Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all! If any one has a suggestion, please comment! It doesn't seem like it will happen due to finances on a teacher's pension, but when I retire next year I'd love to live closer to my daughter (So I don't miss out, as she tells me). I've looked at areas around Long Beach, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, looked at Redlands, Yucaipa, Palm Springs, Temecula. In my ever widening search we recently checked out Riverside since I am just looking for a small bungalow with a private yard to garden, ($400K or less) but the heat & the 2 hour drive in traffic on a weekend made us realize we wouldn't see each other very often since neither of us would want to be stuck in that. Looks like they will most likely stay in Westchester. Her in-laws suggested to start looking in Inglewood, but don't want to have to worry about safety, living alone.
When I sell my Bay Area home & split the equity with my ex, I won't have to worry about a down payment, just concerned about quality of life. I do not want a condo or apartment, since gardening in my passion. Sacr

My alternative is to move out of state to southern Oregon, an area I know well & love & it is so much more affordable with an airport where I can get to LA in 2 hours. Sad to have to move so far away & out of CA, but
this seems to be the reality. Sacramento area will be my last CA search up here. Once out of the Bay Area, I cannot afford to return, prices are crazy & So Cal doesn't seem to much better. So, just wondering if there is any area I might have overlooked before I abandon the idea of living close to my one & only.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
No nice houses or neighborhoods in that price range. Not within an hour with traffic.

Do the smart thing and move to Corona. An hour in no traffic. In your price range. You owe it to your daughter.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
I think the in-laws may be right. I hear decent things about Inglewood these days, and the area seems to have a good upside. A realtor or people who know the area would probably be best to talk to. It's not my part of town, so I don't know specifics, but I wouldn't write the whole area off.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I think Inglewood is where the new Rams/Chargers football stadium is being built. Housing costs will probably rise, and area should improve, more retail, etc. I’d check out the pros and cons there before moving because having a massive stadium complex there could be a plus or a minus, depending on how you look at it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
The only area I can think of that still might have tiny houses in that price range would be Long Beach and Lakewood, particularly the area around Bixby Knolls.

There is certainly prices in that range in Carson and Long Beach on the border of those two cities, south of the 405.

It will be up to you to determine if that area is safe enough. It has sketchy elements. But I think its nicer than the cheap parts of Inglewood. If you avoid rush hour, its about a 30 minute drive to Westchester.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Simi? https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-99248?view=qv

Old 08-20-2018, 11:19 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
No nice houses or neighborhoods in that price range. Not within an hour with traffic.

Do the smart thing and move to Corona. An hour in no traffic. In your price range. You owe it to your daughter.

^^^ This is crap. The OP doesn't owe anything to her daughter. It always amazes me how some people think that just because grandchildren are involved, the grandparents need to be considered first and foremost. The OP's daughter could very well move out of the area she's in herself eventually and then where does that leave you, OP? Are you going to follow your daughter to every place she goes?
OP, move to an area YOU are going to feel comfortable being in. You owe it to YOURSELF to make sure that your retirement, the one you earned, is one you're happy and content with. Traveling goes both ways and a 2-hour plane ride is a short one these days. Good luck

Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
I think if you are considering anything in the Inland Empire, my question to you would be this...at what times will you be driving to your daughter's place? If you have to drive during rush hour (6:30-9am and 1:30-7pm weekdays) then you will tire of the traffic quickly. If you can work around those hours, then perhaps it can work. A Toll Roads Fastrak transponder will help you get in and out of the IE.

I would say the Sacramento area is a good alternative. Cheap flights to LAX on a regular schedule.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindcc1 View Post
Hi all! If any one has a suggestion, please comment! It doesn't seem like it will happen due to finances on a teacher's pension, but when I retire next year I'd love to live closer to my daughter (So I don't miss out, as she tells me). I've looked at areas around Long Beach, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, looked at Redlands, Yucaipa, Palm Springs, Temecula. In my ever widening search we recently checked out Riverside since I am just looking for a small bungalow with a private yard to garden, ($400K or less) but the heat & the 2 hour drive in traffic on a weekend made us realize we wouldn't see each other very often since neither of us would want to be stuck in that. Looks like they will most likely stay in Westchester. Her in-laws suggested to start looking in Inglewood, but don't want to have to worry about safety, living alone.
When I sell my Bay Area home & split the equity with my ex, I won't have to worry about a down payment, just concerned about quality of life. I do not want a condo or apartment, since gardening in my passion. Sacr

My alternative is to move out of state to southern Oregon, an area I know well & love & it is so much more affordable with an airport where I can get to LA in 2 hours. Sad to have to move so far away & out of CA, but
this seems to be the reality. Sacramento area will be my last CA search up here. Once out of the Bay Area, I cannot afford to return, prices are crazy & So Cal doesn't seem to much better. So, just wondering if there is any area I might have overlooked before I abandon the idea of living close to my one & only.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
If you move to where you have to fly, move to the area you like best. If OR then move there, being in CA does not put you any closer in reality.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 50,956 times
I'd personally consider both Long Beach and Inglewood if you want to be really close. Some neighborhoods are nicer than others. You're probably not going to see the gains in Oregon that you will see here.. it may be too late to get a deal in Ingelwood. Its not like you have to worry about school districts anymore, that is what would keep me out of Long Beach or Inglewood. Lots of other options to the south and east as you open up your radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles