Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 8,612 times

Advertisements

Groceries are also something to consider. You'll find yourself spending 700ish a month, just for yourself... unless you decide to put your health last and live off ramen, canned food, and crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 PM

This is probably why there's thousands of homeless people in California. Be wise and think it thoroughly.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:55 PM

58 posts, read 51,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthxxawake View Post
Groceries are also something to consider. You'll find yourself spending 700ish a month, just for yourself... unless you decide to put your health last and live off ramen, canned food, and crap.

700???? That's too much!! What about someone who does their cooking at home and barely goes out eat?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:19 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Wouldn't it be a lot pricier living in NYC than L.A.?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Don't even bother. Go for a 50K Job in the midwest, Deep South etc. It goes much further. Avoid the West, NorthEast etc.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:35 PM

80 posts, read 50,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Don't even bother. Go for a 50K Job in the midwest, Deep South etc. It goes much further. Avoid the West, NorthEast etc.
The people are also more down to Earth in the Midwest and South. That's a bonus.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM

There's a reason LA has over 13,000 homeless people. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Sounds a lot like Seattle metro. Insane housing... day to day living is doable.

I only said what I said because most people here consider the COL outrageous due to the housing costs... but they all say CA is worse.. hence my original reply.

I'm all for roommates. I have 2... that help with the expenses on my 3BR condo which for rent and utilities/cable/internet is about $2400 per month and I'm in a good but not premium side of town.
Yes, exactly. OP isn't looking to buy a house. So that is not a concern. Sounds like a young person, I say go for it, don't want to be 50 and doing the "what ifs". People who don't even live in LA or even visited dishing out advice on a subject they have no real knowledge on. Basing it strictly on home prices or too much "Entourage".

They could find a situation similar to yours, someone who owns a condo or a home who needs roommates. Or they could do a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath apt, probably pay around $900 or a $1,000 a month for a decent place.

Quote:
LA homes cost 600k-1million. Apartments are 2400 ish for a decent 1 bed or studio but usually rent for higher amounts. In the ghetto, maybe 1,800 for a small 1 bed or studio. 50k would qualify you for a 150k home. Their aren't any ever for that price, and haven't been since the 90's.
WTH are you talking about? I know people renting here who pay way less than that.

Quote:
Oh my, now you're just making things up.....LOL. I have NEVER spent anything close to that, I shop at Vons, Trader Joes, and Gelsons, and I eat fresh vegetables, organic beef, etc.

To quote Jack Nicholson "go sell crazy someplace else, we're full up here".

Quote:
This is probably why there's thousands of homeless people in California. Be wise and think it thoroughly.
They come into CA from other parts of the country for the most part, if you're going to be on the street you can live in Southern CA and not freeze to death at night. They also come from other countries, was a report on the news not that long ago and the homeless in Venice Beach were from all over.

While some are CA residents, many aren't.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
You will be living in poverty, in a tiny nasty apartment with several roommates.

50k goes a long way in lots of non-CA areas, but its not even peanuts in LA

Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, for S&G I looked. For $300-500K you can get a nice looking house and the neighborhood looks nice and clean...But then you have to deal with people who demand you agree they can be 57 varieties of gender (Or none) and that there's a large stray dog population (I mean really LA?) Plus the taxes are probably severe....But the weather can be great...Well, that's all I care to post....

Oh, OK one more thing...for $550K it looks nice....

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-98964?view=qv
That is just a picture of an old house exterior. Do you have any ideal what Lincoln Heights whose major geographic feature might be the LA "River" storm flood control drain running through it is like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles