U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM

705 posts, read 3,155,183 times

Advertisements

The purpose of this thread is to provide advice to those who are planning to move to Los Angeles. Please feel free to reply with more advice. The more advice this thread has, the more useful it will become.

FAQ
1.) Will I absolutely need a car?
-Not necessarily, Yes! public transportation does exists in Los Angeles. You can get to know the Metro routes and plan a trip using this link.
metro.net | Transit Services & Information

2.) How much money should I save before I make my move?
- Most of us on the L.A. forum would agree that you should have at least three months of rent covered before you make your move. Consider food, gas, bills and any other miscellaneous expenses as well. $7,000 dollars would be a good start.

3.) Is it hard to meet people?
-No, but are you shy? most people in Los Angeles are very talkative. Public Transport will allow you to meet many different individuals or just walking up and down the street. Also, most people won't come up to you and start a conversation with you if that's what you are expecting.

4.) Is L.A. driving really crazy?
-Angelenos are much more assertive when it comes to driving on the streets and freeways. Don't worry it's nothing that a person with a liscence can't handle. Be aware that most intersections do not have left turn signals so you will need make your left turn by positoning yourself near the middle of the intersection and turning as soon as you get the chance.

5.) Is the smog really noticeable?
-Unless you have really bad allergies then you will have a hard time getting used to the air. Other than that, the air isn't too bad, especially in the west side of Los Angeles.

6.) What are the traffic hours?
-Traffic hours vary on the different freeways.
101-7:30am-10am, 4pm-7pm
110-7:30am-10:30am, 4pm-7pm
10-7:30am-10am, 5pm-7pm
405-7:30am-10:30am, 3pm-7pm
118-8am-10am, 5pm-7pm
5-8am-10am, 5pm-7pm
(These times aren't extremely accurate but it's a good overview)

These are very basic questions of course, but if you have any more please go under 'search' and try to look up your question. More than likely your question has been answered numerous times.

Need housing? job?
Los Angeles CA Classifieds, jobs classifieds, apartments classifieds, rentals, housing, personals, for sale, community, events and more (http://www.listingsin.com/la/la-classifieds.aspx - broken link)
craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM

493 posts, read 544,879 times
Y'all really don't have left turn signals? YIKES

Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM

705 posts, read 3,155,183 times
Major cross streets do have left turn signals but others don't.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM

8,470 posts, read 7,894,244 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Be aware that most intersections do not have left turn signals so you will need make your left turn by positoning yourself near the middle of the intersection and turning as soon as you get the chance.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM

142 posts, read 725,026 times
Great thread... thanks!

I have one quick question. Parking meters: they're free after 8:00 P.M. everyday and on Sundays all day... is this correct?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM

142 posts, read 725,026 times
Any tips on avoiding parking fees? It seems that everywhere you go, you must pay parking... even Mel's Diner has valet! LOL

A "warning" for street parking: READ ALL the signs posted and follow what they say, unless you want a parking ticket. I once parked on meter parking. I put enough money for two hours, and I made sure I parked correctly within the space permitted... I came back, and I had a darn $45 parking ticket... there was a LITTLE yellow sign on the parking meter that said "taxis only... maximum five minutes" DARN IT! If it's a darn taxi zone only, why have a parking meter there? I know it was my mistake for not reading the little sign, but where I'm from, parking is ALWAYS free everywhere you go, and there's plenty of it. So PLEASE read the signs! :-) ... specially the little signs that are almost not there LOL

Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,243,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
3.) Is it hard to meet people?
-No, but are you shy? most people in Los Angeles are very talkative. Public Transport will allow you to meet many different individuals or just walking up and down the street. Also, most people won't come up to you and start a conversation with you if that's what you are expecting.
I have found the opposite compared to other cities and countries.
There is a definite guard up that has to be pierced before conversation flows from angelenos. Im a native by the way.

I would also add:

Rent Before You Buy.
Visit several times before you move to determine where would be the best place to live and get a feel for living here rather than vacationing.

Don't drive 3 hours to save $200 on rent per month. You will end up loosing the difference in time and gas.
You can go 80mph on the freeway, 70mph when a cop is around.
Don't pass a police officer on the freeway unless he is on the opposite side specifically going slower than traffic-60mph.
Red arrow means dont turn left, no red arrow means roll out and turn when safe. Green arrow, if present, gives you right of way.
Check out that neighborhood public school because you may need to go private & pay a tuition.
If someone is tailing you on the freeway, move to the right even if your going 80mph +.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,934,489 times
good sum surek.
as for a car, you dont need one, but if you dont have one then you must live by pub trans. of my friends that dont drive, most of them live by pub trans and work by pub trans as well. it all depends. besides enough other people have cars that they can always give you a lift.
meeting people is easy. if you are an enjoyable and funny person. some people just dont have the personality to talk to strangers. dont get offended is someone does not talk to you. but the closer to hollywood and its failed transplants the more attitude you will get. better to steer clear.
driving can be a bit crazy in LA but its better to take your time. and let other drivers be dum. its not worth gettin your blood pressure up. be a smart driver and always look ahead and around. it will make you a better driver once you can learn to avoid the stupid drivers.
meters are free after 6 pm. but some areas like pasadena or areas close to nightlife are only free after midnight. its best to always read the signs posted but also try to read the hours on the meter itself. peek thru the little window if its not too smudged and figure it out. it will save you money!
as for the left turn. some streets have turn arrows, most dont. this is how a lot of accidents happen, so unless you can turn without blocking traffic or causing an accident dont. and make sure to check for pedestrian and bicyclists.
i think thats it...

Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 PM

7,187 posts, read 20,542,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA

6.) What are the traffic hours?
-Traffic hours vary on the different freeways.
101-7:30am-10am, 4pm-7pm
110-7:30am-10:30am, 4pm-7pm
10-7:30am-10am, 5pm-7pm
405-7:30am-10:30am, 3pm-7pm
118-8am-10am, 5pm-7pm
5-8am-10am, 5pm-7pm
(These times aren't extremely accurate but it's a good overview)
I'm not certain of all of these freeways, but in general, most LA area freeways have awful traffic from 6:30 until 9:30 in the morning and 3 until 7 in the afternoon. The 405 actually extends these hours and sometimes weekend traffic is equally bad for longer periods of time. The worst commutes are into the Westside on the 10 or 405, the 5 into Downtown from the Orange County line, the 210 into Pasadena from the east, as well as the 101 into Hollywood and Downtown from the Valley. These are the morning commutes, so expect equally bad commutes on the return trip. There certainly others that are up there, but there are the worst in my experiences. Other freeways to avoid are the 105, 110, and 91 at the Riverside/Orange county line.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,385,254 times
When taking a left turn with lots of oncoming traffic, I do that whole positioning yourself in the middle of the intersection thing. Waiting for the light to turn yellow so I can squeeze by.

But I always wondered if that was completely legal? Trying not to lose my license so I'm actually interested in the rules of the road now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles