Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM

597 posts, read 667,090 times

Advertisements

Over a year ago I posed the same question, but never took the trip. Now it's official - a 4 day, 3 night trip from Thursday Sept. 27 (get into LAX at 4 pm, welp rush hour) to Sunday Sept. 30 (leave at 4 pm) for my friend's birthday - 3 or 4 people in the group.

I've been to LA and Long Beach for business, but never just for fun. My trip-mates have never been to L.A.

This is a basic, fairly touristy trip to L.A which will involve (1) A trip to Amoeba records on Sunset in Hollywood (music geeks and collectors), (2) a trip to the beach (Manhattan, Venice or Santa Monica?); (3) a night or nights out in West Hollywood; (4) some driving in the hills and canyons; maybe the Getty Museum. I know downtown has been transformed since I was last in LA in the early 2000s, but we have no specific plans for downtown. I'm thinking that during our two full days (Friday and Saturday) one day will be Amoeba and the beach and the other day will be The Getty and driving around during the day before we go out at night. We simply don't have time to explore numerous and varied districts within the city (wish we did).

So, stay on the Westside/West Hollywood, by the airport (for ease of getting there Sunday I suppose), downtown? Someone not on City Data specifically said we should stay close to West Hollywood but not IN West Hollywood - within a square north of Beverly, south of Santa Monica, east of the 405 and west of Western (that looks like it includes West Hollywood) - as to be centrally located with relatively easy east-west and north-south access. Someone else narrowed it down further to Beverly and Fairfax and then expand out - again as to be centrally located.

We are LA neophytes so any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
I would suggest staying in Hollywood, since most of your interests are in the Hollywood/ West Hollywood area. Amoeba is
huge and if you're collectors you could spend a few hours in there. This wouid also be a good location if you want to go out
in WH and drive around the hills.

I would forget DTLA, it is overrated IMO.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I would suggest staying in Hollywood, since most of your interests are in the Hollywood/ West Hollywood area. Amoeba is
huge and if you're collectors you could spend a few hours in there. This wouid also be a good location if you want to go out
in WH and drive around the hills.

I would forget DTLA, it is overrated IMO.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks. I remember you were very helpful last year when I asked the same question.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:28 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I've stayed in West Hollywood two times. I think it was off Alta Vista & Sunset.
Walking distance to Hollywood Blvd.

I've also stayed in Silver Lake twice which was really nice

As far as beaches go I'm yet to really check out Manhattan beach. I went down there but couldn't find parking.

But Santa Monica will be very touristy as well Venice but Venice seems so much more laid back.

Just to piggy back off previous poster about DTLA. I have to admit I went there for the first time last summer & I wasn't crazy about the area. A lot of strange characters there and not sure I'd want to be there after dark. I only hit up a small area of DTLA but seems like it's one of the last places I'd worry about given how far out of the way it is and the traffic in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles