Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Universal Studios is a theme park and movie studio. If you're really into movies, you can take a studio tour (or of most of the other studios in the area if you want). Hollywood is a big tourist trap, but does have historical value to it, though many studios have relocated. You may want to prioritize and get back to this thread, because I feel like LA has almost too much to do and I've been trying hard to make up for lost time having wasted so much time of my life in dead-end cities in the bowels of America. If you want a bus tour, there are a few operating out of Hollywood, namely Starline, which I see frequently go by my neighborhood.

I would also recommend you push your operator for a better location. I would disagree with others in that there's nothing to see downtown. I think if you explore downtown on foot you'll find a lot of interesting sights, especially the older parts (such as along Broadway) and the historic architecture.
When someone only has a couple of days here I wouldn't waste them on DTLA. I love LA and have lived here most of my life now, but it's never going to be NYC or Chicago.

If you only have 2 days in LA you see things like the Pacific Ocean, the Hollywood Hills, etc.

If you had 10 days or so here you can go downtown, not when you have 2 or 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I would not stay in Santa Monica. Redondo Beach - Hermosa Beach would be your best bet. We have friends who come out here from Arkansas and they stay in Hermosa Beach at a Holiday Inn Express. They rent a car and go up to Hollywood and drive around.

I am more familiar with Redondo Beach as I lived there for over 30 yrs before moving to where we are now. I hope I helped a little bit.
What's wrong with Santa Monica?

Again, when you only have a couple of days and after driving across the country you don't want to be doing more driving.

Santa Monica gives you close proximity to LA and at the same time the feel of Southern CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
When someone only has a couple of days here I wouldn't waste them on DTLA. I love LA and have lived here most of my life now, but it's never going to be NYC or Chicago.

If you only have 2 days in LA you see things like the Pacific Ocean, the Hollywood Hills, etc.

If you had 10 days or so here you can go downtown, not when you have 2 or 3 days.

I think it depends on the person and what their interests are. If it were me, I'd go downtown because it would interest me. The OP should at least look into sights and decide for him/herself, but I don't think the area should be entirely overlooked.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I think it depends on the person and what their interests are. If it were me, I'd go downtown because it would interest me. The OP should at least look into sights and decide for him/herself, but I don't think the area should be entirely overlooked.
That's true about their interests, but most people don't come here just to look at buildings.

LA isn't Paris. when you have only a couple of days most people want to see what an area is known for.

It's not DTLA.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:40 PM

126 posts, read 117,063 times
DTLA is a hotspot for bars and restaurants, but as far as general tourist sites there are better destinations.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huja View Post
DTLA is a hotspot for bars and restaurants, but as far as general tourist sites there are better destinations.

Yes, that's true. But there are great bars and restaurants all over, with better scenery to look at and easier access.

If you're a tourist do you want to sit out and look at bank buildings on Wilshire, or be on the Sunset Strip or PCH?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:53 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Why is someone who lives in Northern Virginia weighing in?

LA public transit has improved greatly over the last decade, you can take the various lines and go from places like Santa Monica to Pasadena without a car.

No, it's not NYC or DC in regards to mass transit. But you don't even live here.

Redondo Beach isn't really a great location if you want to do things in LA, as one poster suggested Santa Monica would be better in regards to proximity for sightseeing.

And unless the OP comes back and is more specific on what they want to see and do it's hard to advise where to stay.

People move around and know more than one place "seain_dublin".

Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
People move around and know more than one place "seain_dublin".

Yes, they do.

But your comments are not true. Even if you have lived in LA, the mass transit system(especially the various lines) have increased greatly in the last decade.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenZ View Post
Thanks all for your responses. This is much appreciated. To be honest: We're not really sure what to go and see in the limited time we have. And I guess by the time we get to LA, we'll be pretty exhausted from the tour we already have behind us. I think we'll try to avoid the tourist trap called "Universal Studios". So it might be that we just want to sit in a bus being driven around the 'famous places', avoiding doing the driving ourselves in a busy and -for us- unknown city. But I would hate to book such a tour, and then finding out it will take forever to get to the start of the tour in the first place. We've already asked our tour operator for alternative hotel locations. From your kind responses and suggestions, it seems that Hollywood or Santa Monica may be better places to start our endeavors.

Thanks again!
I live in Redondo and love it, but I'll openly admit that as a jump-off point for exploring LA, it's a bit lacking. It's a laid-back beach community, not much of a metropolitan vibe, and kinda far from the freeways and public transport.

It really depends on what you're looking for. However, Hollywood will place you close to the Starline Tours hop-on/hop-off buses - haven't used them myself, but heard good feedback. Or you can go metro to downtown (Grand Central Market for ethnic food from around the world, Disney Concert hall if Frank Gehry is your thing, Chinatown etc.) - or metro to Santa Monica for the beach.

Hollywood also places you close to Mulholland Drive which I have taken a lot of visitors on - great vistas of the city, the valley, the Hollywood sign etc. Some of the good museums - LACMA and the La Brea tar pits - are within easy reach as well.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:

What's wrong with Santa Monica?

Again, when you only have a couple of days and after driving across the country you don't want to be doing more driving.

Santa Monica gives you close proximity to LA and at the same time the feel of Southern CA.

Nothing wrong with Santa Monica but I would prefer Redondo Beach - Hermosa as they have a lot of nice places that are not too expensive to stay in. I just mentioned our friends visit from Arkansas - stay in Hermosa Beacb and drive up to Hollywood. Just take Pacific Coast Highway up or grab the 405.

I know the area in Redondo Beach- Hermosa- Manhattan Bch along PCH...only reason why I said what I said.

What's wrong with Redondo Beach? (hands in the air - shoulders shrugging)

Old 09-08-2018, 10:40 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
What's wrong with Redondo Beach? (hands in the air - shoulders shrugging)
Nothing wrong with Redondo Beach, it's a great place. The marina is awesome - barking sea lions, falling asleep listening to the bell buoy, Naja's Place with 80+ beers on tap and a band that's so enthusiastic you overlook it's kinda not very good. But as a jumping-off point for exploring Los Angeles proper, it IS a bit out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles