Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:16 AM

8 posts, read 19,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
As others have mentioned, I'm a bit confused as well. "Good real estate deals" are highly subjective.

I have never lived over there, but my general opinion of Koreatown is that it's more desirable that South LA at this point. It's smack dab between downtown and Miracle Mile. It's also got great public transportation options and fairly close to the 10, so mobility isn't much of an issue. There are some great authentic restaurants and near the Wiltern for entertainment. Lastly, I've had many drunken nights doing karaoke in my 20s there, so I think fondly of it.

I am interested in real estate investing, so I have been looking at multifamily properties to invest. I found a couple of good deals by my standards. I primarily base it on dollars per square feet, location, cap rate, and the building itself. I am currently trying to learn more about the locations in Los Angeles. I have no desire to buy any property right now as I am just settling in, but I would like to be prepared. Thanks for the responses. It has given me a better picture of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And to mirror the South Central reasoning the 18th Street versus MS 13 wars are not what they used to be.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any areas you would recommend for someone to rent a room/apartment in central or south LA?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asxdcf View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any areas you would recommend for someone to rent a room/apartment in central or south LA?
Frankly we don't know enough about you. Your pain tolerance for a commute to work, where else you would want to go and how long to get there. Is the local ethnic make up a factor and most importantly your budget.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asxdcf View Post
I am interested in real estate investing, so I have been looking at multifamily properties to invest. I found a couple of good deals by my standards. I primarily base it on dollars per square feet, location, cap rate, and the building itself. I am currently trying to learn more about the locations in Los Angeles. I have no desire to buy any property right now as I am just settling in, but I would like to be prepared. Thanks for the responses. It has given me a better picture of LA.
Are you finding any properties that actually cash flow positive after all expenses ?

Most for sale seem to be rent control buildings with people paying way below market rent .

California is looking into expanding rent control , look into Prop 10 . The mayor of L.A is in support of rent control . Some other cities surrounding L.A don’t have rent control like Inglewood , Glendale , Burbank .

Old 08-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you finding any properties that actually cash flow positive after all expenses ?

Most for sale seem to be rent control buildings with people paying way below market rent .

California is looking into expanding rent control, look into Prop 10 . The mayor of L.A is in support of rent control . Some other cities surrounding L.A don’t have rent control like Inglewood , Glendale , Burbank .

Yeah, there has been quite a few that cash flows. Not to the extend that I will buy them, but they are good deals. I am only interested in highly distressed buildings with a highly motivated seller. I would say about 20% of the buildings are rent controllled. I stay away from those.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Frankly we don't know enough about you. Your pain tolerance for a commute to work, where else you would want to go and how long to get there. Is the local ethnic make up a factor and most importantly your budget.

As long as it is in central or south LA, I can live just about anywhere in those neighborhood. I mainly grew up with White and East Asians, so those ethnicity would be the most comofortable. However, ethnicitiy make up is not a big factor. I am currently trying to save up as much as I can. My ideal place would be less than 700 for a room or 1200 for an apartment.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
The area looks very nice, I love the homes over there. Think of it as one of the nicest places in South LA I wouldn't mind buying a house there.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 22,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
As others have mentioned, I'm a bit confused as well. "Good real estate deals" are highly subjective.

I have never lived over there, but my general opinion of Koreatown is that it's more desirable that South LA at this point. It's smack dab between downtown and Miracle Mile. It's also got great public transportation options and fairly close to the 10, so mobility isn't much of an issue. There are some great authentic restaurants and near the Wiltern for entertainment. Lastly, I've had many drunken nights doing karaoke in my 20s there, so I think fondly of it.
No it's not your opinion that Koreatown is way different and more desirable and expensive than South Central, it's an overwhelming gigantic and obvious fact. It's like saying Westwood and West LA seem more desirable and expensive than Boyle Heights and El Monte. South LA /South Central LA is still beyond the pale, across the line, frightening unknown territory for an enormous number of middle class and above Los Angelenos. And working class people from other areas. There are relatively very little shopping, food and beverage and other amenities there. The feeling and perception of crime is noticeably higher there. Koreatown is incredibly different. Koreatown is a mainstream hipster and young professional neighborhood surrounded by East Hollywood, Westlake, Hancock Park and Mid City neighborhoods with big old craftsmen homes. Koreatown has the most important business /built up boulevard in all of Central LA- Wilshire - running through its center. Koreatown has a few hundred thousand Korean immigrants who bring an explosive critical mass of great restaurants, coffee places, stores, services, late night scene and now luxury residential buildings as well as vibrant occupancy of the older residential buildings. Koreatown has a big city urban grit feel in some ways abs its not always squeaky clean safe but it's incredibly NOT comporable to South LA /Hyde Park. In some ways South LA / Hyde Park is quieter and more suburban. But Koreatown has real residential desirability right off the bat for creative artistic types who now flock there as well as thousands and thousands of Koreans many of whom are high earners and have fairly urbane sophisticated tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles