Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:20 PM

37 posts, read 110,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
When taking a left turn with lots of oncoming traffic, I do that whole positioning yourself in the middle of the intersection thing. Waiting for the light to turn yellow so I can squeeze by.

But I always wondered if that was completely legal? Trying not to lose my license so I'm actually interested in the rules of the road now...
I'm not 100% if it is the same in all states, but in NJ I was in an accident a couple years ago where I was trying to make a left. Someone coming the other way may or may not have run the light (it was debatable in his opinion, but some nice people stopped to support me)...anyhow, even though we were both 'in the intersection after the light had turned red', the accident was deemed his fault because I was already 'committed to the intersection'.

So, long-winded explanation aside, once you are 'committed', I think you are fine.

--Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Yes, it is legal. If one is in the intersection when the light turns red, one can legally proceed whether they're going straight or turning. Just proceed with caution to ensure that oncoming traffic does, indeed, stop.

There are two types of left turn signals at major intersections in LA. One is basically a G-Y-R, all arrows, signal for you and for those turning left from the opposite direction. You must stop when the arrow turns red. The other is a Green arrow changing to a Yellow then Red light (not arrow). In this case the the left turn has a green arrow but not a red one. You have right of way when the arrow is green, but must wait until it is clear when the oncoming traffic also has a green. Wow, is that confusing or what? One of those things that is easier to do than to explain.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:59 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
most people who drive here wait at least 2 seconds after the light is green to start going through the intersection.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
i really don't understand the people who say that one doesn't NEED a car in LA. sure, you can make do without one if absolutely necessary, but it certainly isn't ideal, and doesn't make for a good quality of life here. to me, it's like saying that people don't need to eat every day. sure, you aren't going to starve to death if you skip a meal or two every other day, and it might even have some short-term benefit, but do you really want to walk around hungry all the time? it seems like really disingenuous "advice" to me.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i really don't understand the people who say that one doesn't NEED a car in LA. sure, you can make do without one if absolutely necessary, but it certainly isn't ideal, and doesn't make for a good quality of life here. to me, it's like saying that people don't need to eat every day. sure, you aren't going to starve to death if you skip a meal or two every other day, and it might even have some short-term benefit, but do you really want to walk around hungry all the time? it seems like really disingenuous "advice" to me.
Agreed. I didn't have a car when I first came and it was TORTURE trying to get from point A to point B. Nothing is "walkable" here.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
It all really depends on where you live. I take the Metro to work almost everyday. The Grocery store, bank, post office and several restaurants are walking distance away from my house. Although I do agree, that a car would make your life much easier.

I am not going to contradict anybodys posts here, because its good to get different kinds of feedback from different users when looking for advice.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,655 times
I have noticed that the L.A. streets have alot in common with the ones back in Indiana...huge potholes (though not nearly as bad in LA), The lack of having a left green arrow seems to dominate the streets of the U.S., not just L.A. But one thing I noticed is that most LA drivers GO when the light turns green. In the midwest people sit and wait for different shades of green.

Also, I LOVE not having to have a car anymore. No more $250. car payment, no more $110. insurance, no more pay to park, no more overpriced gas. I save about $600. a month, but pay $62. for pub trans. Still I can pay $1000. for an apartment and without the car burden I come out pretty even to my old midwest setup. It's all the same pretty much, but better weather. One thing will cost way more, but then other things will be much cheaper so really it seems to even out for us. Just my 2 cent.

Oh yeah, I have had a problem staying away from all these killer fast food joints. Somehow I have managed not to turn into a blimp...for now.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post

Also, I LOVE not having to have a car anymore. No more $250. car payment, no more $110. insurance, no more pay to park, no more overpriced gas. I save about $600. a month, but pay $62. for pub trans. Still I can pay $1000. for an apartment and without the car burden I come out pretty even to my old midwest setup. It's all the same pretty much, but better weather. One thing will cost way more, but then other things will be much cheaper so really it seems to even out for us. Just my 2 cent.

Oh yeah, I have had a problem staying away from all these killer fast food joints. Somehow I have managed not to turn into a blimp...for now.
Yeah, that is cool that you got rid of your car. I support the idea that a car isn't always necessary in LA. I live in a big metro area and wish that I didn't have to have a car. The main reason why I own one is because I am a rock musician that has guitars and amps to haul around. Last weekend I saw some people riding their bikes around ( old bikes), and I just sensed that the bikes were their transportation not excercise machines. I looked at them in envy. They are easily saving themselves about $5000 a year by not owning a car. A person can then put that money into a nicer apartment.

Big metro areas always have car rentals by the day etc if one needs to go to an out of the way place or go for a weekend country drive. Zipcars in San Francisco come to mind.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 AM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
Any more advice you forumers have??
what have you learned since your move here?
what would you advise to newcomers?

*this really proves that people in the Los Angeles forum don't really know much about the city

*please respond if you actually live in Los Angeles City.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM

52 posts, read 206,575 times
I'll chime in...I moved to LA for grad school. Live in the USC area, in one of its better parts (i.e. lots of students). Been here for almost a year and have yet to experience or witness a crime, but I stick to brightly lit areas, and never walk for more than a block or two, if I have to walk at night. And I NEVER walk when it's past midnight. However there's probably an average of one "crime alert" per week sent out by USC campus police, for crimes that students report to them (mostly muggings). And there were two shootings that I know of around my immediate vicinity (spillover gang activity).

I don't have a car. My S.O. takes the bus to work (30-50 mins each way depending on traffic). It's perfectly doable if you have a structured schedule on weekdays, and obviously if your area is well served by public transport. As for weekend buses, if you are VERY patient and have time to burn, I guess you won't mind taking them. We have so far taken the bus/rail to Alhambra, Beverly Center, Universal Studios, Hollywood, Koreatown Chinatown/downtown and Old Town Pasadena. But usually when we want to have a good time we'll just rent a car for the weekend (Enterprise and Midway are good). We'll probably bite the bullet and buy a car in a few months.

I personally would still prefer to live in NYC given the choice, but LA is great and has A LOT to offer. But if you're from suburban or rural Midwest (say) and are used to leaving your house unlocked and your car key on your dashboard, you will probably hate it.

Most important advice: When in Rome....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles