Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times

Advertisements

Is this like the financial sector? What type of environment is down there where all the skyscrapers are? Is there nightlife/bars there?

Where do people go for nightlife and bars in L.A.? Do you see celebrities out partying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Is this like the financial sector? What type of environment is down there where all the skyscrapers are? Is there nightlife/bars there?

Where do people go for nightlife and bars in L.A.? Do you see celebrities out partying?
It used to be pretty sleepy. The Standard is fun- try the rooftop bar. Expensive but the view is fantastic. Ciudad has great food and live bands some weekends- they are at the NW corner of Figueroa and Fifth Sts. And the Weiland Brewery opened another branch under the Hastings Tower at 5th and Flower, though it's underground and not much to see, which is a drag. The restaurant/bar atop the Bonaventure has amazing views but, to me, the place is a little sleepy.

I forgot about Casey's on Olive, just south of Sixth Street. Irish Bar, sometimes has bands. I guess that would be the eastern edge of the Financial District.

I would hit the original Weiland in Little Tokyo (there's a great Cuban place next door), or Pete's Cafe at 4th and Main for a more energetic, active night out. The only 'downtown' celebrities I have ever seen have been at MOCA (Tom Hanks and his wife, Kirstie Alley). Al Gore and Jon Bon Jovi were at Cal Plaza a couple of years ago (they have a free summer concert series there every year). You probably need to hit the Ivy or the Viper Room (westwide) for your celebrity fix IMHO.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Celebrities do NOT hang in Downtown. If there is an event (usually at Staples Center), they'll be there long enough to make an appearance. The tall buildings are for show. Downtown is not the exciting hub of L.A. That would be the Westside. If you are a bargain hunter, you'll like shopping there, but natives don't stay there at night. Too sketchy.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
To add to what CESpeed said, Celebrities are only found in downtown during award shows at The Shrine, The Staples Center or at the Nokia Theatre. You might also see them during film shootings. There's a couple of bars and clubs in downtown: Vertigo's, 740, TaToU and others. Once L.A. Live is built downtown will have a very different enviornment throughout the day and night. The many residential buildings that are being built will bring a different vibe.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
To add to what CESpeed said, Celebrities are only found in downtown during award shows at The Shrine, The Staples Center or at the Nokia Theatre. You might also see them during film shootings. There's a couple of bars and clubs in downtown: Vertigo's, 740, TaToU and others. Once L.A. Live is built downtown will have a very different enviornment throughout the day and night. The many residential buildings that are being built will bring a different vibe.
I'm a local, in that I work there and live closeby. I am out late at night there two or three times a month.

And don't forget Laker games- always some celebrities out there.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Celebrities do NOT hang in Downtown. If there is an event (usually at Staples Center), they'll be there long enough to make an appearance. The tall buildings are for show. Downtown is not the exciting hub of L.A. That would be the Westside. If you are a bargain hunter, you'll like shopping there, but natives don't stay there at night. Too sketchy.

So downtown is not the exciting hub...the Westside is... where is the Westside? what areas are there, and what is there to do?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Did you not read anybody else's post?

Downtown is exciting but not where everything happens. The Westside is probably considered everything west of La Brea Blvd. Melrose, Santa Monica Blvd, the Sunset Strip are all located in west Los Angeles. Westwood, Brentwood and Century city are all located in the city of Los Angeles just the west portion of it. Comedy clubs, dance clubs, bars, Theatres, shopping centers, and everything you could want can be found in West L.A. and all of Los Angeles as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
there is plenty to do in downtown!!! you guys are just not in the know. golden gopher on 8th. 7grand at 7th and grand. library bar. the broadway bar next to the orpheum. the veranda at the fig. charlie o's on 5th and spring. bar 107 at 4th and main. jaliscos. j lounge. dam so much more. some celebs, but theyd be at the standard, the edison or element, but not like hollywood status. the more low key ones. for celebs (yacking) go to hollywood. there is so much to do at night in DT. dive bars. fufu bars. whiskey bars. gentlemens bars. suit bars. lots to do. if you are interested, just yelp the area. yelp dot com. as for the westside? please!!! first hollywood, then DT. then SaMO or Manhattan beach or other lil areas. but for the action its HLLYWD then DT. and while melrose and the strip are west of downtown, it is not the westside!!! you guys crack me up man.

i am a native, not part of the tourism board, a sagitario and enjoy watching the sun rise in downtown!

one thing i will say is missing in downtown are late night eateries. and im not counting the god awful pantry or the ihop on 8th and flower. thats when you can say DT has oficially arrived. late night eateries. a fred 62 typa place. or a pho house even.

so plenty of stuff to do, but nothing to eat after 11pm. altho a wokcano jus opened and is supposed to stay open till 2 am. not sure about kitchen service there.
just yelp it brotha.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Nobody "hangs" Downtown. Except tourists and transplants. That's why nothing is open late. Hanging Downtown is like riding the bus, nobody does it unless they have to.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
girl seriously, im telling you, I HANG DOWNTOWN! a lot. for a long time. and by choice. and i have a gang of friends that do likewise. its the LA that very few people know about. man what a blast it was. transplants aint privy to such hip night spots we knew back in the day. wharehouse parties. hotel parties. they will never understand what it was like back in the hey day of house. but now its turned around and aint so underground like before. there is a vibrant scene now. why is that so hard to believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles