Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:18 PM

14,206 posts, read 11,474,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Are you that anti social that you don't have friends, or relatives that could pitch in and help on the day the vehicles can not be driven.
Apparently so. We have exactly one relative in California, and she is 80 years old and doesn't drive much any more. No, we don't have the kind of friends you have in mind. Do many people have nearby friends who have the time and are willing to drive an hour out of their way in the morning and again in the afternoon on a regular basis, just to "help out"? Much less three such friends, which is what we would need?

Quote:
Ever heard of taxi, or uber? Remarkable new inventions.
Yes, indeed. A round-trip Uber once a week to where they need to go would cost approximately $100 for my husband, $50 for one child and $40 for the other. That's $760 per month. And as I'm sure you've noticed, if everyone who can't drive on a certain day of the week takes an Uber that day, the traffic will diminish precisely not at all.

Quote:
You don't have school buses where you live?
School buses do not take students to college, nor to private schools.

Quote:
Do you live in Antarctica or the north pole?
Round about this time of year, I start to wish I did!

Last edited by saibot; 09-04-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,413,544 times
LOL

I love how the answer to traffic congestion is to call up a car to pick you up. Do Ubers have their own streets?

I guess we won't have any extra cars/Ubers on the road if an EXTRA million people are calling them once a week, every week.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM

26,598 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Ever heard of taxi, or uber?
Uber and Lyft have added to the traffic problem.

The explosive growth of Uber and Lyft has created a new traffic problem for major U.S. cities and ride-sharing options such as UberPool and Lyft Line are exacerbating the issue by appealing directly to customers who would otherwise have taken transit, walked, biked or not used a ride-hailing service at all, according to a new study.

A new study says services like UberPool are making traffic worse

The Ride-Hailing Effect: More Cars, More Trips, More Miles: https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-miles/542592/

Old 09-04-2018, 05:43 PM

14,206 posts, read 11,474,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Uber and Lyft have added to the traffic problem.

The explosive growth of Uber and Lyft has created a new traffic problem for major U.S. cities and ride-sharing options such as UberPool and Lyft Line are exacerbating the issue by appealing directly to customers who would otherwise have taken transit, walked, biked or not used a ride-hailing service at all, according to a new study.

A new study says services like UberPool are making traffic worse

The Ride-Hailing Effect: More Cars, More Trips, More Miles: https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-miles/542592/
Well, those Uber cars will need their day-off stickers too. So on every weekday, when 20% of car owners can't use their cars, 20% of Uber drivers won't be able to use theirs either. That will get interesting.

Or do Uber drivers get a pass because driving is their livelihood? Then I foresee a vast increase in the number of people signing up as drivers...

Old 09-04-2018, 09:22 PM

8,436 posts, read 10,856,044 times
It may interest all of you who are against this program, that there isn't one problem with it's implementation that I haven't thought of.
No matter what you throw out there, I have an answer for it.
Uber, as well as taxis would be exempt.
As for others suddenly becoming uber drivers, you do understand this plan would have safeguards against such action don't you?
There is nothing, I repeat, nothing that has not been covered in this program.

I spent weeks drawing up this proposal, and There would be no way anyone registering a vehicle in California(except those exempted) would have any options, but to go along with the program.
The only other solution would be to move out of state, or surrender your vehicles , because you would not be issued a new registration without proof that the sticker has been assigned to your vehicle.

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned how this program would be enforced.
I took an idea from the state I lived in many years ago.
In Massachusetts, they had(perhaps they still do,) an agency in the state called "the Registry of motor vehicles"
Similar to California's dmv.
Difference is, the registry has uniformed officers that patrol the state, looking for vehicles that are not complying with the driving, and vehicle equipment rules of Massachusetts.
They , to my knowledge, do nothing but patrol through out the state, other than their regular clerical in their offices.
Driving a vehicle there with a loud exhaust system is reason to be pulled over, and issued a fix it ticket.
Also driving without a current vehicle inspection sticker in the windshield is strictly enforced.
I believe it is still that way in Massachusetts.

Part of this sticker proposal would be much like the registry in Massachusetts in the fact that uniformed officers through out the state would be there to enforce the sticker mandate.
The funding for this entire program would come from the general fund,as well as fees from people who think they can skirt the law. (the fines would be stiff) so no additional taxes would occur.
The general fund is more often known as a surplus, which the state uses for different purposes.

I have worked long, and hard on this proposal, and will see it to it's conclusion.
Presently with the mid term elections coming up, I will not be pursuing it.
Once the elections are behind us, I am ready to meet with assembly members again, to see if we can move forward on this proposal.

Bob.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 PM

13,572 posts, read 15,510,252 times
Quote:
It may interest all of you who are against this program, that there isn't one problem with it's implementation that I haven't thought of.
What about trampling our fundamental rights?

" No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Constitution for the United States - We the People

Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What about trampling our fundamental rights?

" No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Constitution for the United States - We the People
You best check the state bylaws as it relates to driving.
DRIVING IS NOT A RIGHT, IT IS A PRIVILEGE, issued by the state, and can be revoked at any time for any reason the state feels is adequate.

Thought every one knew that.

If I am not mistaken, the driver's manual issued by the DMV states that it is a privilege.
It has never been a right guaranteed by any constitution, federal, or state.
Bob.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,860,819 times
I totally agree something must be done, but from looking at these comments I can see why nothing has been done, and why it'll be so hard to do anything to ease the problem at all people can be all talk with no solution I applaud you for taking the time to devise a system that could potentially make things better.

Just statiscally speaking americans have more cars per capita than any other country, and LA has the highest urban population density of any city in the country so just looking at statistics even if we had more public transportation like NYC or Chicago we would still have more traffic than any other city because we have more people living closer to each other than anywhere else in the US.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:28 AM

13,572 posts, read 15,510,252 times
Quote:
You best check the state bylaws as it relates to driving.
DRIVING IS NOT A RIGHT, IT IS A PRIVILEGE, issued by the state, and can be revoked at any time for any reason the state feels is adequate.

Thought every one knew that.

If I am not mistaken, the driver's manual issued by the DMV states that it is a privilege.
It has never been a right guaranteed by any constitution, federal, or state.
Bob.

Potable water isn't specifically mentioned in the Constitution either, so does that mean California can start only allowing that on certain days too?

Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Potable water isn't specifically mentioned in the Constitution either, so does that mean California can start only allowing that on certain days too?
The states have for many, many years revoked, or suspended people's drivers license for one reason of another, especially dui.
Driving is not a constitutional right, or privilege.
It is mandated by the states, and they are the ones that administer driving privileges.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the constitution.

You might want to check out the California DMV web site, and see what the state says about driving.
In every state it is a privilege, not a right.

As for water if you have been around Los Angeles for the past four years, you would know that the city of Los Angeles does indeed limit the use of outside watering to two days a week.
On"certain days" we are allowed to water our lawns, according to our address.

I suspect you are like all the others posting in this thread, so I have a question for you.
Why are you so set against this proposal, especially when it will more than likely free up valuable freeway space?

Let's here it.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles