Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:11 PM

689 posts, read 2,580,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
This morning I was going up La Tuna Cyn. Rd behind a slow moving dump truck. I couldn't get around him. I finally ran out of patience and passed him using the bicycle lane that used to be for cars.
Man I hate the goverment in California.

No ire for the dump truck driver? I don't think the problem is the bike lane or the California government. The problem is your admitted lack of patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is ridiculous.

I also find these bike riders to be getting more brazen.

The OP passes a slow moving dump truck in the bike lane but the bike riders are more brazen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,923,539 times
Until you've crawled through Mar Vista on Venice Boulevard you haven't lived.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM

145 posts, read 104,284 times
So far the bicycle lane in my area hasn't caused me any problem. Given the number of cyclists (my uncle being one of them) in my area it is a necessary safety measure for me.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 PM

15,066 posts, read 10,083,448 times
Every area I have visited that has a bicycle lane seems to been a good decision. This past week I was in a few areas in Southern Maine and there were lots of families using the bicycle lanes. Safer, healthier, and at times quicker way to move around (single lane local roads). Safe enough for children to be included. Safer for those walking in the sidewalks as well.

Seems to me the issue is your patience.

You wouldn't drive on a sidewalk to get passed traffic, why do it on a bicycle lane?

Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,371,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Until you've crawled through Mar Vista on Venice Boulevard you haven't lived.
I got a $503 tow bill on Venice BLVD because of all things >>>> A BIKE PARADE!!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
No ire for the dump truck driver? I don't think the problem is the bike lane or the California government. The problem is your admitted lack of patience.

The OP passes a slow moving dump truck in the bike lane but the bike riders are more brazen?

I very rarely agree with Vega, and no I don't condone passing a dump truck and swerving into the bike lane, but I stand by what I say about brazen bike riders. See it almost everyday.

No, they're not really a good idea in urban areas.

Since you're in South Pasadena, just on Figueroa heading east from Highland Park on York Blvd one lane is taken away for a bike lane, you wouldn't know if you don't know the area, it is also right before you need to turn right to get onto the 110....just brilliant planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Every area I have visited that has a bicycle lane seems to been a good decision. This past week I was in a few areas in Southern Maine and there were lots of families using the bicycle lanes. Safer, healthier, and at times quicker way to move around (single lane local roads). Safe enough for children to be included. Safer for those walking in the sidewalks as well.

You wouldn't drive on a sidewalk to get passed traffic, why do it on a bicycle lane?
Why do people like you post on the LA boards when you don't even live in CA? You live in Jersey...LOL.

I am sure Southern Maine is lovely, but comparing riding bikes there to the second largest city in the country is ridiculous.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,501,438 times
Quote:

+1

Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,315,288 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
+1
+1 is right ... maybe the value of the comparison is in the image of families on bikes enjoying simplistic venues ... contrasted with the oppressive LA congestion and pace?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 AM

8,322 posts, read 6,412,530 times
I know people from all over the US read City Data but in southern Calif. it's over 100 often, cars are everywhere at all times, most trips are 10 miles or more even to a store, and people work, they don't have time for bicycle to commute.
Democrats hate cars, they have a ridiculous dream of getting people out of their cars and one way to do this is to make taking your car more inconvenient. Hence taking away car lanes with bicycle lanes which no one uses. Let me emphasize no on uses.
We pay for the roads and now this horrible inefficiency, waste of precious roadways , waste of taxpayer money, but the Democrats force their utopian dream on us no matter if it will never work.
People ain't riding bicycles. Old people and rich people ain't riding bicycles. No one uses these bicycle lanes.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,181,832 times
I'm a cyclist, but also understand the need for efficient roads. One thing to call out is that fact people are saying 'no one uses the bike lanes'. Part of the reason for this is the strong 'autos only' mentality in LA. This is part of the culture of LA and cyclists don't feel safe even with bike lanes. Eventually a critical mass will be reached and people will begin using bike lanes in higher numbers. The addition of these bike lanes will foster a cultural change to a more bike friendly city, it's just going to take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles