment in the middle of Beverly Hills, I can't see where you'd ever struggle. And let's be honest, at this point you'd just be living excessively.

One could argue that some houses could cost you 10k a month in mortgage. and there are definitely people paying those type of mortgages. But they probably are more than likely to have networths in the 8 figures. In summary, get in where you fit in.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 8,618 times
50k? You'd be in the poor house.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 8,618 times
LA homes cost 600k-1million. Apartments are 2400 ish for a decent 1 bed or studio but usually rent for higher amounts. In the ghetto, maybe 1,800 for a small 1 bed or studio. 50k would qualify you for a 150k home. Their aren't any ever for that price, and haven't been since the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles