Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM

227 posts, read 821,638 times

Advertisements

(I apologize if I should not have posted this twice as I also posted in the SD forum since I am trying to decide between LA and SD)

Hello,

I am planning to move to Southern Cal in early 2009. Right now I'm living in Arlington, VA, a suburb of DC. There are a lot of things I like about the area especially its location. I live right on one of the main corridors of the area and can walk to many, many places. The area is very young, affluent, and since I am 25 and a college grad, this is great for me. There are a lot of bars here although I am not a big drinker, it is nice to have the nightlife. The reason I am leaving is because I have lived in the DC area most of my life and I'm tired of it, lack of beaches and too much of a workaholic atmosphere, and the terrible weather.

I am looking for a similar area in Southern California (SD or LA). I want an urban, upscale, young area where a lot of young college grads live. I'd also like to live within about 5 miles of the beach.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
(I apologize if I should not have posted this twice as I also posted in the SD forum since I am trying to decide between LA and SD)

Hello,

I am planning to move to Southern Cal in early 2009. Right now I'm living in Arlington, VA, a suburb of DC. There are a lot of things I like about the area especially its location. I live right on one of the main corridors of the area and can walk to many, many places. The area is very young, affluent, and since I am 25 and a college grad, this is great for me. There are a lot of bars here although I am not a big drinker, it is nice to have the nightlife. The reason I am leaving is because I have lived in the DC area most of my life and I'm tired of it, lack of beaches and too much of a workaholic atmosphere, and the terrible weather.

I am looking for a similar area in Southern California (SD or LA). I want an urban, upscale, young area where a lot of young college grads live. I'd also like to live within about 5 miles of the beach.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Are you a millionaire? If you want to live close to the beach and not in some ghetto You will need lots of money...

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM

227 posts, read 821,638 times
I am looking to rent. Currently my roommate and I pay $2600/mo. for a 2-br. I am looking for a 1-br, $1000-$1500 or so.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
I am looking to rent. Currently my roommate and I pay $2600/mo. for a 2-br. I am looking for a 1-br, $1000-$1500 or so.
You can get on the web and check real state web sites for the area you may want to move to. You can get allot of information that way.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave
You may want to look into West LA near Santa Monica Blvd, Palms, Playa Del Rey, and Culver City. The more desirable neighborhoods (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice, Marina Del Rey, etc.) are certainly going to cost you more than $1500 per month for a 1 br. If you could find a roomate though, for the price you pay in DC, you could certainly find a decent 2 br in one of the more desirable hoods that I mentioned.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,163 times
Check out westsiderentals.com, you can join the for a fee and browse rental listings.

2-3 years ago we found lots of 2 bedr apartments some fairly nicely finished in Santa Monica area walking distance from the beach around 2000-2600 a month. I don't know what the prices are now. Also, Santa Monica is a large area and it has its own 'divisions'. The area north of Wilshire especially around Montana street is more popular with yuppies, Montana st has lots of little boutiques, restaurants and other necessities. This area especially closer to the beach is the most expensive. The area to the south of Wilshire especially south of highway 10 is cheaper, it used to be 'up and coming' some years ago, but it's pretty nice and safe now. I like Ocean Park, it's a cute area close to the beach and surrounding Main st - another shopping/restaurant/bar scene area. You will definitely like Main st being from Arlington, there are lots of bars around there and you also don't need to climb up/down stairs to get to the beach. It used to be cheaper to rent, unless you are going into some of the more luxury upscale condo type of places.

Brentwood is another very popular place you will definitely like, but a bit further from the beach than Santa Monica. Venice is a bit sketchy in some areas, I don't know if you'd like it coming from Arlington. You may like Marina Del Ray. Check out all these areas by driving around there before you decide.

I wouldn't be discouraged by prices, look around, there are lots of small owner operated apartment buildings in these areas and you can find places in different price ranges and of different quality. Also, make sure you know what your commute it like, so try to stay closer to work/school whatever you'll be doing.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Belmont Shore/Bluff Park/Downtown Long Beach fit your affordability more and definitely have a good load of younger adults and upscale living

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
There was a thread about a month ago, one of the multipage ones to the effect of "does ANYONE like LA?!" and a young single professional posted about his wonderful life in one of the beach cities, riding his bike to the markets, partying in Long Beach and other places.... I think he was in Redondo Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles