Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 PM

35 posts, read 26,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Tipping perpetuates an unfair pay system. It's arbitrary, and studies have found the practice to be discriminatory.

What restaurants in LA have a no tipping policy? I'd like to give them my business. Found a few through searching but hoping to discover more.

That is the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. Tipping is neither Arbitrary nor discriminatory (unless of course you call being paid for doing actual WORK "arbitrary" or "discriminatory" in which case you need to be sent to Auschwitz to learn the meaning of "work").

If you do your job well you get paid more. If you do your job poorly and **** off the customers, you get paid less or you don't get paid at all. There's nothing arbitrary about that. So gee, how about turning that damn radio off, getting your butt in the kitchen, and chopping those damn onions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 02:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
Quote:
That's not a similar or competing site. Some of you guys need to brush up on the rules here.
What site competes with city data?

Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM

136 posts, read 140,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Jobs get paid a salary accordingly, based on skill set, effort, exclusivity, etc. Is serving a hard job? Probably, but it requires little to no skill, like digging a ditch, any bloke off the street can do it. Can bloke make cook up new tasty exciting dishes? Most likely not, that job pays more. Can any chump off the street engineer you a bridge that will meet all codes, and will be held responsible for it? No, that job pays accordingly.

It does have a skillset and is not bottom of the food chain ( ok ,so its a pun) in the industry. Bussers, hosts, food preppers and dish washers for example. Do you pay servers who have worked up through the other jobs and pay them the same? Servers can be responsible for making salads of all types and deserts. An expediter, wait staff, can be the one plating the food order, making it look nice and adding the side dishes. A portion of tips are spread to non-tip staff such as bussers and in some restaurants even an automatic 25% of their tip total to bartenders in some restaurants. By not tipping it affects not only the server but the other staff too.

Most cooks are not the ones coming up with new exciting dishes. Dishes usually are responsibility of the Executive Chef, or in a chain, the home office r&d . Pay wise, I have been told line chefs make about the same a wait staff after their tips. Chefs get more per hour, but do not get tips to supplement their income. There are some exceptions as some restaurants do take a percentage of tips and spread that out to the cook staff.

Engineers do make considerably more, over 100,000 a year for Caltrans. Police officers for LAPD make 65,000+ a year. I am not suggesting servers make the same wage.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
That's not a similar or competing site. Some of you guys need to brush up on the rules here.

I must be following the rules since my links havnt been deleted. Feel free to start following the rules so your dont.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 AM

98 posts, read 88,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
What site competes with city data?
Apparently Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2018 at 01:41 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
I must be following the rules since my links havnt been deleted. Feel free to start following the rules so your dont.
Since you don't know the rules, here ya go:

//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-13-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakertaylor28 View Post
That is the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. Tipping is neither Arbitrary nor discriminatory (unless of course you call being paid for doing actual WORK "arbitrary" or "discriminatory" in which case you need to be sent to Auschwitz to learn the meaning of "work").

If you do your job well you get paid more. If you do your job poorly and **** off the customers, you get paid less or you don't get paid at all. There's nothing arbitrary about that. So gee, how about turning that damn radio off, getting your butt in the kitchen, and chopping those damn onions?
There's a lot of people who refuse to believe discrimination takes place in society. Congrats on being a sheep, lil bud.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
Of course as I have already mentioned I do not get mine deleted often either and never for mentioning a site. I have to wonder why some say they have I also wonder why those same people keep bringing up minorities being mistreated. I know most of us tip based on service and not a person's color or nationality.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course as I have already mentioned I do not get mine deleted often either and never for mentioning a site. I have to wonder why some say they have I also wonder why those same people keep bringing up minorities being mistreated. I know most of us tip based on service and not a person's color or nationality.
Can you link me to your study?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I think tipping and race may be based on our perception of how we, as in you and I personally, are. It would depend on what part of the country people live in, diverse So Cal vs the south. At least in respect to how "most of us" tip. But I did find this article, with references to studies, as to races and tipping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.7a0bd9e12b78

For me, as with you it seems, if service is good then the tip is good. Race is not a factor. Normally I just automatically double the sales tax, no matter who the server is. But if the server is bad, not caring or rude then on VERY rare occasion I have left 10c. The server knows I didnt forget to tip but knows how much I was displeased. During the Holidays I try to tip above my normal 16% and tip 20% to 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles