U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 PM

13 posts, read 43,680 times

Advertisements

Which town u guys prefer in the case of lifestyle???
Also,can u give descriptions bout each town??

thanx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM

583 posts, read 1,194,827 times
I love Santa Monica, I am biased. Every time I visit Santa Barbara (I haven't lived there, so can't comment) it just seems more like a sleepy little town. Santa Monica seems more urban and hip to me.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM

7,187 posts, read 20,603,493 times
Santa Barbara is cleaner and probably all around "nicer," but Santa Monica is very much a part of LA and offers a big city lifestyle that can't be had in Santa Barbara while still offering the beach lifestyle even though its not as prominant. What's weird about Santa Monica and coastal LA in general (save the south bay), is that although the beach is so close, its not really a "beach city" like Santa Barbara, the south bay, and coastal Orange County. People don't really talk about going to the beach on the weekends, surfing, or going to watch the sunsets nearly as much as the other places I mentioned. Of course, a lot of people still do these things, I guess it's just that people lives don't revolve around the beach here like they do in other places. Maybe this is because LA is such a big place and has a lot to offer in its inland neighborhoods as well. I moved here from Orange County 3 years ago and still haven't figured it out yet.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,514,396 times
Santa Barbara is more of a beach town. Sleepier, if you think of the beach boys, 1960's california, the beach culture, Santa Barbara might come to mind.

Santa Monica is more entertainment driven, night life, theres much more variety. Faster paced. It's a littler quirkier.....like the fortune tellers on the promenade or the people selling bumper stickers. Much more independent...you hear about "the peoples republic of santa monica", the laws are way out there depending on your viewpoint.

Yeah, it is strange alot of beach cities arent really beach cities in LA. I think its just all the variety and options you have. People are too busy just to go surfing or going to the beach on the weekend.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 29,932 times
I was born and raised in SB and have lived in SM/Venice for quite a while. If you want a stunning beautiful town of 75K people and no traffic, and a slower pace SB is the place, if you want big city life traffic and more jobs pick SM .

If I had 10 Mil to go either place I would pick SB, If I had to slog through life with a job I would pick SM, sadly I have to work so I sold my house in both places and moved to Las Vegas

Old 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM

18,259 posts, read 20,939,987 times
Definitely agree with this opinion but must add:

If you need to work and don't have a lot of $$$ to buy and need to rent - move to SaMo

Santa B is expensive without a good job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Santa Barbara is more of a beach town. Sleepier, if you think of the beach boys, 1960's california, the beach culture, Santa Barbara might come to mind.

Santa Monica is more entertainment driven, night life, theres much more variety. Faster paced. It's a littler quirkier.....like the fortune tellers on the promenade or the people selling bumper stickers. Much more independent...you hear about "the peoples republic of santa monica", the laws are way out there depending on your viewpoint.

Yeah, it is strange alot of beach cities arent really beach cities in LA. I think its just all the variety and options you have. People are too busy just to go surfing or going to the beach on the weekend.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,791,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
SaMo is extremely liberal in their views of everything which I find amazing. I love their libreal feel.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 47,464 times
Shouldn't Malibu and Santa Barbara be a better comparison?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,117,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to SoCal View Post
Shouldn't Malibu and Santa Barbara be a better comparison?
Close but not quite, since many ppl can still commute from Malibu to SM, Century City or even Downtown for jobs. But SB is far up the coast & pretty isolated economically from the heart of SoCal entertainment/finance/tech/RE industries.

SB is great for independently wealthy ppl or retirees. I think a good comparison would be exclusive Rancho Santa Fe down in SD county.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM

17,443 posts, read 26,237,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
SaMo is extremely liberal in their views of everything which I find amazing. I love their libreal feel.
SM's not really that liberal beyond a surface level. It's not Berkeley. Just another well to do inner suburb - which admittedly has good schools, good libraries, decent public services, and a decent police department - ruled by a corrupt old boys' network. It's more Burbank than Berkeley.

The "People's Republic" appelation stems from an earlier era in Santa Monica, specifically in Ocean Park during the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles