U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-20-2018, 06:23 PM
 
215 posts, read 203,096 times
Reputation: 350

Advertisements

Due to perks of my job, I have been fortunate to live in areas of California I wouldn't have ordinarily been able to afford myself. One of these areas was Marin County, California. ( Larkspur, to be exact) It was literally one of the most beautiful areas I have ever even visited, much less lived in. I'm saying this as a person who was traveled throughout Europe, and was born and raised in southern California. The problem is, Marin County, along with places like Newport, and Laguna are prohibitively expensive, at least for me! So, it had me thinking, are there any other areas, in States cheaper than California, that have cities similar to what's found in Marin County, or Laguna, Newport, etc,? I'm talking about areas with a upper-income for that area) population, good schools, beautiful scenery, preferably near a body of water, low crime, numerous amenities, village like feel, decent weather , etc.? Trust me, I know California cities are expensive for a reason, because it's hard to find all the things I mentioned above wrapped in one city, unless you're in California. However, I'm hoping there are other areas people have found that are similar in other states, with a slightly lower price tag.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2018, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
73,653 posts, read 86,076,130 times
Reputation: 44033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
Due to perks of my job, I have been fortunate to live in areas of California I wouldn't have ordinarily been able to afford myself. One of these areas was Marin County, California. ( Larkspur, to be exact) It was literally one of the most beautiful areas I have ever even visited, much less lived in. I'm saying this as a person who was traveled throughout Europe, and was born and raised in southern California. The problem is, Marin County, along with places like Newport, and Laguna are prohibitively expensive, at least for me! So, it had me thinking, are there any other areas, in States cheaper than California, that have cities similar to what's found in Marin County, or Laguna, Newport, etc,? I'm talking about areas with a upper-income for that area) population, good schools, beautiful scenery, preferably near a body of water, low crime, numerous amenities, village like feel, decent weather , etc.? Trust me, I know California cities are expensive for a reason, because it's hard to find all the things I mentioned above wrapped in one city, unless you're in California. However, I'm hoping there are other areas people have found that are similar in other states, with a slightly lower price tag.
That is impossible to say: off the top of my hat I might saw: Marin County, possible Boulder except Marin Co isn't a college town: As for New Port and Laguna beach, the coast of Maine, and other places on the east coast, but they too, are very pricey. Maybe a little less than the cities you are talking about. You know, when you are looking for beauty, good climate, Upper middle class, good schools and all the rest you are going to pay for it. I would think some of what you want could be found in Or or Washington at a lower price. whwaht ok
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 09:20 AM
 
215 posts, read 203,096 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is impossible to say: off the top of my hat I might saw: Marin County, possible Boulder except Marin Co isn't a college town: As for New Port and Laguna beach, the coast of Maine, and other places on the east coast, but they too, are very pricey. Maybe a little less than the cities you are talking about. You know, when you are looking for beauty, good climate, Upper middle class, good schools and all the rest you are going to pay for it. I would think some of what you want could be found in Or or Washington at a lower price. whwaht ok
Some other people were telling me about areas in Washington. I guess I might actually have to look up there, though from what I hear they're weather is extremely dreary, but you got to give something up.

The thing is, I don't mind paying, but it's to the point in the nicer parts of California we're even making $100,000 a year you cannot comfortably afford rent, much less buy a home in the areas I mentioned. $100,000 a year? I mean, does everyone need to become a damn pharmacist or pediatrician before they can hope to live in someplace that's not in the desert, or experiencing gunfire every night? The answer to that question is yes! "No matter how old you are, how long you been working at your current career, or even if you've gotten yourself up to $90,000 a year, go back to school and become a software engineer if you want to live here! Signed, the Bay Area and anywhere beautiful in all of Southern California!" I'm tired of complaining about it, because no one is listening. I admit defeat. I just want to find someplace comprable somewhere else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,902,759 times
Reputation: 12370
"Decent weather" locks you out of most of the US, unless you can handle heavy humidity and/or full winter.

So did your job end? Is that why you're looking elsewhere? Do you want to buy? Budget?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 01:28 PM
 
Location: CHI>DEN>MIA>SF
98 posts, read 45,620 times
Reputation: 186
Boulder doesn't have nice weather and isn't cheap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 01:31 PM
 
215 posts, read 203,096 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
"Decent weather" locks you out of most of the US, unless you can handle heavy humidity and/or full winter.

So did your job end? Is that why you're looking elsewhere? Do you want to buy? Budget?
I'm fortunate enough to be able to retire in about 3 -5 years. The government job I work here in California allows us to retire at 50, but we only receive 85% of our pay after retirement. I will have approximately $6,000 a month retirement check for living expenses. I will have an additional $200,000 in 401 savings, that I'm planning on pinching off of each month to supplement my retirement check. I do not own any property. I should have about $7,000 a month total in retirement money, that will follow me anywhere in the world. That's just not enough to live in the scenic, posh and mild climate areas of California. ( Marin County, Newport, Carlsbad, Laguna, Santa Barbara, etc.) Hopefully I can find someplace similar in another state. Yes, I would love to buy, but I have to be reasonable. I know that's pretty much almost out of reach now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: So Ca
16,862 posts, read 15,878,370 times
Reputation: 14732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Boulder doesn't have nice weather and isn't cheap.
No ocean there, either...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,871 posts, read 2,740,972 times
Reputation: 3178
I was thinking Maine as well, and Marin County I agree is absolutely stunning it offers a vibe, and beauty that I simply can't explain, but it's magnificent nonetheless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 02:05 PM
 
215 posts, read 203,096 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I was thinking Maine as well, and Marin County I agree is absolutely stunning it offers a vibe, and beauty that I simply can't explain, but it's magnificent nonetheless.
That's what I'm talking about! I don't mean to over glorify or over exaggerate, but Marin County literally reminds me of some place like a JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings place, where all the elves and good people live! Numenor or Rivendell or someplace like that! LOL. It's hard to even describe the people what I'm talking about, unless they come visit. And it's not just the geographical beauty, which is stunning, but it's also the overall vibe! I've lived here so long now, I'm totally spoiled! As long as I continue to work for the Department I work for, I can continue to live in the housing provided, which is very nice and extremely cheap, when compared to the rest of Marin. However, I'll be retiring in 3 to 5 years, in which case I'm on my own after that. So, I need to start thinking about someplace I'm going to end up permanently. The Pacific Northwest, Port Townsend, Washington to be exact, is looking pretty good. However, I think the population may be so small, finding a date would be near impossible! Again, that's the beauty of Marin. You could live in this Posh, quaint, somewhat slow area, but then drive 8 miles to San Francisco, and have all the city and nightlife you could ever want. Oh well!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,902,759 times
Reputation: 12370
You keep mentioning the desirability of an "upper-income" or "posh" area, and in the same breath, wanting it on the cheap. This would not be possible in ANY state, so no need to bash California in that regard.

I would consider buying something now, while you are still eligible for a mortgage and can pay it down amap before retirement. You could rent it out until then. Don't give up on California yet. Have you looked at places like Oxnard? Ventura? Port Hueneme? Or between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe? All are water adjacent, big city adjacent, and have lovely views.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top