Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:40 PM

77 posts, read 82,096 times

Advertisements

Some time ago I just started telecommuting, regardless of my vague work policy. I didn't really ask for permission - I just started doing it more and more. Now I work from home more often than the office. I got some, and still get some flak for it, but I've already told my supervisor I'd leave the company if the expectation if for me to be onsite regularly, when I can do 95% of my work from home.

This goes for my current and all jobs in the future that are a commute. Life is too short to waste it on the freeways, especially in LA. Or move to less desirable locations - no thanks.

I'm about as millennial as it gets when it comes to work flexibility and freedom, but I back it up with results. So you'll find me on the freeway less than most of these other commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 AM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There also wasn’t a additional 8/10 million more people in California in the 90s. We added a enormous amount of people WITHOUT any additional infrastructure expansion. We added housing. AFAIK most of our freeways have not been widened enough to accommodate the additional people/cars. I dion5vsee any new freeways being built. By the time they get a expansion done it’s pretty much obsolete
My average commute home is 2.5 hours. It takes anywhere from 60 to 75/80 minutes to get from Westwood to DTLA depending upon how bad traffic is.
This is the correct reason

Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext88 View Post
Some time ago I just started telecommuting, regardless of my vague work policy. I didn't really ask for permission - I just started doing it more and more. Now I work from home more often than the office. I got some, and still get some flak for it, but I've already told my supervisor I'd leave the company if the expectation if for me to be onsite regularly, when I can do 95% of my work from home.

This goes for my current and all jobs in the future that are a commute. Life is too short to waste it on the freeways, especially in LA. Or move to less desirable locations - no thanks.

I'm about as millennial as it gets when it comes to work flexibility and freedom, but I back it up with results. So you'll find me on the freeway less than most of these other commuters.
Quote of the year on commuting.

It's not worth it.

Cheers.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The developers run this city, thanks to a city government rife with complacency and corruption.
Oh -- you expect actual, you know, competency from public sector employees with essentially lifetime job security, gold plated pensions & Cadillac health care?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Plus LA as we know is a hotbed for illegals which furthur adds to the traffic mess.
Wait. There are illegals in LA???

Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM

508 posts, read 616,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I keep hearing about all of these people leaving California, but it certainly doesn't seem like it. Plus LA as we know is a hotbed for illegals which furthur adds to the traffic mess.
Once in a while I will hear about an old timer setting up in Nevada or a couple moving to Texas, but the truth of the matter is, regardless of lower prices for housing, once you've been in LA a good while, many other States and cities seem uninhabitable.

Also, once upon a time, it was REALLY difficult to get a vehicle, especially a newer model. Now they practically throw them off the lot.
I can vouch for this. I moved from Alabama almost two years ago. I have also lived in Florida, Georgia and New Jersey. As much as I'd love a state with cheaper cost of living, I cannot fathom leaving California or even the West Coast in general. Maybe for Dubai? Haha.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 PM

508 posts, read 616,435 times
A lot of the traffic issues are from the horrible road engineering/design(s). If the trains were more efficient and had other routes more people would stay off of the road.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Oh -- you expect actual, you know, competency from public sector employees with essentially lifetime job security, gold plated pensions & Cadillac health care?
Yes, but alas, great leaders such as Octavian, Charlemagne, Boudicca etc. are in limited numbers these days, though Italy recently elected one their leader.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:08 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Undocumented immigrants use the freeways too.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM

335 posts, read 356,693 times
I normally take the expo line and have been pretty naive to LA traffic for the past year and a half. Last night, I had a dinner/happy hour so I figured I’d drive to work and then traffic would be light once I left dinner.

At 8:45pm I was dead stopped on the 405 heading home. It’s gotten much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles