U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM

34 posts, read 127,784 times

Advertisements

Hello, there are autism schools in both sherman oaks and culver city... I am considering a move down from Sac area...

Would appreciate some advice on the two....I have read past posts...

Do these cities compare, would you live in one over the other and why...thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 AM

6,587 posts, read 16,781,741 times
Culver City and Sherman Oaks are both very nice, but Culver City has much better weather. In the summer, Sherman Oaks can get sizzling hot (90s are not uncommon), but Culver City is usually comfortable. For that alone, if I could, I'd live there instead.

We need more information to give you specific advice. Will you be renting or buying? What is your budget for housing?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,364,431 times
SandyCo is totally right regarding the weather. Sherman Oaks (and the entire valley) is usually about 10 degrees hotter than LA (over the hill). The average home price is probably $150,000 to $300,000 more than Culver City (could be even more than that). Rentals in Sherman Oaks will run you a few more hundred dollars per month as well.

Other than the weather, I much prefer Sherman Oaks over Culver City.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM

7,205 posts, read 21,006,053 times
Weather is definitely a factor, but ultimately, I would make the decision based on where you plan on working. Culver City is now lumped in with the rest of the Westside, so if you get a job in that area, Culver City will certainly afford you a much shorter commute. However, Sherman Oaks has 2 major freeways in the area and will give you easy access to just about anywhere in the Valley if that is where you will be working.

Besides that, Culver City has more seedier neighborhoods, but also more of an urban environment (walkable areas, restaurants, shops, etc.). If you're looking to buy, most homes in Culver City are not very big (think post war bungalows), but most of the neighborhoods are very well kept. Sherman Oaks has roomier homes. These tend to be south of Ventura Blvd. and very expensive. Sherman Oaks is actually filled with lots of fairly large condo buildings as well, so you'll still have options.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 127,784 times
Default Follow up

Hi again, and thank you for the replies.

We will be renting. An apartment, or home/duplex?

We have been through a Napa Summer, and a SAC summer, so hopefully a Sherman Oaks summer won't be any worse than SAC!

I read about the Sherman Oaks Galleria being destroyed in the North Ridge quake...

Is it safer in Culver City/Santa Monica...ie away from fault line...or just about the same risk, more or less. Thank you!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM

7,205 posts, read 21,006,053 times
when it comes to earthquakes, you're really not safe anywhere. the thing is, they happen so rarely and there are so many fault lines, there's really no way to tell which places are safer than others. personally, i'd rather live on a fault line than in hurricane or tornado country.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM

12,975 posts, read 32,364,431 times
The old Tujunga wash runs through Sherman Oaks along Moorpark street. This is the worst part of Sherman Oaks to live in due to the liquid faction that occurs during earthquakes. After the Northridge quake, many of the apartments along this route were red tagged. Culver City does not have areas like this that are subject to liquid faction.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:56 PM

636 posts, read 2,548,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mksearch View Post
Hello, there are autism schools in both sherman oaks and culver city... I am considering a move down from Sac area...

Would appreciate some advice on the two....I have read past posts...

Do these cities compare, would you live in one over the other and why...thank you!
The street traffic in Culver City is horrific.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 PM

111 posts, read 448,030 times
Its funny how people think the 90's are uncomfortable. In mid-july august its in the 90's by 11am in sac. Someone coming from sac (like myself) laugh at anything under 100 in the summer.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM

48 posts, read 179,664 times
I know the weather is slightly cooler in Culver City but Sherman Oaks tends to be cleaner and nicer. Culver City still has a "seedy" fee to it in many parts and the traffic is worse than SO. Sherman Oaks is very walkable if you live near Ventura Blvd. The big deciding factor is where you will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles