Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I would have stopped.
I would have stopped as well simply because it would be the RIGHT THING TO DO.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Well many on here talk about how most people there usually don't care about anyone but themselves, and their money. So it's not that hard to believe that no one stopped.(I don't live there so I'm not going to judge them)

I definitely would have stopped, always do. I know in some states, no sure about CA, that it's actually illegal for me NOT to stop because I'm an EMT.

The Fire Dept or a police officer will be there soon enough. So it's not like you have to sit there for an hour. Only need to take out a whole 10 minutes of your time.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
how does a civilian without medical training assist someone whose car has crashed into the median on a busy freeway? i'm not without concern for others, but i'm not going to get myself killed to "help" someone for whom i really can't do anything anyway. i don't even remember how to do CPR properly! what should i stop and DO? stare? create another road hazard? what, exactly?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
When I had my car accident, no one was able to medically help me but they were able to: 1) keep me calm, 2) call for help, 3) let the people coming to help me know how bad off I was. I was very comforting knowing I wasn't alone. What if that person was sitting in his car spending his last moments all alone? Where I have to go is not nearly as important.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
When I had my car accident, no one was able to medically help me but they were able to: 1) keep me calm, 2) call for help, 3) let the people coming to help me know how bad off I was. I was very comforting knowing I wasn't alone. What if that person was sitting in his car spending his last moments all alone? Where I have to go is not nearly as important.
of course, i would call for help. (i said that above.) i do that when i see cars recently stalled on side of the freeway, and no emergency services present. (sometimes the dispatcher indicates that they've already been called, but no matter.) i call if someone is driving erratically on the freeway, or if there is a hazard on the roadway. i just don't think that under this particular set of circumstances, with the vehicle crashed against the median, it would make sense to run across a freeway just to see what i could do. it has nothing to do with being apathetic or in a hurry; it isn't safe, and the first responders don't need to have to deal with my carcase in the road as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
so someone HAS helped you cespeed in your time of need! and most people here said they would help. and i know i stopped when some [mod cut: language] smashed a car of old people. lets consider that the typical behavior of most angelenos. people do stop and help. why you gotta be so negative? but ima give you some credit...
anyhow, you do gotta be careful. a couple years ago there was a case were a car was stalled on the 60 over by Montebello around 2 am. a car stopped to help them and the helper ended up getting hit by another car!!! and killed!!!!!!! awful. completely awful. so when helping people i would never put myself in too much danger. i might not go after a thug with a knife, but if it was a butter knife, THEN maybe. point being you have to use your best judgement. better safe than sorry.

yo well, i didnt hear about this particular case and i would like more info. but what do you feel is typical about this case? if you ask me, the freeway shooting seems to be happening more often than before. so many car to car shootings. people dying over bad looks and quick lane changes. it just aint worth it. my life is worth so much more than that. freeway shootings becoming typical is scary. really scary. i just hope it's not some Maryland or DC or midwest sniper mess. not that it being road rage is any better, but yall get what i mean.
sad, truly sad

Last edited by SandyCo; 03-31-2008 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,023 times
on saturday night/sunday morning, i was merging onto the 101(or was it the 110?) and saw a car sitting on the far left lane facing oncoming traffic. THe freeway was pretty dead, and i couldn't see if anyone was in there or not.
I saw somebody slowdown to a stop next to it, then speed off either checking on the driver or just rubbernecking.

Anybody know whether or not that was an accident?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
This happened on a busy freeway,so most people would consider it Safer and Smarter to just call 911,but if this happened on a surface street,i'm sure most people would stop and check if the person is ok.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,447 times
When I was involved in an accident as a young boy, my mother's car spun and hit the center divider. About a dozen or so people stopped -- one of them was on his way to a Dodgers game but stopped nevertheless. Another gave us blankets and consoled us. This was in 1980 or so.

Good luck these days -- the most you'll probably get today is a middle finger along with a "Thanks for wrecking and making me almost spill my Starbucks you jerk!"

Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Good luck these days -- the most you'll probably get today is a middle finger along with a "Thanks for wrecking and making me almost spill my Starbucks you jerk!"
You are so right on this one. But its okay though. For every self centered "Me" oriented jerk who is incapable of understanding the basic meaning of helping their fellow man in need, there are others like us who WILL stop and help. There could have been children, babies, in the vehicle so stopping to help is ALWAYS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!

For you people who say "I dont want to get in the way" or "I dont want to put myself in danger" imagine that was you in the vehicle or your mother, or your child and no one stopped to help. How would you feel then? You can always pull over to the side of freeway where you are out of the way then go help. We've all been in LA traffic so you know that traffic comes to a complete standstill when things like this happen so it would be easy to get across the lanes to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles