Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not my style of music. Next time post something that slams, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlErbfDDdu8
Wasn’t the Talisman about sailing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:23 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
You're welcome! You're probably onto the idea of checking with the community colleges in that area for sailing classes as well as UCLA.
You have other excellent referrals posted here as well. You will find skippers looking for crew - I strongly suggest formal lessons first -as you get more involved. There used to be a local sailing rag but I can't remember the name although Latitude 38 (rag or website) is an option too. Latitude 38 is SF Bay focused but I notice there some Socal skippers looking for crew.
The Windjammers Club may have listings for skippers looking for crew or can refer you to sites more Marina Del Rey specific.
You'll find sailors are a social lot and love to have a good time.
Good luck and enjoy!
When I was a kid, I took a few lessons out of MDR in those yellow and red sailboats, so what I'd ideally like to do is repeat that and move on from there simply to gain knowledge.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Wasn’t the Talisman about sailing?

I'm not familiar with their newer stuff, with the exception of the songs Rainmaker and Montsegur.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:25 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Has anybody had sailing lessons in Marina Del Rey? Any words of advice?
Bluewater Sailing in MDR. Great sailing school. Prices are very reasonable and if you get another 1-2 people to sign up with you, its discounted even MORE. You can also go out for a "trial" with Bluewater before signing up just to make sure that you like it.

I am seriously thinking of getting a sailboat myself. With all the new construction going on a MDR, its going to be a seriously happening place very very soon. Looking at Privilege Serie 5 (50 foot) and Serie 6 (60 foot) boats to either liveaboard or Air B&B.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Try Marina Sailing in MDR or Long Beach. Not only can you learn to sail, but then you can charter their boats of different sizes to see how you like it. That's how I learned many years ago. The place was called Calypso and I day chartered for a year or two before buying my own sailboat.
I have had Marina Sailing recommended by a very competent sailing friend as well - he did some refresher training, and his wife - who started on the ASA classes more or less from scratch - now does spinnaker bowperson duty with confidence.

For boat rentals, their fleet is pretty substantive and you can sail out of MDR, King Harbor (Redondo) and Long Beach, locally - and Oxnard and San Diego if you want to explore further.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I have had Marina Sailing recommended by a very competent sailing friend as well - he did some refresher training, and his wife - who started on the ASA classes more or less from scratch - now does spinnaker bowperson duty with confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Try Marina Sailing in MDR or Long Beach. Not only can you learn to sail, but then you can charter their boats of different sizes to see how you like it.
Marina Sailing is great, but the make best use of it, you'll need to become a member. The OP complains about paying $15 for parking, so I doubt he'll be willing to become a member despite the HUGE savings and reduction in prices for training.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Marina Sailing is great, but the make best use of it, you'll need to become a member. The OP complains about paying $15 for parking, so I doubt he'll be willing to become a member despite the HUGE savings and reduction in prices for training.
As I stated, it's the principle of paying an outrageous price for parking, not that I haven't the money to spend as I see fit.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Here is that Privilege sailboat I've been looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1T6O1qdDIU

Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM

^ I like that.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 AM

779 posts, read 506,322 times
I'm gonna throw this out there on this thread. I'm looking for sailing opportunities for myself. I am very experienced and have owned several boats in the past. I'd be very interested in a partnership situation. A 1/4 share in a Catalina 30 berthed in Long Beach would be perfect. Long Beach has the best day-sailing in the area. I would like to go for a daysail on anyone's boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles